AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 685,336 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

What?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Reading the first pages of this poll is somewhat... unsettling... apart from the obvious ratings and stuff, there's a lot of data that was, quite literally, threw up like nothing. I read something like 100% cgi Aliens in AvP ( ??? ), that the Requiem Aliens totally resemble the Cameron Aliens ( :o ), and some other crazy stuff.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Not everyone delves deep into a film's set-up, you know :P

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Nov 16, 2010, 02:19:10 PM
Reading the first pages of this poll is somewhat... unsettling... apart from the obvious ratings and stuff, there's a lot of data that was, quite literally, threw up like nothing. I read something like 100% cgi Aliens in AvP ( ??? ), that the Requiem Aliens totally resemble the Cameron Aliens ( :o ), and some other crazy stuff.
lol.

Vecrotus

Vecrotus

Simply put, AVP captured the Alien characters better, and AVPR captured the Predator character better. But, they still weren't individually 100% perfect.

DragonBossk

DragonBossk

Quote from: Vecrotus on Nov 16, 2010, 10:38:10 PM
Simply put, AVP captured the Alien characters better, and AVPR captured the Predator character better. But, they still weren't individually 100% perfect.

I agree with you, but that last sentence is one big understatement. Personally I feel AVP is slightly superior in terms of camera use, lighting and characters (most were wasted by at least we had Lance) but being the first crossover film and trying to be more like an A movie means it has a lot more to answer for. The nonsensical plot and lack of consistency for instance...

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Simply put, AVP captured the Alien characters better, and AVPR captured the Predator character better.
AvP got both better, bar maybe the team up, if you ask me.

Quote from: DragonBossk on Nov 17, 2010, 11:16:12 AM
Personally I feel AVP is slightly superior in terms of camera use, lighting and characters (most were wasted by at least we had Lance)
Slightly?

The nonsensical plot and lack of consistency for instance...
Why the plot was nonsensical bar little plot holes such as the mayan blablas, and why it wasn't consistent.

Valaquen

Valaquen

The Predator in AVPR looked good, but he acted like a moron.

Vecrotus

Vecrotus

I agree with you, but that last sentence is one big understatement. Personally I feel AVP is slightly superior in terms of camera use, lighting and characters (most were wasted by at least we had Lance) but being the first crossover film and trying to be more like an A movie means it has a lot more to answer for. The nonsensical plot and lack of consistency for instance...

I wasn't referriing to the movies I was talking about the creatures themselves in the two films. I meant that neither creature either movies matched the originals. They had some pros, for example the Aliens in AVP put a helluva a lot better fight than the ones in AVPR and looked less like actors in rubber suits, but they didn't act like the Aliens seen in the orignals. The Predator in AVPR was almost perfect both in looks and the way he moved. But his unmasked face was just as bad as the one in AVP and he did do some moronic things.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Nov 17, 2010, 01:52:15 PM
Simply put, AVP captured the Alien characters better, and AVPR captured the Predator character better.
AvP got both better, bar maybe the team up, if you ask me.

Bar the team up and the over-sized Preds. And everything about the Preds in general, like their weaponry and even their purpose in being there at all.

Ghostface

Ghostface

Wolf's gestures and mannerisms were spot on. The fight scenes were crap but that's the BS fault, not the suit actor. The movements he made were the best thing outside of KPH's performances, and that includes Predators.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Yeah, but the AvP Predators were actually competent badasses. Celtic took on an Alien with his bare hands and survived for five minutes. Scar turned the tables on an Alien ambush attempt, shot down something like three or four more and managed to put a decent-sized hole in the Queen's head after being stabbed through the shoulder by an Alien.

In fact, Scar was probably the most competent Predator we've seen since Predator itself, especially keeping in mind that AvP2004 was literally the first time Aliens and Predators met where the Aliens weren't downgraded to be mook adversaries. Think about it this way:

• One Alien took down seven astronauts, including two former soldiers.
  • In Aliens, almost every marine went down before a single Alien casualty could be confirmed, with only three proper soldiers remaining out of the initial squad of 12.
  • One Alien took down almost 30 prisoners, many of them known for brutal murders and ruthlessness.
  • The escape of six Aliens caused a military vessel of 50 men-at-arms to evacuate.

Scar was fighting that kind of Alien. The sort that tears through like a bajillion people and doesn't even really care. And he took down at least four of them, holy shit, I want to be Scar when I grow up. Perhaps the design was a bit off, but all things measured as they should be, no other Predator has ever displayed the level of skill Scar has.

AliceApocalypse

AliceApocalypse

Quote from: MadassAlex on Nov 18, 2010, 01:55:08 PM
Yeah, but the AvP Predators were actually competent badasses. Celtic took on an Alien with his bare hands and survived for five minutes. Scar turned the tables on an Alien ambush attempt, shot down something like three or four more and managed to put a decent-sized hole in the Queen's head after being stabbed through the shoulder by an Alien.

In fact, Scar was probably the most competent Predator we've seen since Predator itself, especially keeping in mind that AvP2004 was literally the first time Aliens and Predators met where the Aliens weren't downgraded to be mook adversaries. Think about it this way:

• In Aliens, almost every marine went down before a single Alien casualty could be confirmed, with only three proper soldiers remaining out of the initial squad of 12.
  • One Alien took down almost 30 prisoners, many of them known for brutal murders and ruthlessness.
  • The escape of six Aliens caused a military vessel of 50 men-at-arms to evacuate.

Scar was fighting that kind of Alien. The sort that tears through like a bajillion people and doesn't even really care. And he took down at least four of them, holy shit, I want to be Scar when I grow up. Perhaps the design was a bit off, but all things measured as they should be, no other Predator has ever displayed the level of skill Scar has.

;D

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

You do make a fine point.

FUZION PREDATOR

FUZION PREDATOR

Quote from: Ghost Rider on Nov 18, 2010, 05:59:51 PM

You do make a fine point.

Why not city hunter too.

He was able to deal with mutliple armed opponents in melee, even against a trained cia crew than knew almost everything about him and his habits (jamed his cloack device + hide their heat signature)
+ he smatly decided to run back to his spaceship while his claock device was cut , in order not to be seen (or filmed) by every LA inhabitants or CNN.
+ according to stephen hopkins coments (in the bonus dvd n°2 hunter and the hunted) the trophy room belongs to pussyface too. That's pretty impressive too.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed