What Are My Chances? Alien: Director's Cut vs. Theatrical Cut – AvP Galaxy Podcast #177

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 29, 2024, 06:57:32 PM

Author
What Are My Chances? Alien: Director's Cut vs. Theatrical Cut – AvP Galaxy Podcast #177 (Read 4,433 times)

battyfan

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Jan 31, 2024, 07:19:01 PMI wish they could release the Alien extended edition they originally did for the quadrilogy before Ridley got involved. Lazurika said it was pretty much ready to go before Scott blocked it.

Wow. I didn't know that.

GreybackElder

"reproducing with multiple life cycles."

As AvPG's resident lab tech/parasitologist there are some parasites, specifically plasmodium species(cause of malaria) that have an asexual and sexual stage of reproduction depending on the situation. I

As far as nematodes go, humans are the definitive host and some organisms produce either fertilized eggs or larvae that may be infective to a new host.

Stay tuned for more fun facts with AvPGs resident lab tech/parasitologist.

oduodu

Quote from: battyfan on Feb 01, 2024, 04:07:37 PM
Quote from: TheBATMAN on Jan 31, 2024, 07:19:01 PMI wish they could release the Alien extended edition they originally did for the quadrilogy before Ridley got involved. Lazurika said it was pretty much ready to go before Scott blocked it.

Wow. I didn't know that.

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=62824.msg2424524#msg2424524

SiL

Quote from: Wweyland on Feb 01, 2024, 12:33:14 PMI would have liked if Ridley just went with the "lets insert the deleted scenes" approach that he originally intended. Just a longer cut for the fans, like the Aliens and Alien: Resurrection one.
Aliens is an actual director's cut. Cameron prefer the long version.

SM

He wanted a version he thought would appeal to a contemporary audience so sped things up a bit.

Slapping every cut scene back in makes for a slow movie. Like the Alien 3 Special Edition, minus the repetition.

BlueMarsalis79

Sometimes it makes for a better one though.

Elmazalman

Would like to see that 2003 extended cut of ALIEN turn up for the 50th anniversary, if not the 45th.

oduodu

oduodu

can someone not just make a fan cut with the same scenes as the one Cdl made before Scott altered it?

is there a cut of alien where the deleted scenes(not polished or altered) were just inserted either fan made or otherwise?

SM

Never watched one but people have touted a few over the years.

SiL

Quote from: oduodu on Feb 02, 2024, 05:46:22 AMcan someone not just make a fan cut with the same scenes as the one Cdl made before Scott altered it?

is there a cut of alien where the deleted scenes(not polished or altered) were just inserted either fan made or otherwise?
Several!

Elmazalman

Quote from: oduodu on Feb 02, 2024, 05:46:22 AMcan someone not just make a fan cut with the same scenes as the one Cdl made before Scott altered it?

There's a few out there.

I put together an extended cut, using as much of the deleted material as was possible. My edit runs at about 2hrs and 19 mins. Turned out okay - very viewable - but nothing beats an official product released (with previously-unreleased material added).

SM

I think I saw part of one that had the long grainy tracking shot of the refinery. Test footage I think.

We have editors for a reason.

oduodu

ah thanks

is there a known cut like that which is downloadable?  a fan cut perhaps?

SiL

Quote from: SM on Feb 02, 2024, 08:48:40 AMI think I saw part of one that had the long grainy tracking shot of the refinery. Test footage I think.

We have editors for a reason.

As one of them, I like watching the virtual workprint. It's not a better movie, but it is fascinating and engaging.

SM

Some bits are. Seeing how they fit together- or don't. Long slow VFX shots are boring.  Might as well be watching Star Trek - The Motion Picture.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed