Will we get a director's extended cut?

Started by salomonj, May 05, 2017, 08:03:18 PM

Author
Will we get a director's extended cut? (Read 1,597 times)

salomonj

So I keep hearing that a lot was cut from the film. Is it possible that we might get a exerted version for the blu-ray release?

Evanus

I hope so, but I doubt it. It never happened for Prometheus.

echobbase79

They might release a unrated version depending if they had to cut out any gore from the movie. I don't see it happening considering how gruesome the film is. I also didn't know they cut out a lot of material from the movie?

Thankfully the novelization will have all that intact.  :) And hopefully, we'll get deleted scenes on the bluray release.

salomonj

Quote from: echobbase79 on May 05, 2017, 08:16:23 PM
They might release a unrated version depending if they had to cut out any gore from the movie. I don't see it happening considering how gruesome the film is. I also didn't know they cut out a lot of material from the movie?

Thankfully the novelization will have all that intact.  :) And hopefully, we'll get deleted scenes on the bluray release.
I was looking through the scified comments and the admin there who attended the premiere said they cut a lot out from the film.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

From what we've seen from the trailers, I only noticed one cut scene. From what we've heard from the various tests, there's been a few sequences snipped.

echobbase79

Did he give any specifics? Maybe he's referring to the Shaw material? I'd be curious to hear from people who saw the film during the test screening process and see what they have to say.

Corporal Hicks

I've thought of another shot that was different in the trailers to the finished film. Not deleted, just alternate.

irn

Quote from: Evanus on May 05, 2017, 08:04:13 PM
I hope so, but I doubt it. It never happened for Prometheus.

Ridley Scott seems more personally invested in Covenant, so he might treat it like one of his babies and release a directors cut. Prometheus was more like a made-by-studio-committee production. Just my impression.

The Cruentus

I heard that at least one scene was cut too, chances are it will either be restored in another cut or at least put in the deleted scenes section of the dvd.
Novel would likely have it but they would early script stuff too so you will be getting something different.

Whos_Nick

I hope there is because there were definitely scenes cut from the film

SM

If the scenes were cut for the right reasons, and Ridley is happy with the cut - then a Directors Cut is redundant.

El Diablo

Quote from: Whos_Nick on May 06, 2017, 05:34:20 AM

Once I see the final version in a few weeks I'll gladly provide you guys with some information regarding any edits or changes. At this point I think it's safe to discuss the differences between the various cuts that were screened. I attended two different test screenings last year, one in October and another in December. The changes and edits were minor so I'm not sure how different the final version will be.

Protozoid

Quote from: El Diablo on May 06, 2017, 06:06:56 AM
Quote from: Whos_Nick on May 06, 2017, 05:34:20 AM

Once I see the final version in a few weeks I'll gladly provide you guys with some information regarding any edits or changes. At this point I think it's safe to discuss the differences between the various cuts that were screened. I attended two different test screenings last year, one in October and another in December. The changes and edits were minor so I'm not sure how different the final version will be.
That would be fascinating. To give us something to discuss in the meantime, what do you think the intention was behind those minor changes? Were they just tightening the pacing, or were they trying different things? Thanks!

El Diablo

El Diablo

It seemed as if Scott wanted to add a few character beats. He did tighten up the pacing near the end by
Spoiler
omitting little moments that telegraphed a big reveal, making it more effective in the second cut.
[close]
I live in the U.S. so I don't get to see the film for a bit. I'll get into the spoilers once the film is released here.

Protozoid

Very interesting. I never would have guessed that he might add character stuff and reduce the telegraphing. I expect the opposite to happen during the stereotypical Hollywood post-production process. Interested to see how the December and final cut compare.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed