New PREDATOR Movie in the works from 10 Cloverfield Lane Director!

Started by Whos_Nick, Nov 20, 2020, 08:19:51 PM

Author
New PREDATOR Movie in the works from 10 Cloverfield Lane Director! (Read 118,862 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SiL on Dec 02, 2020, 01:18:53 PM
Obviously they're going to figure out a way to fight back against the Predator. If they didn't, there's no story.

Man, and I thought this was just a documentary about that time a Predator steamrolled through some indigenous people with his plasma cannon and then just flew back off into space before anyone knew he was here.

You mean to tell me that this is fiction? And that the writers can come up with a way to get a narrative out of this matchup, with stakes and tension and exciting action sequences?

Highland

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 02, 2020, 02:03:52 PM
Quote from: SiL on Dec 02, 2020, 01:18:53 PM
Obviously they're going to figure out a way to fight back against the Predator. If they didn't, there's no story.

Man, and I thought this was just a documentary about that time a Predator steamrolled through some indigenous people with his plasma cannon and then just flew back off into space before anyone knew he was here.

You mean to tell me that this is fiction? And that the writers can come up with a way to get a narrative out of this matchup, with stakes and tension and exciting action sequences?

I see it's still very hard around here to discuss things without someone being a condescending twat.

Anyways. Hopefully they do sell a good story.

Nightmare Asylum

My apologies, I don't mean to come off that way, genuinely.

I just don't see any real difference between something like this and the original film. In either situation, be they Comanche warriors or Dutch's team, the Predator could kill all of them in a matter of minutes if it chose to just sit in the trees, cloaked, and fire its plasma cannon at them one by one. That's just kind of baked into these movies. Dutch and his guys' weapons were all essentially ineffective, as they couldn't land a shot to save their lives, and the Predators like toying with their prey which inevitably leads to their downfall as the hero character taps into their inner primal nature, rather than their technology, and uses that to come out on top.

To me, this seems like a neat concept to just scrap the superfluous "modern" technology right from the start. And because the human characters here will be starting from a slightly lesser playing field weapons wise, that will likely ramp the tension up more.   

Sol

I want the Pred to win. We never get the story of the Pred who survives his hunt and heads back to their Homeworld. We just get the story of the ones who come and get killed.

BigDaddyJohn

Maybe one day who knows, but the predator still is a movie monster most of the time, so he has to be the bad guy most of the time.

Jigsaw85

Don't think most studios, especially Disney, would make a movie where the audience gets invested in the protagonist only for him/her to get his/her spine ripped out in the end. I mean, who would that please, other than that one really hardcore predator fan sitting in the crowd?

Sol

Sol

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Dec 02, 2020, 07:42:49 PM
Don't think most studios, especially Disney, would make a movie where the audience gets invested in the protagonist only for him/her to get his/her spine ripped out in the end. I mean, who would that please, other than that one really hardcore predator fan sitting in the crowd?

Not sure where this thought process is coming from. This won't be a Disney branded project. Not sure what sense you think it would be for them to not make this film appeal to the mature audience it's always been aimed for.

skhellter

skhellter

No, Jigsaw is correct.

And "mature audience" doesn't really mean "people who want to see a dour and depressing Predator movie where the Predator rips the spine of the protagonist at the end"

The Predator series is mostly fun action/horror films. They are very pulp at heart.. and pulp stuff needs to have a very "teenage heart" for it to work. Violent as f**k and aimed at adults? Yes. "Mature" in terms of tone? They're not. I wouldn't want them any other way, to be honest. I want cool action, one liners, badass shit, dumb macho posturing, spooky cryptid Predator... etc.

overthere

overthere

Guys, hear me out.

Predator surviving the movie does not mean the lead character has to die. She might just get pregnant and she's automatically off limits. That very well may be her plan. No plan B for her.

SiL

That sounds like there'd be no climax.

If only the sex had been the same ;D

Sol

Quote from: skhellter on Dec 02, 2020, 09:12:46 PM
No, Jigsaw is correct.

And "mature audience" doesn't really mean "people who want to see a dour and depressing Predator movie where the Predator rips the spine of the protagonist at the end"

The Predator series is mostly fun action/horror films. They are very pulp at heart.. and pulp stuff needs to have a very "teenage heart" for it to work. Violent as f**k and aimed at adults? Yes. "Mature" in terms of tone? They're not. I wouldn't want them any other way, to be honest. I want cool action, one liners, badass shit, dumb macho posturing, spooky cryptid Predator... etc.

How is every person in the cast except the lead, lone survivor getting murdered in gruesome fashion equate to any of that? And what does that incorrect assessment have to do with Disney?

SiL

Because the big bad is vanquished by the hero in the end. That doesn't mean bad stuff doesn't happen earlier. If it didn't, there'd be no triumph in the victory.

Sol

Quote from: SiL on Dec 02, 2020, 10:54:40 PM
Because the big bad is vanquished by the hero in the end. That doesn't mean bad stuff doesn't happen earlier. If it didn't, there'd be no triumph in the victory.

What does that have to do with Disney moving forward? And that in itself is a product of the time, and the kind of story they were telling.

It is not a retroactive telling of how Disney would handle the project moving forward. It's not even being published by Disney.

Whiskeybrewer

After watching Crocodile Dundee 2, i realised i now want a Predator movie in the Australian Outback

SiL

Quote from: Sol on Dec 02, 2020, 10:56:52 PM
Quote from: SiL on Dec 02, 2020, 10:54:40 PM

What does that have to do with Disney moving forward? And that in itself is a product of the time, and the kind of story they were telling.

It is not a retroactive telling of how Disney would handle the project moving forward. It's not even being published by Disney.
Product of its time? The last movie came out two years ago and once again features the protagonists victorious.

Where's the idea coming from that the general "mature" audience wants to see the protagonists fail?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed