James Cameron Talks Alien: Covenant

Started by Pvt. Himmel, Jan 27, 2017, 06:45:47 PM

Author
James Cameron Talks Alien: Covenant (Read 35,152 times)

SM

SM

QuoteLets forget any valid points people on both sides have made in this thread and hand wave it all away with statements like this.

Same goes for SM directly below this post.

Must've missed those "valid points"...

426Buddy

Quote from: SM on Jan 27, 2017, 09:42:50 PM
QuoteLets forget any valid points people on both sides have made in this thread and hand wave it all away with statements like this.

Unless you're the one making them you always do.

SM

SM

Ooooh!  Saucer of milk, table 5!

But please, "valid points".  What are they?  It's one guy trying to express an honest opinion as diplomatically as possible - and people predictably get unnecessarily bent out of shape.

Why does Cameron's opinion mean so much?  Especially in light of the end of what he said.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 27, 2017, 09:43:24 PM
Quote from: SM on Jan 27, 2017, 09:42:50 PM

Unless you're the one making them you always do.

Come on, don't make me ask again please fellas.

And snipped.

426Buddy

Quote from: SM on Jan 27, 2017, 09:45:07 PM

But please, "valid points".  What are they?  It's one guy trying to express an honest opinion as diplomatically as possible - and people predictably get unnecessarily bent out of shape.

I said valid points on both sides, which there are. Are you saying there are no valid points on either side of this or just those that didn't agree with his opinion? Cameron has expressed a fairly different opinion when asked about the franchise before so yeah I question his total honesty here.

Only a couple posters actually seemed bent out of shape, maybe even only one, and why does that bother you so much?

@hicks - Okay i'll stop now.

SM

SM

QuoteI said valid points on both sides, which there are. Are you saying there are no valid points on either side of this or just those that didn't agree with his opinion?

No, I asked what the valid points were.

SuicideDoors

Why does Cameron's opinion work so much?  Especially in light of the end of what he said.

Maybe you're inciting fellow fans? Yeah, some of us have an opinion against Cameron's words, but you've degenerated it into uneducated text speak. No need for it. No one is insulting you personally?

Xenomorphine

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 27, 2017, 08:49:08 PM
He had no problem with a sequel to aliens just last july. "He shared it with me, and I think it's a very strong script, and he can go make it tomorrow."

So? He's entitled to have a high opinion of an unfilmed script. Maybe it's got that spectacular new take on the series, which he's said he'd like to see. Maybe it really does add something new and interesting which he found compelling.

I've always felt underwhelmed by the third and fourth films, too. Doesn't mean I don't acknowledge they have good points, but on the whole, I've never really been wowed by them. He's done the same in previous interviews. He's pointed out stuff about 'Alien 3' which he likes, even though he would have preferred it if it had gone in a completely different direction.

I honestly don't understand why this is so controversial. He's not saying anything here which he hasn't in other interviews.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 27, 2017, 09:14:05 PM
The timing of this in relation to Blomkamp's film is very peculiar.  I also recognize a negative tone in James Cameron here but can't quite pinpoint where his gripe is, given his previous statements.

There's nothing conspiratorial about it. A journalist asked his opinion and he gave an honest answer. Most of the interview is about a completely unreleated documentary.

SM

SM

Quote from: SuicideDoors on Jan 27, 2017, 10:04:31 PM

Why does Cameron's opinion work so much?  Especially in light of the end of what he said.

Maybe you're inciting fellow fans? Yeah, some of us have an opinion against Cameron's words, but you've degenerated it into uneducated text speak. No need for it. No one is insulting you personally?

I just find the over-reaction ridiculous.
But seriously, you're right.  There was no need for me to get involved in the whinge-fest.

juxtapose

cameron is going to be making avatar sequals and eventually maybe prequals till the day he dies and ridley will be making alien prequals till he himself turn into a fossilised space jockey. .asuming covenant will be a fanancial success. .i guess he will do the odd thriller inbetween. .but thats how i see their futures panned out. .and theirs certainly nothing wrong wiith that. .what cameron said was and honest and diplomatic responce to the question he was asked. . All i saw was his great adoration for ridley mixed with some concern . . . He seems cautiously excited about the prospect af another alien prequal. .now lets f**king stone him to death!. .lol. .a mean how absurd?

JokersWarPig

Quote from: SiL on Jan 27, 2017, 08:51:37 PM
Jesus Christ, some of you are taking this so personally. Calm your damn tits, people!

That's what I thought as I read through the first page

I don't find any of what Cameron said to be back handed or an insult...

ebbhead40

Meh He may have a point, but personally I'd still rather sit through another few Alien films than another 4 Avatar sequels any day!  ;D

SuicideDoors

Quote from: SM on Jan 27, 2017, 10:09:24 PM
Quote from: SuicideDoors on Jan 27, 2017, 10:04:31 PM

I just find the over-reaction ridiculous.
But seriously, you're right.  There was no need for my to get involved in the whinge-fest.

That was an extremely level-headed response. Respect to you.

I've personally read into Cameron's comments a bit more than your average fan, but where would we would be without opinions? 

Darth Vile

Nothing to see hear. Cameron is basically reiterating what Scott himself has said about Alien tropes and memes. They are both right. On the face of it the Alien franchise didn't need another entry. In a few months we'll get a feel for if Prometheus/Alien Covenant have added texture and narrative to validate more films... 

shawsbaby

Strange that Cameron is discussing A:C as though Prometheus hasn't already happened? Ridley already began revisiting the franchise 5 years ago.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed