Ridley Scott Talks Return of Engineers for Alien: Covenant Sequel

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 21, 2017, 08:21:26 AM

Author
Ridley Scott Talks Return of Engineers for Alien: Covenant Sequel (Read 53,283 times)

0321recon

Quote from: Evanus on Jun 21, 2017, 09:56:56 PM
I want more plot, character development AND expensive sweeping CGI shots. I want this sh*t to be epic.

This is going to be a grand showdown between David, the engineers, the Xeno/protomorphs, and perhaps the colonial marines, so we need some of those sweeping shots.

Quote from: 0321recon on Jun 21, 2017, 10:11:07 PM
I want more plot, character development AND expensive sweeping CGI shots. I want this sh*t to be epic.

This is going to be a grand showdown between David, the engineers, the Xeno/protomorphs, and perhaps the colonial marines, so we need some of those sweeping shots.

Space Jockey (God), Engineers (Titans), Humans, Xeno (Eagle), and David. Please.

David travels back to LV-223 in order to obtain the quantities of black goo that he needs for his experiments on the colonists (doesn't have enough left after the assault on the Engineer city. Space Jockey awakens (hence the title) to discover David has destroyed paradise and the peaceful Engineers (ones who didn't rebel against the SJ and steal it's tech). SJ tracks the Covenant to LV-223. In the mean time David conducts his experiments. Earth send Colonial Marines to investigate. Battle between David's forces and marines. Deacon appears at some point also (now huge). SJ turns up and kicks the shit out of everyone. SJ takes David's eggs, maybe adding it's own touch (bio-mechanical), and sets out to deliver them to Earth. David/a surviving hero/or the Deacon sabotages the SJ and it crashes on LV-426.

HABIT

Quote from: justind on Jun 21, 2017, 11:23:21 PM

Space Jockey (God), Engineers (Titans), Colonial Marines (Humans), Xeno (Eagle), and David. Please.

David travels back to LV-223 in order to obtain the quantities of black goo that he needs for his experiments on the colonists (doesn't have enough left after the assault on the Engineer city. Space Jockey awakens (hence the title) to discover David has destroyed paradise and the peaceful Engineers (ones who didn't rebel against the SJ and steal it's tech). SJ tracks the Covenant to LV-223. In the mean time David conducts his experiments. Earth send Colonial Marines to investigate. Battle between David's forces and marines. Deacon appears at some point also. SJ turns up and kicks the shit out of everyone. SJ takes David's eggs, maybe adding it's own touch (bio-mechanical), and sets out to deliver them to Earth. David/a surviving hero/or the Deacon sabotages the SJ and it crashes on LV-426.
I think it's time to accept that the Engineers are the Space Jockeys, mate.

LastSurvivor92

Think we could get some Xeno vs Engineer battles going on in the film?

Quote from: Xeneus on Jun 21, 2017, 11:24:59 PM
Quote from: justind on Jun 21, 2017, 11:23:21 PM

Space Jockey (God), Engineers (Titans), Colonial Marines (Humans), Xeno (Eagle), and David. Please.

David travels back to LV-223 in order to obtain the quantities of black goo that he needs for his experiments on the colonists (doesn't have enough left after the assault on the Engineer city. Space Jockey awakens (hence the title) to discover David has destroyed paradise and the peaceful Engineers (ones who didn't rebel against the SJ and steal it's tech). SJ tracks the Covenant to LV-223. In the mean time David conducts his experiments. Earth send Colonial Marines to investigate. Battle between David's forces and marines. Deacon appears at some point also. SJ turns up and kicks the shit out of everyone. SJ takes David's eggs, maybe adding it's own touch (bio-mechanical), and sets out to deliver them to Earth. David/a surviving hero/or the Deacon sabotages the SJ and it crashes on LV-426.
I think it's time to accept that the Engineers are the Space Jockeys, mate.

Why's that? The Space jockey is literally 3 times the size of the rebel Engineers. Rebel Engineers themselves are bigger than the subservient "Engineers". The story of Prometheus is about a group of Titans stealing the fire of creation from God and giving it to Man and then being punished by an Eagle that eats their liver every day. The Engineers can't be both God and the Titans. Their ships look the same but smaller because they stole the tech for the SJ. They were trying to create a bioweapon to fight the SJ, maybe even a version of something which the SJ already has (the bio-mechanical Xeno).

Also take into account there needs to be a big reveal in part 3. Some kind of larger menace. That won't just simply be the bio-mechanical Xeno. Ridley is over them and the casual audience won't know the difference (it will appear though). It won't be the Queen either as it's not Ridley's creation. What's left? What is the biggest mystery of Alien, the very reason for the prequel trilogy? It will be the Space Jockey, the only larger menace and true villain of the entire Alien storyline. He always said that was the story of Alien which he wanted to explore. He's not so senile to make it into a giant blue human. Again, think of the Prometheus mythology. We have the Engineers because the SJ seeded many planets. A section rebelled and stole the tech. Now we are involved and even making similar mistakes (David). Ridey loves the idea of Ancient Aliens and the hubris of creation.

It's entirely possible that he's deliberately misleading you to maintain the surprise. I don't know why people expect him to tell nothing but the truth. So to discredit the ideas above is entirely close minded.

When you consider all things we know: The mythological story of Prometheus. The massive size discrepancies. The desire of Fox to expand the universe. The title of the next film. LV-426 being in the same system as LV-223. David setting a course for the Engineer home planet but only primitive worshiping "Engineers" existing there.. The possible ways to tie the 3rd prequel directly to Alien...

Everyone wins this way.

Evanus

Quote from: Chronicle on Jun 21, 2017, 11:28:51 PM

Think we could get some Xeno vs Engineer battles going on in the film?
Well, if Ridley wants the engineers to return, I think it's possible. Would be quite interesting.

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 21, 2017, 08:21:26 AM
In a recent interview with Sir Ridley Scott recorded during the Alien: Covenant press junkets, Scott talks a little about what's he has in store for the Alien: Covenant sequel (also currently known as Alien: Awakening)!
I could live with that.  In fact, I'd be fine with a "battle of the gods" trope. Here's to a satisfying "through-line"! 

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Jun 21, 2017, 10:09:23 PM
I made a thread the other day that basically near as hell echoes this plot as a direct way forward for the prequels. Just have the Engineers explore why their colony got straight f**ked, realize whatever human/android did this, and learning that its the Covenant. David arrives on Paradise, letting loose a beacon from the Covenant later on to attract other people who could carry the progeny of the Covenant crew that's been festering on "Paradise", what have you. And have the Engineers pissed as f**k their planet of origin suffered genocide, and you got a team that received David's SOS and arrive on paradise some time later. When the aliens get onboard whatever vessel the colonial military arrive on they self destruct, or perhaps not leading to the opening of another sequel.

And it all boils down to the complete genocide of the Engineers homeworld while learning of their culture from whomever followed the Colony Ship's SOS. Which would better explain this poster/marketing gimmick

Whatever happens the last of the engineers mount a counter attack once and for all on Earth now that we pretty much ruined everything beyond their hopes and dreams, relay to the LV-223, but it's too late and many of the Juggernauts fly out into space as their crews as are assaulted, except for one who crash lands on nearby LV-426, let's out a beacon.  Knowing one way or another this is connected to the operation to rescue the Covenant crew from whatever SOS, they triangulate the position to the same Gas Giant, with the same set of moons that were considered quarantine, which the Prometheus went missing from. Intrigued if there might be survivors, or indeed, this hostile race staging an attack on Earth, they get a ship, the Nostromo, a beat up tug nobody would care if they got missing. To locate whatever happened to the Colonial troops far far away on Paradise. And to locate and retrieve whatever killed them off. Nobody would notice if they just simply died and they could intercept the Nostromo once it gets into the core systems on its way to Earth. But Ripley kind of f**ked that all up.

I think the most powerful take away from all of this in a plot sense, is David committed the largest scale genocide on the progenitors of life on Earth, and god knows life on Earth elsewhere throughout the cosmos.  David killed God. And nobody cares. And nobody, perhaps a select few, would know about it. It also explains why the company would want the Alien so badly as a weapon, as it was designed as an extremely potent population leveler, it was designed that way.

And really, for all David wanted to be God, creating his own life, his largest accomplishment in the deepest darkest untraveled part of space, nobody knew or appreciated his work. His goal in his life ultimately proving thankless.

It isn't word for word what I had in mind for a sequel, but it's pretty god damn close as just mental masturbation of where they could go from here. Which is either a plus for me a or a minus for Ridley for being so predictable.

To this, and virtually all of the above, I don't think Scott will have the budget for this kind of "epic showdown", but - who knows - you can do a lot with practical effects.

question11

i want to see the engineers run a train on david and just decimate his ass

whiterabbit

Quote from: question11 on Jun 22, 2017, 12:35:56 AM
i want to see the engineers run a train on david and just decimate his ass
We're talking about a Juggernaut like train, ramming him straight through a goddamn planet, obliterating him and it in the process, right? Now that would be the shit.

SM

razeak

I like the sweeping shots, but lots of great films with smaller budgets increased creativity. Rocky and Alien are two that jump to mind.

Mr. Xenomorph

Mr. Xenomorph

Sir Ridley gave me a great birthday gift today with this information. This just sounds amazing.

I'm pretty sure that Fox will allow Sir Ridley to finish his trilogy. Hollywood likes name brands because they're a safer bet, and Fox doesn't have many other sci-fi brands with this name recognition. Independence Day 2 didn't do well at all, Planet of the Apes is on part three and the Predator is currently in production after its hiatus. Covenant had a crappy release date. Release it closer to Halloween where it has less competition and I'm sure it will do better (honestly, whoever said it was a good idea to release a niche horror movie in between two juggernaut tent poles instead of September should have their head(s) examined). It may go on hiatus again after that, but I think we'll get one more at least.

Lonely Universe

Good news indeed. I was worried he was sweeping them under the rug.

I like the Engineers, I just don't want them to be the Space Jockey. If they're a rival species then I'm all for em.

tleilaxu

Quote from: Mr. Xenomorph on Jun 22, 2017, 02:05:05 AM
Sir Ridley gave me a great birthday gift today with this information. This just sounds amazing.

I'm pretty sure that Fox will allow Sir Ridley to finish his trilogy. Hollywood likes name brands because they're a safer bet, and Fox doesn't have many other sci-fi brands with this name recognition. Independence Day 2 didn't do well at all, Planet of the Apes is on part three and the Predator is currently in production after its hiatus. Covenant had a crappy release date. Release it closer to Halloween where it has less competition and I'm sure it will do better (honestly, whoever said it was a good idea to release a niche horror movie in between two juggernaut tent poles instead of September should have their head(s) examined). It may go on hiatus again after that, but I think we'll get one more at least.
They have to let him finish it or I'm literally going to b̶o̶m̶b̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶d̶q̶u̶a̶r̶t̶e̶r̶s̶ be really disappointed. I think Planet of the Apes is going to flop. Can't imagine this stuff having much of a pull nowadays, especially if all these other movies didn't.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed