Best / Worst character in Alien - Predator - AVP

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Jun 18, 2020, 05:30:46 AM

Author
Best / Worst character in Alien - Predator - AVP (Read 3,881 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

For me:

Alien

Best: Ripley / Jonathan Clemens / David

Worst: Fifield

Predator

Best: Dutch

Worst: Coyle

AVP

Best: Charles Bishop Weyland

Worst:
Spoiler
Everyone at AVP Requiem  >:(
[close]

The Cruentus

I initially thought this was individually by films rather than franchise wide.

Alien
Best
Ripley
Worst
One of idiot scientists in the prequels, unfortunately there is more that one to choose from.

Predator
Best
Dutch
Worst
A few to choose from but I am going to say Upgrade. I hate the concept.

AVP.
best.
Surprisingly I could pick maybe three or more characters that I found interesting or had potential. But I am going to go for Charles Weyland.
Worst.
How to choose.  :laugh:

Iseijin

ALIEN
Best: Ripley
Worst: David 8

PREDATOR
Best: Predator
Worst: The Predator/Augmented Predator (throw the whole damn movie in there)

AvP
Best: Wolf, with Scar a close second for that spin-stab move on the Alien Queen's face
Worst: The rest of AvP:R

JokersWarPig

Alien
Best - Gonna be a tie between Hudson/Vaz/Parker as they have some of the best actual character. As much as I like Ripley everyone seems to be picking her.
Worst - Milburn/Oram.

Predator
Best - Tie between Dutch and Harrigan, but as a second I'm gonna say Traeger from The Predator because he made a pretty good antagonist imo.
Worst - Assasin/Upgrade

AvP
Best - Celtic
Worst - any/all of the human characters really.

Huggs

Worst?

Alien: None
Aliens: Gorman, Burke, Newt
Alien 3: None
AR: Everybody but Brad and Ron Perlman
Prometheus: Fifield, Millburn, and Charlie
Covenant: Everybody
AVP: Everybody
AVPR: Everybody but Eddie
Predator: Hawkins
Predator 2: Jerry
Predators: Topher Grace
The Predator: Everybody except Thomas Jane

StrangeShape

My least liked character has by far been David. Ever since I saw him in Prometheus, I couldn't wait for him just to go back to being a side character, which as we know, never happened. I just found his character an annoying imitation of C3PO in Prometheus and I dont understand the need for his over the top...flamboyancy. Some things just dont jive for people, and David was always an annoyance and a caricature for me. You can only imagine my disapointment when he was made the center of the alien mythos, not only as their creator but single handedly eradicating a superior race of life creators...

I may not care for some or many characters in the "lesser"movies like AVPR or Resurrection etc, but David I just wanted off the screen. For some reason he reminds me of Monty Python characters

Voodoo Magic

The Cruentus

To go by individual film,

Alien
Best - Ripley
Worst- I think Brett would fill this role, I don't dislike him at all,  all the characters are memorable and I like them all but in terms of importance, dialogue etc Brett I think might be the least developed. I supposed I could Jonesy as his existence kills Brett and nearly gets Ripley killed too  :laugh:

Aliens.
Best- It is really is hard for me to choose here because Ripley really shines in this movie but the Marines are so memorable as well. Husdon, Hicks and Vasquez. Hell even Bishop.
Worst -  I can't really think of one unless I including character behavior that I personally find questionable.  Anne Jordon  maybe...for not helping her husband. While in the film we don't know exactly how Russ is attacked or how Anne reacted but the novels seems to show that she didn't do much to help him. she doesn't try and help him pull the facehugger off even if is likely futile and she leaves him out in a stormy weather for hours, she covers him up but still. Mind you if I was going to go by novels, I would say the scientists/medical personnel. They did absolutely nothing to help the infected colonists and their logic and excuse for doing so was poor.

Alien 3.
Best - Ripley/Clemens/Dillion. Interesting arc for Ripley, Clemens was sympathetic and Dillion was just brilliant, he goes up against an Alien just to buy Ripley some time. He lasted longer than Parker.
Worst- There is a few background characters that don't really add much.

Alien Resurrection.
Best- Ripley 8/Johner/Elgyn.
Wost-  Wren, some scientists and leaders. They spent years trying to get Aliens and seem to know enough about them to know they require hosts, yet they don't bother building acid proof cells and keeping them seperate. Not to mention that the organization here is just seriously immoral. Kidnapping innocent humans instead of simply using animals or at worst death row inmates.

Prometheus.
Best - Shaw/David
Worst- you know them, those bad bad scientists.  :laugh:

Alien Covenent.
Best-Walter. I find him quite interesting and similar to bishop.
Worst - David, he has just gone too over the top in villiany, there is no nuance with him anymore, and meta wise he might be responsible for the poor choices the franchise has taken such as more focus on AI intead of the Alien.

Predator.
Best- Dutch/Billy/Mac but really all of them shine.
Worst - Honestly I can't think of one at the moment, the characters are memorable and larger than life.

Predator 2
Best-Jerry/Harrigan
Worst- Tony Pope. I hate paparazzis  :laugh: Obviously he is meant to be hated so not sure if that counts.In seriousness I would say Danny, as he pretty much got himself killed.

Predators
Best-Stans/isabelle/Nikolai/Hanzo Stans is funny, Isabelle is badass, Nikolai is heroic and Hanzo had a memorable scene.
Worst- Cuchillo. I like Dany Trejo but his character is just not given much to do.

The Predator.
Best-Baxley
Worst-Upgrade/predator dogs.

AVP.
Best-Charles Weyland but I think Max, Rousseau and even Lex was interesting and could have had more to do.
Worst- the cannon fodders, too many characters that are just there to die. If I had to name a major character though it would be Miller, as he almost immediately fails to follow the rules that Lex gives out, he even wastes ammo on a dead hugger.

AVP-2
Best-Wolf but only because of his design, he was utterly incompetent.
Worst-Predalien, the aliens and most of everyone.

Evanus

Surprised to see David as worst so much. I think he's probably the best character since Ripley. I complained a bit about his character having lost some nuance in Covenant when it released, but not anymore. His character is very much in line with what we saw in Prometheus, just further developed and cranked up a notch. Fassbender just kills it.

Wysps

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Jun 18, 2020, 09:39:26 PM
Predator
Best - Tie between Dutch and Harrigan, but as a second I'm gonna say Traeger from The Predator because he made a pretty good antagonist imo.
Worst - Assasin/Upgrade

I'm going with this line-up for the Predator series.  Traeger is a solid second choice, though for me I'd also throw in the Isabel/Royce duo.

For AvP, best would be Lex I guess and worst would be the entire cast of AvP:R  :laugh:

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Evanus on Jun 19, 2020, 11:41:21 PM
Surprised to see David as worst so much. I think he's probably the best character since Ripley. I complained a bit about his character having lost some nuance in Covenant when it released, but not anymore. His character is very much in line with what we saw in Prometheus, just further developed and cranked up a notch. Fassbender just kills it.

Yep

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jun 19, 2020, 02:18:13 PM
AVP.
Best-Charles Weyland but I think Max, Rousseau and even Lex was interesting and could have had more to do.
Worst- the cannon fodders, too many characters that are just there to die. If I had to name a major character though it would be Miller, as he almost immediately fails to follow the rules that Lex gives out, he even wastes ammo on a dead hugger.

Oh, c'mon. Dude just woke up being glued to the wall with huge f**king spider-like creature trying to face-rape him and I doubt anyone would think first about saving bullets in such situation

The Cruentus

Those with some common sense would  :P
In an earlier of version of the film, Miller escapes only to get captured again.  :laugh:

SiL

Not really. He was supposed to get captured after finding Weyland, but it was changed to the tunnel. The shooting script mentions both even though Anderson said the tunnel grab was done purely in post production.

And common sense goes out the f**king window when you encounter alien species and get glued to a wall.

Elmazalman

Best - as in most interesting: Ash.

Worst: anybody from A:R and A: Covenant (except David & Walter).

The Cruentus

Quote from: SiL on Jun 20, 2020, 11:11:16 AM
Not really. He was supposed to get captured after finding Weyland, but it was changed to the tunnel. The shooting script mentions both even though Anderson said the tunnel grab was done purely in post production.

And common sense goes out the f**king window when you encounter alien species and get glued to a wall.

I could have sworn there was something about him escaping the first time. Must be misremembering.

Fair point there, I guess we don't know how we would react for sure in that situation, I would like to think that I would conserve the ammo if that was me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed