Alien/Predator novels ranking

Started by jacobo1122, Nov 06, 2023, 10:27:13 AM

Author
Alien/Predator novels ranking (Read 6,318 times)

Local Trouble

Quote from: jacobo1122 on Nov 10, 2023, 08:16:32 PMbeginning with abysmal Colony War

>:(

Wweyland

Wweyland

Underrated Predators books:
Predator: Flesh and Blood
The Predator: Hunters And Hunted

jacobo1122

jacobo1122

Quote from: Wweyland on Nov 11, 2023, 10:55:25 AMUnderrated Predators books:

I don't know about Flesh and Blood yet, but Hunters and Hunter was really fun, if a bit standard.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Nov 11, 2023, 02:11:54 AMBerserker and MotS are among the best novels.

Rage War was still great fun considering some of the issues it had with continuity.

It's been a few years since I read them, but I remember them being 5/5s for me and the best Bantam had to offer.

Quote from: Wweyland on Nov 11, 2023, 10:55:25 AMUnderrated Predators books:

Agreed there! Flesh and Blood wasn't quite as good as both Turnabout and South China Sea, but it was still really great. Hunters and Hunted was another really solid one as well. Far far far far better than the film.

happypred

happypred

Top 3

Predator South China Sea
This is well written sci-fi period

AvP Prey
Gave us the the Yautja concept and an honourable veteran in the Dachande character...but also a bunch of d-bag Yautja youngsters who went about massacring weak humans, so only gave us Space Samurai insofar as many real life Samurai and Knights were nowhere near as honourable as the romanticised version of them

AvP Hunters Planet
I really didnt mind the cyborg xenomorphs and it was fun when I read and reread it

davewesker

davewesker

As much as i love reading other people rankings it makes me think i have bad taste or something as Music of the Spears is always given a high ranking and i honestly absolutely hate it. Find it so so boring.

jacobo1122

jacobo1122

Quote from: davewesker on Nov 21, 2023, 06:15:11 PMAs much as i love reading other people rankings it makes me think i have bad taste or something as Music of the Spears is always given a high ranking and i honestly absolutely hate it. Find it so so boring.

Well, everyone has their own taste. I can see why Music of The Spears may seem boring or ridiculous to someone. It is one of weirder stories. I like it for exactly this originality, but can totally see why You may hate it. I for example don't like Earth Hive and Out of The Shadows very much, and I saw many people loving those. With Earth Hive its more complicated, I don't like a novel as an adaptation, but like the general story and original comic. But Out of The Shadows I just hate, mainly because of whole Ripley stuff, it just drags this book down so much. Only few ideas and general Lebbon's writing style save it a little.

davewesker

davewesker

Quote from: jacobo1122 on Nov 21, 2023, 08:38:37 PM
Quote from: davewesker on Nov 21, 2023, 06:15:11 PMAs much as i love reading other people rankings it makes me think i have bad taste or something as Music of the Spears is always given a high ranking and i honestly absolutely hate it. Find it so so boring.

Well, everyone has their own taste. I can see why Music of The Spears may seem boring or ridiculous to someone. It is one of weirder stories. I like it for exactly this originality, but can totally see why You may hate it. I for example don't like Earth Hive and Out of The Shadows very much, and I saw many people loving those. With Earth Hive its more complicated, I don't like a novel as an adaptation, but like the general story and original comic. But Out of The Shadows I just hate, mainly because of whole Ripley stuff, it just drags this book down so much. Only few ideas and general Lebbon's writing style save it a little.

Oh I completely understand why you dont like Earth Hive. I myself love it but Inread it before I read the comic and I thinknyou have valid points. The weird thing is I like the sound ofnit when reading the Xenopedia plot summary but hate the actual execution.
Harvest is another one i really cant stand book or comic version

happypred

happypred

Most of these rankings boil down to books the poster personally enjoyed more than others, not which books are superior literature from the pov of a serious literary critic, which I and most ppl here are not

SM

SM

MotS is great because it somehow manages to be engaging in a text format with a story that is centred on sound.

jacobo1122

jacobo1122

Quote from: happypred on Nov 22, 2023, 02:21:01 AM

Most of these rankings boil down to books the poster personally enjoyed more than others, not which books are superior literature from the pov of a serious literary critic, which I and most ppl here are not

Well, even Profesional critic's views on certain books don't mean that they are objectivly good or bad. Critics are also just humans with their own tastes after all. All it is about is exchanging views and having nice discussions.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: happypred on Nov 20, 2023, 12:22:11 PMGave us the the Yautja concept

That's my problem with it, personally. I prefer a more mysterious and unknowable bunch of space sadists to anything that codified.

jacobo1122

jacobo1122

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 22, 2023, 12:07:01 PM
Quote from: happypred on Nov 20, 2023, 12:22:11 PMGave us the the Yautja concept

That's my problem with it, personally. I prefer a more mysterious and unknowable bunch of space sadists to anything that codified.

The problem with Yautja was that at some point it was held by most of people as a guideline for whole race. And I think that Predators are interesting because of their individualism. Movies showed us that all Predators are different, both physically and psychologically. So if there is one, or one Tribe, that act like space samurais, that's okay. Worse if every Predators acts the same. I prefer Them as ruthless bastards with some not entirely clear hunting code, but it is good to have different ones once in a while. So I don't get people complaining about "stupidity" or different design of Predator from Prey for example. I mean sure, You can prefer different potrayal, but that what's makes him distinct and keeps things fresh.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 22, 2023, 12:07:01 PMThat's my problem with it, personally. I prefer a more mysterious and unknowable bunch of space sadists to anything that codified.

That's a perfectly reasonable preference, although I'd argue that the Yautja youngsters, or at least some of them, were a bunch of inhuman space sadists getting their kicks from slaughtering the Ryushi settlers and killing xenomorphs alike.

Still Collating...

I like my Preds as space sadists and sportsmen, as others have said, all of them should have a unique personality IMO.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed