Prometheus: Alien Universe or Mass Effect Universe

Started by Omega1, Apr 14, 2012, 09:04:40 AM

Author
Prometheus: Alien Universe or Mass Effect Universe (Read 27,136 times)

OpenMaw

Quote from: LarsVader on Apr 17, 2012, 02:43:10 AM
I agree, but all this doesn't explain the chromatic aberration in the image.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration

Compositing multiple elements would be my guess.

Spaghetti

EGM1966

Quote from: Omega1 on Apr 16, 2012, 01:18:45 PM
Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 16, 2012, 12:23:03 PM
I just thought I'd quote this again...looking at the comparison picture specifically of the ME ship and the Prometheus. Aside from similar noses and paint.....those ships have NOTHING in common whatsoever.

Except that they both have a long sleek hull, two engines at each side of the main hull, pointy nose, and to top it off two slit vents at the top rear end of the hull...  :o
They're really quite different.  In fact the Mass Effect ship is quite a poor design.  It's the classic bad design of being a plane in space.  The engines are fxed by a wing to the hull and the hull is really a very different shape - sleek and smooth vs the much more Nostromo like hull of Prometheus which is bristling with projections.  The Prometheus has four totally different looking engines which can clearly pivot around to different directions (such as for landing in the trailers).

Seriously - if you look at the detail the two ships have nothing in common appart from being silver/grey with some yellow/black trim and numerically the same number of engines although clearly the design of the engines is totally different.

As I noted earlier in this post if you look beyond gross form the designs are quite different.  The Prometheus designs are (as is often the case) much more functional.  The buggy from Mass Effect for example - how do you get in that?  It looks like it was designed to be sleek and have a gun on top with little concern for how people would actually get in and drive it vs the vehicle from Prometheus (which obviously has to allow actors to do so).

Face Jockey

Much more like Space: 1999 Universe than Mass Effect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvo5o3Goh9E#

Deuterium

Quote from: EGM1966 on Apr 17, 2012, 09:52:18 AM
They're really quite different.  In fact the Mass Effect ship is quite a poor design.  It's the classic bad design of being a plane in space.  The engines are fxed by a wing to the hull and the hull is really a very different shape - sleek and smooth vs the much more Nostromo like hull of Prometheus which is bristling with projections.  The Prometheus has four totally different looking engines which can clearly pivot around to different directions (such as for landing in the trailers).

Not necessarily.  If the Mass Effect ship is meant to be able to operate efficiently within a planet's atmosphere, then aerodynamic shaping and lift would be a design requirement.  I haven't played the Mass Effect series, so I don't know if this is true, but just making the observation.  Conversely, the Prometheus is first an interstellar ship, with the additional capability of performing a powered entry and landing on a planetary surface.

RubberChickenMan

Cerberus from mass effect

mastermoon

josh_axey

Wait... this thread is still going?

I'm not Commander Shepard and this is not my favourite thread on the forum.

SM

You rang?

EGM1966

Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 17, 2012, 02:36:06 PM
Quote from: EGM1966 on Apr 17, 2012, 09:52:18 AM

Not necessarily.  If the Mass Effect ship is meant to be able to operate efficiently within a planet's atmosphere, then aerodynamic shaping and lift would be a design requirement.  I haven't played the Mass Effect series, so I don't know if this is true, but just making the observation.  Conversely, the Prometheus is first an interstellar ship, with the additional capability of performing a powered entry and landing on a planetary surface.

What I mean is the ship design in Mass Effect is all about operating in an atmosphere.  Checking it out on YouTube it does fly in atmosphere but it also 'flies' in space - i.e. with four fixed engines it mysteriously banks as though still flying through an atmosphere rather than remotely operating like a spaceship.

The Mass Effect designs are clearly all about the look with little practicality at all.  I mean I like 'em - but there is no way the Prometheus ship is really (as put forward in the OT) actually much like the Mass Effect ship at all and neither are the vehicles really - beyond gross shape.

OWLF

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  ...Sorry,I couldnĀ“t resist

mastermoon

I think it's non sense comparing Alien with Mass Effect.

Thats like comparing Star Wars with the 1982 movie The Thing.

Predaker

Quote from: REDDEVIL on May 15, 2012, 01:05:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/5MwVy.jpg

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  ...Sorry,I couldnĀ“t resist
I would play that.

mastermoon

I never understood why people would compare Alien with Mass Effect?.

The series are nothing alike.

x-M-x

Quote from: mastermoon on May 17, 2012, 02:22:26 AM
I never understood why people would compare Alien with Mass Effect?.

The series are nothing alike.

Plus the 'ALIEN' franchise is older... FAR OLDER so how the hell can they compare? 0.o

kids...

in fact it's mass effect who ripped/stole idea's/themes etc from the alien franchise ? lol...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed