The Fitness Thread

Started by DoomRulz, Feb 27, 2014, 07:26:32 PM

Author
The Fitness Thread (Read 26,507 times)

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

I have a poor diet. Trying to cut out the donuts and soda but to no avail and I eat way too many calories. Especially fat calories. Still I feel f**king fantastic. I lift weights and try to run at least several miles every few days. My health seems to be rather good. Especially since I cut out the diet soda and artificial sugar drinks. Which I'm now certain are poison if you drink more than one a day. :P

Yea... replaced it with regular soda and real sugar drinks. Still, fatty liver, gone; blood pressure, way down; lost a lot of weight to boot. :)

People should fire the artificial sugars first in my opinion. Especially the plant based ones such as splenda and stevia. Hard to believe that sucralose and aspartame are actually better but it seems to be true. Basic fact, we're omnivores, not vegetarians. :P

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I don't believe aspartame and sucralose are better. What sources do you have on that?

Xeno Killer 2179

Xeno Killer 2179

After several months of just drinking water and the occasional glass of almond milk, I decided to buy some premium locally made cream soda made with pure cane sugar. It tasted like vanilla cotton candy, I think due to being made with cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. Unlike most people I don't seem to experience sugar or caffeine highs, but I noticed that by drinking just one soda, I felt incredibly lethargic and began craving sugar again, for about a day. Guess even one is too much for me.

BUT the biggest health difference from my changing my diet has come from discovering I'm sensitive to both dairy and gluten.

I thought this whole gluten thing was just a fad like the grapefruit diet or not eating egg yolks, but I definitely feel better not eating it. I've known for years before discovering this that certain foods cause me discomfort, such as a strong sense of inflammation throughout my body. It feels a bit like having salt coursing through your veins. This happens most strongly with pizza. I assumed that this burning sensation was due to high sodium content at first, but later on I began thinking it was because of an imbalance of omega 6 to omega 3 (which also promotes inflammation). It's not just pizza though. Eventually I noticed that pasta, mostly the noodles, also trigger the inflammation with the added benefit of causing constipation and bloating for several days. The most telling of all, though, is a simple tuna fish sandwich. It was the bread. Simply having tuna and mayonnaise mixed together with nothing else was fine, but put it between two slices of whole wheat and there it was, the inflammation again. I ruled out the omega 3 thing by stopping the supplements to see if anything has changed (it didn't), and I tested my old sodium theory by eating a ton of pickles (I have a jar of small pickles, each containing 260mg of sodium), and again, nothing happened.

I would have NEVER discovered this going to a doctor. Between me, my mother, and my grandmother, we share a boatload of the symptoms of celiac disease. Apparently it's possible to have the condition without any symptoms, and a lot of people are diagnosed because a close relative was. I also read going gluten free can produce a negative screening for the disease, and having gluten just once or twice a month is enough to prevent healing the damage the condition has caused, so I'm going to see if I can get one or all of us screened for it.

I've had unexplained insomnia all my life, I had a period of weight loss and diarrhea in school, my gums have been swollen all my life despite excellent oral hygiene (was told it might be because I could be breathing through my mouth when sleeping, which I don't think is causing this), my eyes get insanely dry, and my mother and Gmother both have autoimmune disorders (which is more common in celiacs). Hormones can go out of whack and mental issues can surface due to celiac disease, in addition to hundreds of other symptoms, some minor and many not specific to this disease. Since stopping gluten I have far less anxiety and mood fluctuations, I sleep a little bit better (no computer use made the biggest difference in feeling sleepy), my tinnitus and popping ears improved dramatically (mother and grandmother both get ringing/poppy ears), and I have a new sense of clarity and confidence.

In addition, by eliminating dairy, my skin complexion on my back and shoulders has improved dramatically. Gluten can cause skin rashes but this was just plain old acne. This is another thing doctors don't know about because it doesn't work like this for everyone.

_____
This is partly a rant now, but....

Sleep apnea runs on the other side of the family (my grandfather was diagnosed with it despite not being overweight at all and very physically active) so I wanted to be screened for it a couple months back.

Turns out I couldn't simply request a sleep study; I had to get a referral, and when I tried to, my doctor went off into some tangent about me having an untreated mood disorder, called me mentally ill, then tried to prescribe me an anti psychotic to help me sleep (first off atypical antipsychotics have horrific side effects and in my opinion are inappropriate for mild insomnia due to the adverse effects on overall health, and second, I was told never to take atypical antipsychotics again by a psychiatrist because I had severe reactions to every one I tried in that class of drugs, and third, my GP didn't know this and I think he overstepped his bounds trying to prescribe psych medicine, especially because when when I turned him down, he set up an appointment with someone in mental health that specializes in prescribing the very same medication he just tried to prescribe me, which makes me wonder if the guy is an ego maniac or narcissist).

I managed to get the referral despite him not thinking I could have sleep apnea at all. One of the ways he tried to convince me not to have the sleep study done was, even if I did have it, he said he didn't think that I would wear a cpap machine and that it would be a waste, and so I think his argument was that the mere possibility of me not treating my sleep apnea was reason enough to not even give myself the chance to find out if I have it or not. The psychiatrist I saw as a result of the appointment he setup laughed at my doctor for trying to dissuade me from being tested and said it was actually a good idea because a lot of people have it and don't know it.

When I went in to get the machine for a home sleep study (the full study involves going to a motel and having electrodes hooked up to you and strangers observing your every movement via camera while in bed, whether awake or asleep), the group instructor said to us that obesity is only one factor in sleep apnea, and that the worst patient she ever had was a 102 pound Asian woman, and that a narrow airway can be genetic.

I got my results yesterday after waiting for six weeks to hear them (no idea why it takes so long). They said I stopped breathing several times while I was asleep, but not enough to be considered sleep apnea. They recommended more thorough testing though because this is still significant. I lost 20 pounds from when I wanted to be tested to when I actually ended up being tested, so I may have improved my breathing at night enough to go under their threshold.

Cliffs:

-One sugary beverage a day is too much for me
-I discovered gluten was affecting my health, gluten sensitivity at the least, celiac disease at worse.
-Not eating gluten improved a number of small and big things.
-Going to try to get family screened for it, a lot of health problems that could suggest it.
-Eliminating dairy improved my skin complexion.
-My GP is an ass and listening to him (in the sense that older generations blindly follow whatever their doctor tells them) instead of being actively involved in discovering what works for me have two completely different life outcomes.

Use the damn internet and don't place all your faith in one human being. There's a reason we say they're practicing medicine.

In my case, by being in the mental health system, the assumption was understandably from the start that it was all mental, all in my head, and the very light screening that medical doctors do is far from adequate in catching everything that can present as psychological issues (vitamin, thyroid check, and urine test to see if you're lying about using drugs is all they typically do).

Aspie

Aspie

What's gluten

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Aspie on May 08, 2014, 08:59:01 PM
What's gluten
It's essentially just wheat but it is a processed protein.

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 08, 2014, 01:53:00 PM
I don't believe aspartame and sucralose are better. What sources do you have on that?
There hasn't been much research done since they are so new and studies take decades to complete. However just look at the digestive track of fauna that process such sugars in nature. A human beings digestive system was never designed to process such misleading and gigantic molecules. Misleading by the fact that the human body can't tell the difference between real and artificial sugar, which causes it to process both in the same method. Which then leads to insulin insensitivity and massive water retention. Plus when I say better I really mean less worse. Its comparable to being an alcoholic. When I used to drink diet sodas I essentially had the same liver as a person that was a chronic alcoholic. When I stopped the problem went away. That's proof enough for me. :P

And I have to agree with Xeno Killer 2179 on almond milk and cane sugar. I cannot explain it but both are better. :P Pure cane sugar for one doesn't cause my teeth to tingle nor does it spike my blood sugar as high fructose corns syrup does. Plus I think most alternative milks, aside from soy milk is better than dairy. The whole it does a body good is a f**king dairy industry marketeer scheme.

I think the problem is not so much gluten but the fact that wheat gluten no longer has any nutrition due to the choice of quantity over quality in manufacturing. It basically just gets in the way of your bodies natural functions which causes insensitivity. In the same way that cellulose does. They claim it doesn't do anything but I mean come on, just take a bagel and kneed it in water, that's what's floating around inside of you when you eat the damn thing. Wood Pulp. :P

He's also right that you have to do your own research as most doctors frankly are not that smart. To be fair, health is just so damn complicated. Organic is "technically" better due to it's simple nature however it is in no way sustainable. However the best thing to do is to remember that most everything we grow up knowing about foods is either corporate bullshit or junk science. That goes for both processed and organic foods.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Physical activity will eliminate 90% of your health problems. 

BANE

BANE

Quote from: Kimarhi on May 09, 2014, 12:50:59 AM
Yep.

Everybody is a lazy idiot nowadays.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: BANE on May 09, 2014, 12:51:32 AM
Yep.

Everybody is a lazy idiot nowadays.
This is true. Still eliminating certain things will help you fix that laziness.

What I mean is that if you eat crap then, well... your going to feel crappy and that makes the thought of physical activity unpleasant.

Xeno Killer 2179

Xeno Killer 2179

I honestly don't know what gluten is beyond that it's a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye. Something to do with holding breads/dough together and the texture they have.

One issue is that gluten is often a part of foods that are already unhealthy, so quitting gluten means only eating better for a lot of people (who then claim it was the lack of gluten and not the lack of eating an entire pizza).

_______
Got my detailed sleep study results in mail:

Turns out I only snored a total of 36 seconds over 6 hours, but I had 18 breathing events, most of which I stopped breathing completely for 15 to 23 seconds. My AHI was half of what it needs to be to be considered mild sleep apnea, but they want me to come in because false negatives happen a lot with home studies.

But this is true for what percent of people? :P

If anything I think exercise just makes your body less susceptible to anything going wrong.

Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin

I'm 6'2", twenty years old, and I used to be 270 pounds.

I am now 220 pounds.

Portion control and exercise are what did it for me. I now engage in a regimen where I run two and a half miles Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and engage in muscle training Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. I rest on Sundays. I've kept my weight around 220-225 for about a year, now.

But goddamn, is it difficult to resist Chic-Fil-A sandwiches...  :P

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Xeno Killer 2179 on May 09, 2014, 01:30:08 AM
But this is true for what percent of people? :P

If anything I think exercise just makes your body less susceptible to anything going wrong.

That's a good thing. Anything to improve your longevity. Thing is, when people think of exercise, they think it's something complicated when it isn't. Staying active is very easy. All you need to do are little things for walks or making better dietary choices. It doesn't mean going to a gym and lifting the heaviest weight or running the quickest mile.

BANE

BANE

Haha we're the only species to ever have these problems.

Because we're actually stupid.  :laugh:

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

When it comes to certain things, yes. It's one of our faults.

In other news, speaking of fitness, I worked out my lower back for the first time in who knows how long, yesterday. Normally I can deadlift 225 lbs. pretty easily but it was a struggle this time. I'm feeling it today :(

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Dovahkiin on May 09, 2014, 02:15:46 AM
I'm 6'2", twenty years old, and I used to be 270 pounds.

I am now 220 pounds.

Portion control and exercise are what did it for me. I now engage in a regimen where I run two and a half miles Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and engage in muscle training Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. I rest on Sundays. I've kept my weight around 220-225 for about a year, now.

But goddamn, is it difficult to resist Chic-Fil-A sandwiches...  :P

Pretty similar to what I do.  Longer runs just because of Army stuff.  Just got back into weightlifting though, trying to get my strength levels back up.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed