New PREDATOR Movie in the works from 10 Cloverfield Lane Director!

Started by Whos_Nick, Nov 20, 2020, 08:19:51 PM

Author
New PREDATOR Movie in the works from 10 Cloverfield Lane Director! (Read 118,962 times)

irn

Totally did not see this coming. Great news (I hope).

Enjoy

I was surprised and it is a pandemic so any good news is most welcome.
Even if I assumed Disney would do something with it soonish.
I am excited and surprised still this is happening.

XENOMORPHOSIS

Its in its way similar to the trailer for what looked like a romantic comedy titled Being Green, when you got to the mid point of the trailer revealing Kermit the Frog it turned out to be a Muppets movies, or how M. Night Shyamalan's Split turned out to be connected to Unbreakable, or for the promotion of a horror film called the Woods only to discover is a new BLAIR WITCH movie. or when Prometheus came out there was all the Is it OR Isn't it an Alien Prequel, though the reporting of the Alien prequel and how it was supposedly canceled replacing it with original only to learn its still in the Alien universe caused confusion. Disappointing how we'll never see how they had intended. They could still market aspects of this project without displaying the director's name and without giving away spoilers.

Nightmare Asylum

I wouldn't really say that the Prometheus situation is anything comparable to this. Prometheus was initially born as a direct prequel to Alien, and it was announced as such. Then, at some point in pre-production, it started transitioning away from that "direct" prequel aspect, while still remaining within the universe and set prior to Alien, and Fox was very open about that, too.

The confusion there stemmed more from fans making a bigger deal of the term "Alien DNA" than they really needed to. From the marketing end, they were rather explicit about Prometheus' intentions.

Gr33n M4n

They could do what they did with Predators. Abduct the protagonist and have the movie set on a Predator planet.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Phobos on Nov 24, 2020, 01:54:40 AM
They could do what they did with Predators. Abduct the protagonist and have the movie set on a Predator planet.

I thought that was a really neat idea in Predators that did offer a fair amount of potential, but ultimately, they didn't do much at all of note with the concept. The film started off pretty strong but just kind of petered off by the end. The second half of the film (everything post-Noland's death, especially) felt more like a loose string of events without any real driving momentum. Maybe if Robert Rodriguez had directed the film itself, that might have been different...

I wouldn't be opposed to another stab at the game preserve planet concept eventually, but I would also be just as fine to never go back to it as well. Given the premise here, I'd rather just see something simple and (quite literally) down to Earth, in a period setting, that really emphasizes the more brutal, stylistic elements of the first to movies.

I'm going to echo this sentiment for what I think should be leaned into with this next installment:

Quote from: skhellter on Nov 23, 2020, 07:14:16 PM
Predator "lore" and "aesthetic" should have a "Space-Conan" or "space-MadMax" vibe to it. Rough, rugged and savage, with an emphasis on heroic myth and legend. Remember the "devil that hunts men" stuff from the first film? More of that, please.

All the Yautja stuff makes them feel like some species that Kirk would find on Star Trek. Like the Klingons younger brothers or something.
The tone feels way off. All the shit about "honor" gives me a headache.

A big mistep from the recent movies was also abandoning all the weird, orange-glow spaceship interiors from Predator 2 in favor of some super squeaky clean metallic designs that look like they were rejected from some Marvel movie.

Aesthetic-wise... give me more skull and bones necklaces, as well.

I would honestly be more than happy to never hear "Yautja" or "honor" brought up in relation to a Predator narrative again.

Jigsaw85

me too. I never want to hear anything about young bloods, elites, elders, blooded, bad bloods or any of that crap. A predator is a predator PERIOD. Stop trying to divide them up into groups, the movies are never going to explain any of it anyway.

Nightmare Asylum

The "dogs vs wolves" element in Predators is as far as I would ever care to see that stuff go, and even that was a little too far for me (though in comparison to most other expanded Predator "worldbuilding," I'll take it).

Keep all of that junk from the AVP films, The Predator, and basically any of the comics/novels that dabble in these elements wayyyyyy out of here, thank you very much.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Nov 24, 2020, 02:27:40 AM
me too. I never want to hear anything about young bloods, elites, elders, blooded, bad bloods or any of that crap. A predator is a predator PERIOD. Stop trying to divide them up into groups, the movies are never going to explain any of it anyway.

I sitll need the alien hunting club aboard the space bus, where the Predator is just one of the hunters among the other species on board. I bet it is as charming as the Mos Eisley Cantina.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 24, 2020, 02:10:03 AM
I would honestly be more than happy to never hear "Yautja" or "honor" brought up in relation to a Predator narrative again.

Well dats not how the Thomas Brothers created/wrote them, so....

Hey, didn't you say you're not even a fan of Predator in general? Problem is solved!   ;)

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

When did everyone go anti-lore all of a sudden?

I thought the appeal was they weren't the slandered take over the world aliens or slasher monsters, that they had a unique culture with a code of honor and various technology and ideologies. Otherwise they are no better than the regular serial killer.

Guess they are just The Predator fans....

Voodoo Magic

Alien fans vs Predator lore?

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Nov 24, 2020, 02:37:32 AM
When did everyone go anti lore all of a sudden?

Guess they are just The Predator fans....

I'm an Alien fan. I love Predator 2 though.

skhellter

First 3 movies had it right in regards to their world building.

"honor" does come into play a tiny bit (the 2nd movie expands on this a fair bit) but... it shouldn't be complicated to the extent that they are turned into "space samurai" or whatever.

At the end of Predator 2, everyone else wanted to kill Harrigan really fast.
It was no complicated "honor code" that stopped them from doing so.
It was only the whim of that older Predator.

depictions of "honor" and what is "fair game" or not should change from Predator to Predator.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 24, 2020, 02:37:15 AM
Hey, didn't you say you're not even a fan of Predator in general? Problem is solved!   ;)

I'm a fan of the movies (mainly the first two, especially the second, and to some degree Predators) but I am not so much a fan of the "lore" and franchise surrounding them. Especially stuff like The Predator and the AVPs, what with all of these factions and ranks and whatnot.

Sci-fi horror in general is something that I absolutely love, though. And I love westerns as well, so if this new one can play into those elements and synthesize them into something that really delivers, then hardcore Predator fan or not, that sounds like a film that I can very much get into.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed