Prey Catch All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 22, 2021, 07:54:07 AM

Author
Prey Catch All Thread (Read 329,527 times)

Engineer

Engineer

Ps. Feral = predator
So I don't get why you need to distinguish between the two.
Predators are predators. Different places but from the same species; just like people.

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Engineer on Aug 28, 2022, 03:59:16 AMI fish. I use a pole. I think people who go noodling are crazy, but they're still fishing and that doesn't make them nothing; it makes them fishermen who are different from me, and that's ok...

That's actually a good analogy that can even be used with regular hunting. Some use a bow, compound or recurve, others use a rifle, and some want to use a spear. Some have their risks and rewards, as it's much more challenging to get in with a spear then a rifle, with the risk of getting caught in the animal's fury if the person wounds it. It's a different approach to things but it's all hunting in the end. JH went in stealthy and only goes up close and personal when the opportunity allows it, CH also employs some stealth like JH but is more brash about going in melee due to being a hot blooded young male teen. Super Predators don't follow any code so anything goes in their hunting style, however they use falconry and alien dogs that is also used for hunting. Feral climbs up the food chain, going in hard and brutal with anything he finds worthy to hunt and fight.

All of these are traits of not only a hunter but also a warrior, there is nothing out of the ordinary here I don't see how Feral's behavior makes him any less different to other fictional races out there, he still follows a code of honor and goes toe to toe with his opponents on much equal footing that he can get. Fangs of the snake/wolf vs his wristblades (metal fangs), claws and strength of the bear vs Feral, spear combat and the speargun vs the Comanche with their spears/arrows, and of course the more advanced gear vs the French Trappers' tactics and gunpower.

Additionally, it lays out the very thing that is missing from the past films, actual stalking and tracking. Feral moving through the trees, following foot prints, blood trails, evidence of presence, observing new prey creatures, all of these that you see in actual hunting. Ironically, this alone makes him more of a hunter the past Predators, as we barely see them doing any of these things. Past films just have them show up offscreen and then start chasing after the main characters. Here, you see the build up of how they move and think. Its a great display of a hunter's mindset. Personally, to lay the hunting part even thicker to Feral, we should have had moments of him collecting the bear skull and skulls of the fallen Comanche and Trappers. I find it odd that he never thought of taking these, as many of them did put up a good fight that a Predator would consider worthy of adding to his collection.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Aug 28, 2022, 06:33:39 AMPredator A: "No Scotsman puts sugar on his jerky."
Predator B: "But my uncle Angus is a Scotsman and he puts sugar on his jerky."
Predator A: "But no true Scotsman puts sugar on his jerky."
Fictional characters, not logic arguments, but ok.

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Aug 28, 2022, 06:46:27 AMAdditionally, it lays out the very thing that is missing from the past films, actual stalking and tracking. Feral moving through the trees, following foot prints, blood trails, evidence of presence, observing new prey creatures, all of these that you see in actual hunting.
Jungle Hunter stalks the commandos, tracks their trail, inspects evidence of their presence, even uses calls to lure prey.

Like ... Jungle Hunter is the most hunter out of all of them, this is the weirdest take in the thread.

Engineer

Engineer

Yet...
Some human hunters rely on dogs pinning a wild bore to the ground while they stick it with a k-bar...

Different hunting tactics; different cultures...

PS. I recall feral approaching a field full of skinned bison and he picks up the same cigar naru did to inspect it... (tracking it's prey)

overthere

overthere

Quote from: Engineer on Aug 28, 2022, 07:16:01 AMYet...
Some human hunters rely on dogs pinning a wild bore to the ground while they stick it with a k-bar...

Ok so there are probably Predators who do not hunt at all. They work 9 to 5 in an office and go to sleep. Do we want to see a movie about them too? Predators are Predators, right? Doesn't matter what they do on screen, it is equally good to present them in that way?

A movie about Michael Myers but just the years where he is in the institution. Sitting, eating, not killing anyone in that period. He is still Michael Myers, but is that the point of the character?

Just because you can make a case that another fictional character of the same fictional species can behave differently, that is not the point of that fictional character. We want to see a specific set of characteristics exhibited.

This Predator is a lousy Predator and I don't want to see movies about lousy Predators just because a case can be made that they can exist in the lore.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: overthere on Aug 28, 2022, 07:32:11 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Aug 28, 2022, 07:16:01 AMYet...

Ok so there are probably Predators who do not hunt at all. They work 9 to 5 in an office and go to sleep. Do we want to see a movie about them too? Predators are Predators, right? Doesn't matter what they do on screen, it is equally good to present them in that way?

A movie about Michael Myers but just the years where he is in the institution. Sitting, eating, not killing anyone in that period. He is still Michael Myers, but is that the point of the character?

Just because you can make a case that another fictional character of the same fictional species can behave differently, that is not the point of that fictional character. We want to see a specific set of characteristics exhibited.

This Predator is a lousy Predator and I don't want to see movies about lousy Predators just because a case can be made that they can exist in the lore.

? ? ?
I never said I wanted to see any accountant-predators...

I never even said anyone had to like THIS representation of a predator.

Only that the predators have every bit of diversity that humans have, and honestly, that diversity is no reason to discount feral as a hunter/predator... because he is... you see it, onscreen. Just like you do with jungle hunter and city hunter and the super predators. He just uses different tactics to hunt. That's not a fault or a discrepancy; it's a form of diversity that even us humans share...

SiL

SiL

Quote from: overthere on Aug 28, 2022, 07:32:11 AMOk so there are probably Predators who do not hunt at all. They work 9 to 5 in an office and go to sleep. Do we want to see a movie about them too? Predators are Predators, right? Doesn't matter what they do on screen, it is equally good to present them in that way?

Thank you!

I don't want to see Jason Voorhees Predator any more than I want to see 9-5 Office job Predator.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SiL on Aug 28, 2022, 07:44:29 AM
Quote from: overthere on Aug 28, 2022, 07:32:11 AMOk so there are probably Predators who do not hunt at all. They work 9 to 5 in an office and go to sleep. Do we want to see a movie about them too? Predators are Predators, right? Doesn't matter what they do on screen, it is equally good to present them in that way?

Thank you!

I don't want to see Jason Voorhees Predator any more than I want to see 9-5 Office job Predator.

And you didn't... it was feral. Different hunting tactics. As individualistic as any human.

overthere

overthere

Quote from: Engineer on Aug 28, 2022, 07:41:18 AM? ? ?

Only that the predators have every bit of diversity that humans have, and honestly, that diversity is no reason to discount feral as a hunter/predator... because he is... you see it, onscreen. Just like you do with jungle hunter and city hunter and the super predators. He just uses different tactics to hunt. That's not a fault or a discrepancy; it's a form of diversity that even us humans share...

His tactic is to walk in among 10 people and just start killing them, taking as much damage as possible in the process. He was even bitten by the wolf. In an earlier scene he killed a snake which tried to bite him and I thought "wow, this guy is prepared for anything". But nah.
His wrist gauntlet must have one of those in-game consoles because he acts like typed "god mode" in it.

Honestly, based on the rest of the movie, I don't see why he was killed by the headshot with his own projectile.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 28, 2022, 12:54:09 AMPredators can be whatever the character needs for the film.

Based thread derail

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Engineer on Aug 28, 2022, 07:51:23 AM

Thank you!

And you didn't... it was feral. Different hunting tactics. As individualistic as any human.
Feral is Jason Voorhees cosplaying a Predator.

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 28, 2022, 07:56:10 AM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 28, 2022, 12:54:09 AMPredators can be whatever the character needs for the film.

Based thread derail
If anyone replies with "the pathogen can be whatever the plot needs it to be" watch it really explode.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: overthere on Aug 28, 2022, 07:53:29 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Aug 28, 2022, 07:41:18 AM? ? ?

His tactic is to walk in among 10 people and just start killing them, taking as much damage as possible in the process. He was even bitten by the wolf. In an earlier scene he killed a snake which tried to bite him and I thought "wow, this guy is prepared for anything". But nah.
His wrist gauntlet must have one of those in-game consoles because he acts like typed "god mode" in it.

Honestly, based on the rest of the movie, I don't see why he was killed by the headshot with his own projectile.

Lol umkay
Because a hunter can't be bested by its prey (sorry Dutch). Lol
Obviously he didn't have a "god mode." The bear gave him a run for his money before he landed that killing blow. You even see that bright green blood dripping from the bear's jaws. 

SiL

SiL

The trailer did a better job of the bear fight than the movie did.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SiL on Aug 28, 2022, 07:57:26 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Aug 28, 2022, 07:51:23 AM

Thank you!

Feral is Jason Voorhees cosplaying a Predator.

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 28, 2022, 07:56:10 AM

Based thread derail
If anyone replies with "the pathogen can be whatever the plot needs it to be" watch it really explode.

How is feral Jason voorhees but jungle hunter is not? or city hunter? Lmao
They hunt. They kill. They use tactics specific to themselves (just like people). You're acting like feral is somehow different from every other predator we've seen. He hunts; he kills. That's it. Lol it's not that deep a concept, but it's also definitely not nothing.

Quote from: SiL on Aug 28, 2022, 08:01:25 AMThe trailer did a better job of the bear fight than the movie did.
Opinions are like assholes; everyone has one and they all stink

SiL

SiL

Jesus Christ I've explained it a dozen times by now. Either you're not even trying or you're trolling, and those are the nice options. I'm done.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed