Where do you fall in anticipation of Covenant?

Started by GrimmVision, May 05, 2017, 10:50:19 PM

Where do you fall in anticipation of Covenant?

I'm full blown excited
19 (33.9%)
I'm excited but cautious
15 (26.8%)
I'm cautious
14 (25%)
I don't care about this movie
0 (0%)
I don't want/need this movie
1 (1.8%)
I've seen this movie and am excited for Alien's future
0 (0%)
I've seen this movie and am worried for Alien's future
0 (0%)
I'm entirely indifferent about it until I see it
1 (1.8%)
I'm worried about this movie
6 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author
Where do you fall in anticipation of Covenant? (Read 3,098 times)

Fire Marshall Bill

My question is why the hell would fox move this movie up in between gotg 2 and pirates of the Caribbean when it had nothing to compete with in august. Convenant has one week here in the states to make money, after that it will severely drop off sales. I think they dropped the ball on this one as it's clear they're trying to make the most money off this alien movie, but why would you put it up against two blockbusters within 2 weeks of each other?

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: Ragonk_Force on May 06, 2017, 11:29:44 AM
Quote from: fiveways on May 06, 2017, 02:32:20 AM
I don't want/need this movie.  I know that seems lame but I am currently waiting for the full spoilers to come out so I can assess if i even want to bother with it in the theatre (I probably will anyway).  Setting my expectations really really low this time.
Why the f**k are you on this forum?

Because Flawed as it is I like Prometheus (and grew up on Alien films).  Though I will admit I like it more in theory than in application.  I like that it tried to do something at least something a little different for a mainstream sci-fi film, and I like what the film could have been with better editing.  The Shaw/David short is actually the film I want.  This very odd companion piece of a woman who looks partly broken by what she has seen (because lets face it she's be pretty f**ked after what happened to her on LV-223) and a f**ked up android that might be psychotic exploring an ancient horrific culture.  That is deep down inside the film I wanted and the promotional video that has impressed me the most. 

Not all of us want the same thing from the franchise and after Prometheus it looked like we weren't going to get that.  As the trailers came out I became more and more disappointed in them because they looked like typical Alien clones with a better designed monster (I'm still not sold on the neomorph).  All I did was flashback to movies like Alien but infinitely shittier.  I know Covenant is going to look really good and will be very well shot, I'm just not sure I'm interested in another cannon fodder Alien film.  I'd rather a film on exploration with the Alien as a background piece than a film about survival which just feels really overdone at this point.

By this point in Prometheus's marketing campaign I was SUPER excited.  Like already bought midnight tickets couldn't wait for it excited.  This time I don't think this is the sequel I want.  So I wait for the spoilers to come out to see if I make time to see it in the theatre.  My life is currently really busy and factoring in an evening to see a movie is actually difficult unless it is something i absolutely have to see.

Quote from: Fire Marshall Bill on May 06, 2017, 12:04:06 PM
My question is why the hell would fox move this movie up in between gotg 2 and pirates of the Caribbean when it had nothing to compete with in august. Convenant has one week here in the states to make money, after that it will severely drop off sales. I think they dropped the ball on this one as it's clear they're trying to make the most money off this alien movie, but why would you put it up against two blockbusters within 2 weeks of each other?

They are trying to get adults into the theatre.  I don't really see either of those films as competition for Covenant.  They appeal to a completely different market and age group (there is crossover as they are all sci-fi, but it relatively small as a lot of sci-fi people really dislike horror movies).  Covenant is I think the only big "R" rated movie coming out this summer (that i can think of).  They think that will carry it to finding its own market niche. 

motherfather

motherfather

If you're in a mixed group of friends all going to the cinema though - Pirates would probably be the safe bet everyone would go and see, while for covenant, its probably more niche than the mass pirates/guardians movie.

I would only go and see pirates or guardians if there was nothing else showing and i had time to kill before a train/plane etc...

I can remember once i rocked up to the cinema by myself and im sure there was nothing but pixar movies, harry potter, lord of the rings and some fast and the spurious nonsense. Urgh.

Nowadays we also have to contend with cinema stupidities like cineman and cinelady. So covenant gets assigned to cineman no doubt, just like sex and the city got assigned to cinelady! wtf? I mean thats what 21st century cinema demographics boils down to for marketing execs?

hfeldhaus

Because August is a ditching month, where studios drop there smaller/less profitable films. It's a hard month to do well in.

zoidy

Excited. (as much as expectations of any movie can make me excited, it's all relative)

I thought Prometheus, while flawed, was really very good. There's so much good in it, it's quite surprising when I watch it again or catch it late night on tv, and realise just how much of the image and music and ... oddness ... has stuck in my brain.

I *really* like it.

And I get that same creepy oddness from what I see and hear of Covenant, mixed of course with more aliens of sorts.

juxtapose

Could not have said it better myself zoidy. .thats exactly how i feel about prometheus. .but i am even more pumped up about covenant. .the only thing i felt was missing from prometheus was a bit more gore and action and ofcause the xeno's. .so covenant has all that. .will miss the engineers. .but i got a feeling they will be back in future installments. .

Ingwar

Quote from: echobbase79 on May 05, 2017, 11:53:54 PM
Excited, but cautious. While most of the reviews have been positive, I'm inclined to listen to a fan review like Hicks or Mr. Tak. I thought Hicks would give it a solid 7.5/8, but at least he enjoyed the movie overall. I think I'll like it, but will have some problems.

Same here. Exited but a bit cautious. On the other hand I'm fully optimistic. Because Hicks gave it 6/7 out of 10 doesn't mean you won't give it more (or less). Every movie's got some issues.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one :)

echobbase79

I don't want/need this movie.  I know that seems lame but I am currently waiting for the full spoilers to come out so I can assess if i even want to bother with it in the theatre (I probably will anyway).  Setting my expectations really really low this time.
:D :D :D

The Cruentus

Quote from: Ingwar on May 06, 2017, 02:23:58 PM
Excited, but cautious. While most of the reviews have been positive, I'm inclined to listen to a fan review like Hicks or Mr. Tak. I thought Hicks would give it a solid 7.5/8, but at least he enjoyed the movie overall. I think I'll like it, but will have some problems.

Except maybe Androids....unless they need them.  :laugh:

echobbase79

Quote from: Ingwar on May 06, 2017, 02:23:58 PM

Same here. Exited but a bit cautious. On the other hand I'm fully optimistic. Because Hicks gave it 6/7 out of 10 doesn't mean you won't give it more (or less). Every movie's got some issues.

Yeah, this is true. I won't be going into the movie with a set of problems. When I watch it will be on my terms.  :)

Citadel

Full blown. Already booked twice within the opening week so I can process it better the second time. If it's better than Prometheus, I know I'll love it. The general consensus seems to be everything I was hoping for.

Remember, you should go into Covenant with a clear head. Don't let journalists, reviewers and other fans completely ruin your anticipation. Your own review counts the most.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: fiveways on May 06, 2017, 12:34:19 PM

Because Flawed as it is I like Prometheus (and grew up on Alien films).  Though I will admit I like it more in theory than in application.  I like that it tried to do something at least something a little different for a mainstream sci-fi film, and I like what the film could have been with better editing.  The Shaw/David short is actually the film I want.  This very odd companion piece of a woman who looks partly broken by what she has seen (because lets face it she's be pretty f**ked after what happened to her on LV-223) and a f**ked up android that might be psychotic exploring an ancient horrific culture.  That is deep down inside the film I wanted and the promotional video that has impressed me the most. 

Not all of us want the same thing from the franchise and after Prometheus it looked like we weren't going to get that.  As the trailers came out I became more and more disappointed in them because they looked like typical Alien clones with a better designed monster (I'm still not sold on the neomorph).  All I did was flashback to movies like Alien but infinitely shittier.  I know Covenant is going to look really good and will be very well shot, I'm just not sure I'm interested in another cannon fodder Alien film.  I'd rather a film on exploration with the Alien as a background piece than a film about survival which just feels really overdone at this point.

By this point in Prometheus's marketing campaign I was SUPER excited.  Like already bought midnight tickets couldn't wait for it excited.  This time I don't think this is the sequel I want.  So I wait for the spoilers to come out to see if I make time to see it in the theatre.  My life is currently really busy and factoring in an evening to see a movie is actually difficult unless it is something i absolutely have to see.

They are trying to get adults into the theatre.  I don't really see either of those films as competition for Covenant.  They appeal to a completely different market and age group (there is crossover as they are all sci-fi, but it relatively small as a lot of sci-fi people really dislike horror movies).  Covenant is I think the only big "R" rated movie coming out this summer (that i can think of).  They think that will carry it to finding its own market niche.

My fear is that the Alien Covenant sequel is going to end up being another cannon fodder Alien film. I think the Engineers are an interesting element of this prequel series, but I have the bad feeling that Ridley Scott and FOX just want to make more traditional Alien films instead, and all this grandiose mythology waiting to be explored is going to be thrown out the window.

Perhaps it is a smart move, from a commercial point of view, but artistically speaking is a disappointing decision.

fiveways

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on May 06, 2017, 04:18:34 PM
Quote from: fiveways on May 06, 2017, 12:34:19 PM

My fear is that the Alien Covenant sequel is going to end up being another cannon fodder Alien film. I think the Engineers are an interesting element of this prequel series, but I have the bad feeling that Ridley Scott and FOX just want to make more traditional Alien films instead, and all this grandiose mythology waiting to be explored is going to be thrown out the window.

Perhaps it is a smart move, from a commercial point of view, but artistically speaking is a disappointing decision.

That remains to be seen as everyone i went to Prometheus are completely uninterested in Covenant.  They've already dismissed it as a "typical Alien movie" and figure they'll just watch it on Netflix in 5 months.  Will it win back people or lose the people that want the more Scifi direction?

Trying to appeal to everyone (scifi and gore hounds especially) often ends in failure.

Protozoid

Protozoid

Yeah, the Alien connection backfired with the folks I know.

When I went to see Prometheus with my brothers, one by one the rest of my family became interested and joined the group. They were intrigued by the premise of the movie, found that compelling, and some of them (my Mom, for example) were on the fence until we told them this was going to be less scary and gory than a typical Alien film. We love scifi, not horror. We like to discuss ideas, not watch girls get attacked by rubber monsters in the shower. I ended up seeing the movie with twelve people! First time the whole family had seen a movie together, and I was 27! And it was the premise, not nostalgia, that compelled every one. It was plenty scary, too, as my Mom and little sister covered their eyes for most of the second half. After the movie, we discussed it for hours. We still talk about Prometheus to this day. It was a rare movie that my SciFi loving family fully embraced. It was my brother's favorite movie for a few years. We loved it. Great experience.

With Covenant, my family has almost zero interest. Hey aren't convinced that it's related to Prometheus in any meaningful way, and looks like a dumb monster movie by comparison. The reviews so far indicate the same. I couldn't even get my girlfriend to watch the whole trailer, much less show interest in going with me. And it's because the weak premise and emphasis on exploitation elements like gore over story. This movie is a huge letdown for every SciFi fan I know. This horror crap is a lot easier than thoughtful SciFi. They chickened out on the setup for Prometheus 2 and made this hollow fanbait instead because its safer and easier. I don't have any respect for safe or easy.

acidreign

I'm pretty stoked. I've never had lofty expectations for it, so I'm prepared to enjoy it for what it is. I'm more interested in how it succeeds or fails on its own merits *as a movie* rather than how it fits into anyone's preconceptions of the mythology.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed