Aliens: Dark Descent

Started by BlueMarsalis79, Jun 09, 2022, 06:09:08 PM

Author
Aliens: Dark Descent (Read 52,571 times)

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 22, 2024, 10:38:19 PMGet good.

For most people this would be an option.

However I've never been great at video games despite having played them for 33 years or more. Even when I was young and could spend all the time in the world playing.

In the last decade I have only had a very small amount of time to dedicate to gaming, which exacerbates my lower than average abilities.

So playing something like this with a controller is feeling impossible almost. Ive gotten my squad killed maybe 7 to 10 times on the first mission already and i've only saved 1 survivor lol.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I was talking to Kimmy about Isolation actually, Dark Descent unlike it is genuinely difficult though.

Dachande

Dachande

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 23, 2024, 01:06:47 PM

In the last decade I have only had a very small amount of time to dedicate to gaming, which exacerbates my lower than average abilities.

I'm the same. I just stick anything new on the easiest difficulty, and go from there. If i like it enough to play again ill bump it up, but these days i just wanna breeze through things on a nice easy setting. All those souls-like games can go to hell. Except Nioh. That was split into levels which made it much more enjoyable

razeak

razeak

It took me 6 hours to master the patterns for the last level of the original Ninja Gaiden. It had unlimited continues. It was terrible. lol. Never again. I do play default, but gaming is usually limited. Dark Descent brought me back for a week. Otherwise I typically only play a bit with the kids.

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 28, 2023, 10:48:45 AMHas anyone come across a way to get that specific injury on purpose?

Yep, load a new mission where you're outside. Pop the flair for the Dropships airstrike. Make your marine walk through it. It does tons of damage. Downs your marine in one or 2 strikes. Keep reloading the level until you get the number of injuries you want.

I wonder if someone has got a marine with all 4 prosthetics yet? If it's even possible.

razeak

razeak

Bumped damage and health for aliens up a bit for new game plus. Chugged along nicely until first queen encounter. I mistakenly didn't have command points when it started except 1. lol. It went badly.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Still Collating... on Jan 24, 2024, 12:35:55 AMIf it's even possible.

Quoteif possible that is?.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 23, 2024, 01:20:42 PMI was talking to Kimmy about Isolation actually, Dark Descent unlike it is genuinely difficult though.

Get good at hiding?  The gameplay isn't difficult.  It is boring.  It's a coma inducing snoozefest.  For somebody that doesn't scare easy, just sitting in a certain place for minutes on end just doesn't do it for me.  There is no scare factor for me.  Just an annoyance one.  The legitimate best parts of the game are when the Alien(s) aren't even present.  Only then can you actually explore and enjoy the best homage to the original film in the EU.  From a sheer immersion standpoint, it is excellent.  Marred by its completely non frightening gameplay. 

Dark decent isn't much harder.  But it IS a better game to play. 

The only thing one needs to get good at for Isolation is keeping your eyes from closing as you fight sleepiness waiting for the alien to leave. 

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 23, 2024, 01:06:47 PM

For most people this would be an option.

However I've never been great at video games despite having played them for 33 years or more. Even when I was young and could spend all the time in the world playing.

So playing something like this with a controller is feeling impossible almost. Ive gotten my squad killed maybe 7 to 10 times on the first mission already and i've only saved 1 survivor lol.
I feel you, but the first squad mission was perhaps one of the most difficult ones.
You are still learning the mechanics, but the game throws hordes at you (including a Crusher).

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I outright do not believe you only sat in place for minutes at a time as your strategy or perhaps you never played it on Hard. The behaviour of the Alien changes with difficulties, you can get away with hiding in a locker or under a desk repeatedly on normal, on hard you have to keep moving and use your tools as distractions or offensively if it sees you.

One of the best stealth videogames I have ever played, I have done the one shot, do not die once during the main campaign achievement in it; on Xbox 360 on Xbox One and PC- I know it like the back of my hand and know mechanically what you claim simply does not match the reality.

Dark Descent being more inconsistent makes the stealth in that more infuriating although it is still very rewarding.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Might want to throw an @Kimarhi in there to avoid any further confusion.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Fair enough.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 25, 2024, 04:15:00 PMI outright do not believe you only sat in place for minutes at a time as your strategy or perhaps you never played it on Hard. The behaviour of the Alien changes with difficulties, you can get away with hiding in a locker or under a desk repeatedly on normal, on hard you have to keep moving and use your tools as distractions or offensively if it sees you.

One of the best stealth videogames I have ever played, I have done the one shot, do not die once during the main campaign achievement in it; on Xbox 360 on Xbox One and PC- I know it like the back of my hand and know mechanically what you claim simply does not match the reality.

Dark Descent being more inconsistent makes the stealth in that more infuriating although it is still very rewarding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCkqpRnk1oU

It's boring af. 

My initial strat was just to walk backwards with the motion tracker out.  Which also was not a light the world on fire method of excitement.  I'm glad it did something for you, but I have about as much fun watching fresh paint dry. 

To me, it is a MASSIVELY overrated game and I'm glad there hasn't been a sequel I have been forced to play just because it was so good at capturing the feel of the original movie. 

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Sounds like you never gave it a shot in the first place. If it is not for you, you do not have to make up stuff to justify that fact, I know someone else on this forum did the exact same thing (muh bugs) funnily enough.

No sequel, but it got ported to everything,  just because it is that good and optimised.

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jan 25, 2024, 03:28:48 AM
Quote from: Still Collating... on Jan 24, 2024, 12:35:55 AMIf it's even possible.

Quoteif possible that is?.

Found a short on YouTube. It is possible to get all 4 prosthetics!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed