Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 278,380 times)

Engineer

Engineer

I see it as a plot hole, because it's already been established in other canonical sources that the incubation is xx time frame, and that biochemistry manipulation (which takes time) is a necessary part of the process. Ridley just ignored all that. I believe the weyland yutani report goes into those details about the facehugger, and it was "cannon" before covenant was...

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Good for you, but that's merely your subjective interpretation. The point is that it doesn't contradict anything in the films because the duration of impregnation is never definitively defined... just like gestation and the time it takes for chestburster to develop into an adult.

Magegg

Magegg

I would say Covenant makes it even less consistent. That's not a compliment.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Darth Vile on May 25, 2017, 08:56:40 PMTo be honest, it actually makes more sense that a facehugger would implant a host quickly. Perhaps not within 5 seconds, but certainly within an hour. It just isn't efficient to do it so slowly... especially for a "perfect organism".

Something like that happening so quickly makes less sense if you ask me. It taking a long time gave it a sense of believability, whereas if it's just instant it crosses over into movie super monster territory for me.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Darth Vile on May 26, 2017, 05:27:33 AM
Good for you, but that's merely your subjective interpretation.

lol. I never said otherwise.

8thPassenger

8thPassenger

Long time since I've posted here, but like Kane (and others) I also need to get something off my chest...

Saw Covenant last weekend. Probably the worst film I've ever sat through. I think I actually felt my brain cells die while watching it.

First of all, the flute scene. Five minutes of an android teaching another android how to play the flute. What was the point of this scene? Same with all the name dropping of poets and composers. If they were meant to add some sort of depth to the film, the result was a failure. Overall, the intellectualism and philosophy of this film is so pretentious it's not even funny, just infuriating.

As with Prometheus, Covenant is paced horribly, the dialog is clumsy, and the characters are just as stupid. There is never a sense of any real threat, because you just never give a s**t about what happens to anybody. I found myself checking my phone to see how the Stanley Cup playoffs were going.

If this movie gets good ratings, nothing matters anymore. Just make a film look pretty and throw around some "deep" ideas, and people will love it.

I've been a fan of the series for over 20 years,  but will not spend any more of my money for another monumental disappointment. Over and out.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: 8thPassenger on May 26, 2017, 02:55:22 PMI found myself checking my phone to see how the Stanley Cup playoffs were going.

In a darkened cinema? I'm relieved you won't be coming to any more Alien movies.  ;)

8thPassenger

8thPassenger

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on May 26, 2017, 02:58:17 PM
Quote from: 8thPassenger on May 26, 2017, 02:55:22 PMI found myself checking my phone to see how the Stanley Cup playoffs were going.

In a darkened cinema? I'm relieved you won't be coming to any more Alien movies.  ;)

Don't worry, there was hardly anybody else in the theater with me, and being quite the gentleman, I made sure nobody else was bothered.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on May 26, 2017, 02:58:17 PM

Perhaps the Cinena was empty. It was when I went. And you saw the opening weekend performance, right? Lol, jk (sort of)

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Quote from: 8thPassenger on May 26, 2017, 02:55:22 PM
Long time since I've posted here, but like Kane (and others) I also need to get something off my chest...

Saw Covenant last weekend. Probably the worst film I've ever sat through. I think I actually felt my brain cells die while watching it.

First of all, the flute scene. Five minutes of an android teaching another android how to play the flute. What was the point of this scene? Same with all the name dropping of poets and composers. If they were meant to add some sort of depth to the film, the result was a failure. Overall, the intellectualism and philosophy of this film is so pretentious it's not even funny, just infuriating.

Do you actually know anything about the philosophy being explored or the artists and poets? Maybe it's your ignorance of those subjects that infuriates you, and not the subjects themselves. I certainly wouldn't give what you say much credence if you're haven't read Shelley or Byron, or listened to Wagner, and actually understand something intimate about the novels, poetry and music on display. For me, what's infuriating is the ignorance of people like yourself who attack ideas that they know nothing about.

Engineer

Engineer

Are you sure it's a problem of ignorance on the philosophical concepts being explored? I'm familiar with those concepts, but I don't feel that it fits in with the series as established. It would have been better explored as a tangent or a completely different movie franchise. They just kind of shoved 'alien' and these philosophies together and it feels out of place to me. Interesting? yes, but just out of place.

Bughunter S. Thomson

Quote from: NickisSmart on May 26, 2017, 03:46:32 PM

Do you actually know anything about the philosophy being explored or the artists and poets? Maybe it's your ignorance of those subjects that infuriates you, and not the subjects themselves. I certainly wouldn't give what you say much credence if you're haven't read Shelley or Byron, or listened to Wagner, and actually understand something intimate about the novels, poetry and music on display. For me, what's infuriating is the ignorance of people like yourself who attack ideas that they know nothing about.

So you're telling me to enjoy an Alien movie, it is now a requirement to be versed in Bryon, and be familiar with the compositions of Wagner, and if not, you should be ashamed of your uncultured self while only the intellectual elites enjoy the film?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

8thPassenger

8thPassenger

Quote from: NickisSmart on May 26, 2017, 03:46:32 PM

First of all, you must be fun at parties!

Second, rest assured I'm quite familiar with the ideas being thrown around.

Third, so a moviegoer has to "understand something intimate about the novels, poetry and music on display" (these were your words) to truly enjoy or criticize Covenant?

Fourth, I did not attack the ideas, I attacked their clumsy use in this particular film. Do you understand the difference?

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Quote from: Engineer on May 26, 2017, 04:02:01 PM
Are you sure it's a problem of ignorance on the philosophical concepts being explored? I'm familiar with those concepts, but I don't feel that it fits in with the series as established. It would have been better explored as a tangent or a completely different movie franchise. They just kind of shoved 'alien' and these philosophies together and it feels out of place to me. Interesting? yes, but just out of place.

Both Cameron made Aliens, the series was one film, an exercise in Gothic Horror. Then, with the sequel, it's Starship Troopers, or Zulu Dawn in outer space. If you can make that jarring of a switch, then why not explore the Romantic poets? How is Byron anymore out of place than Robert A. Heinlein, given how radically different Aliens is, in style and execution, to Alien. Stylistically those films are heading north and south. If Cameron can do whatever he likes with the series, why Scott, and why are his choices interesting but out of place? I'll tell you why, it's because Cameron's had a choke hold over the franchise for 32 years, and nowadays people don't expect anything else.

When Cameron made his changes, it was a fanboy geeking out over a single film. Scott, on the out hand, has to contend with a fanbase that's had over three decades to grow and establish its own expectations. That's why his ideas feel out of place. That's why people call them unwelcome or pretentious, because they run counter-current with what they know and are familiar with as an audience, and as individuals. Yet I suspect a majority of the people who label Scott's changes as pretentious probably don't read poetry or books, and are only familiar with these authors by name. Given their lack of understanding with these concepts, they assume them to be empty and contribute nothing to the franchise, but what's really empty in this case are their own heads.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: NickisSmart on May 26, 2017, 04:14:29 PM
Quote from: Engineer on May 26, 2017, 04:02:01 PM

Both Cameron made Aliens, the series was one film, an exercise in Gothic Horror. Then, with the sequel, it's Starship Troopers, or Zulu Dawn in outer space. If you can make that jarring of a switch, then why not explore the Romantic poets? How is Byron anymore out of place than Robert A. Heinlein, given how radically different Aliens is, in style and execution, to Alien. Stylistically those films are heading north and south. If Cameron can do whatever he likes with the series, why Scott, and why are his choices interesting but out of place? I'll tell you why, it's because Cameron's had a choke hold over the franchise for 32 years, and nowadays people don't expect anything else.

When Cameron made his changes, it was a fanboy geeking out over a single film. Scott, on the out hand, has to contend with a fanbase that's had over three decades to grow and establish its own expectations. That's why his ideas feel out of place. That's why people call them unwelcome or pretentious, because they run counter-current with what they know and are familiar with as an audience, and as individuals. Yet I suspect a majority of the people who label Scott's changes as pretentious probably don't read poetry or books, and are only familiar with these authors by name. Given their lack of understanding with these concepts, they assume them to be empty and contribute nothing to the franchise, but what's really empty in this case are their own heads.

There were plenty philosophical ideas presented in aliens. And alien...

Alien was all about gender role reversal. Men being raped and forced to bare a child. And ripley being the hero which was a first for women in a film like this at the time (common place now). Aliens continued that idea, but in a different way... ripley was still the hero. But then add in an emphasis on motherhood instead of child birth. Ripley becomes the surrogate mother for newt. Has a showdown with the queen, mother to the aliens. Etc...

These are deep messages that make you think just the same. These motifies are what fits 'alien' and switching now to 'creation' just doesn't jive well... of course, this is just my opinion :-)

Oh and Cameron doesn't have a choke hold over the franchise. He hasn't been involved since 'aliens.' That's all fox, my man...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed