Cosmic horror in the Alien franchise

Started by Thatguy2068, Nov 16, 2023, 05:37:56 AM

Author
Cosmic horror in the Alien franchise (Read 6,809 times)

Thatguy2068

Ever since alien 1979 there always been a hint of cosmic horror within this franchise. But over the years more stuff has been added like as recently as Dark Decent with the Cults
Spoiler
and the Space Joskey City
[close]
I find the ideas of cosmic horror work best with the xenomorph, it like Pennut butter and jelly sandwich.

Immortan Jonesy

Kudos to Dan O'Bannon and Giger for that. 8)

Thatguy2068

Thatguy2068

Is there anymore cosmic horror idea in other alien media Beside Alien 1979 and Dark Decent

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Nov 16, 2023, 07:43:33 AMKudos to Dan O'Bannon and Giger for that. 8)

Agree, if it weren't for them alien would have never been as iconic as it is now it tragic that they passed away. May they both rest in peace

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Thatguy2068 on Nov 16, 2023, 10:01:04 AMIs there anymore cosmic horror idea in other alien media Beside Alien 1979 and Dark Decent

ALIENS Apocalypse: The Destroying Angels.

Thatguy2068

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 16, 2023, 10:13:35 AM
Quote from: Thatguy2068 on Nov 16, 2023, 10:01:04 AMIs there anymore cosmic horror idea in other alien media Beside Alien 1979 and Dark Decent

I heard her a little bit about this comic book with the Space Jockeys, and I gotta say I'm pretty intrigued the only thing that I don't like is the Space elephant is fleshy instead of being biomechanical. Other than that I'm fine with it.

Also is that the only one that focuses on cosmic horror within the franchises or is there more? I'm sorry if I sound like a dick I'm just curious.

Cosmic Incubation

Like em or hate em, Prometheus and Covenant both have some pretty strong Cosmic Horror themes and ideas. The former a little more so than the latter.

Many people have pointed out the similarities between Prometheus and Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness.

Nightmare Asylum

Yep, the prequels are definitely closer to those roots than the other films post-Alien, though Covenant does end up steering things in more of a Gothic direction for sure, rather than straight cosmic.

Given some of Fede Álvarez's own sensibilities, I do wonder if next year might see a bit more of a steering in that direction again.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Nov 16, 2023, 03:45:40 PMLike em or hate em, Prometheus and Covenant both have some pretty strong Cosmic Horror themes and ideas. The former a little more so than the latter.

This noble gentleman couldn't agree more.

Spoiler
[close]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Thatguy2068 on Nov 16, 2023, 03:23:03 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 16, 2023, 10:13:35 AM

I heard her a little bit about this comic book with the Space Jockeys, and I gotta say I'm pretty intrigued the only thing that I don't like is the Space elephant is fleshy instead of being biomechanical. Other than that I'm fine with it.

Also is that the only one that focuses on cosmic horror within the franchises or is there more? I'm sorry if I sound like a dick I'm just curious.

It's exactly what you want so you should just read it.

There are a few other comics that arguably fit the bill but I'd have to go digging through my omnibus books to name them.

SM

SM

The Elder Gods comic is a pretty obvious one both in title and how it's written. Never quite steps all the way into parody but comes close.

Destroying Angels is also good if you like Heart of Darkness/ Apocalypse Now.

DarthJoker45

I think that it one thing that always bugged me about Aliens and onwards until Prometheus was released. You had strong hints of the Alien being part of something far greater in scope with the first film, and while I love Aliens and to a lesser extent enjoy the Alien 3 Assembly Cut, none of the original follow ups ever exploring the Space Jockeys and other cosmic horror concepts really was quite the disappointment. I think that  is why I enjoyed Prometheus for the most part as it wanted to ask those questions while establishing some sense of cosmic hierarchy, and while Covenant certainly had its fair share of issues mainly in the 3rd act as weak retreading of the original Alien, seeing the black mutagen effect the environment and the introduction of the Neomorph hinted at new kinds of horrors than just the typical hive.

ralfy

ralfy

If the term refers to what Lovecraft had in mind (that the universe is neutral and meaningless), then it's implied in part only at the end of the third movie (which was negated by the production of the fourth) and the prequels, which refer to cosmological origins, etc.

SM

SM

Not sure what in particular stands out about the end of the third film.

SiL

SiL

Ralfy hasn't seen the films.

oduodu

Quote from: DarthJoker45 on Nov 17, 2023, 01:44:53 AMI think that it one thing that always bugged me about Aliens and onwards until Prometheus was released. You had strong hints of the Alien being part of something far greater in scope with the first film, and while I love Aliens and to a lesser extent enjoy the Alien 3 Assembly Cut, none of the original follow ups ever exploring the Space Jockeys and other cosmic horror concepts really was quite the disappointment. I think that  is why I enjoyed Prometheus for the most part as it wanted to ask those questions while establishing some sense of cosmic hierarchy, and while Covenant certainly had its fair share of issues mainly in the 3rd act as weak retreading of the original Alien, seeing the black mutagen effect the environment and the introduction of the Neomorph hinted at new kinds of horrors than just the typical hive.

well said

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed