Work on the Sequels Stopped?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 18, 2017, 11:49:17 AM

Author
Work on the Sequels Stopped? (Read 149,220 times)

windebieste

windebieste

True in '79.  Never to be repeated.

-Windebieste.

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Alionic on Jul 26, 2017, 06:41:46 AM
Quote from: Xeneus on Jul 26, 2017, 05:56:25 AM
I'm not sure why people are saying this is Scott's franchise. Dan O'Bannon pretty much kickstarted the entire thing, including the recruitment of Giger.

The studio would have never gone through with Giger's work without Scott's insistence. He also got Fox to double the budget.
Didn't also Scott himself insist on filming the Space Jockey in Derelict on a 1:1 scale set?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: kwisatz on Jul 26, 2017, 04:39:15 AM
Ah thx thx.

Can you perhaps provide me with a link to this final final final ultimate script? Thx in advance.

Or is that this 'Terry Rawlings script'?

FYI for everyone - All currently available scripts are in our downloads page, including the Rawlings notation one - http://www.avpgalaxy.net/downloads/

Quote from: Xeneus on Jul 26, 2017, 05:56:25 AM
I'm not sure why people are saying this is Scott's franchise. Dan O'Bannon pretty much kickstarted the entire thing, including the recruitment of Giger.

That's the thing that too many people forget. Scott was one part of a really amazing creative team that made Alien so great. It didn't lay at his feet alone and he wasn't given carte blanche for the film. That's what we need for another film - Ridley or not. A truly great creative team, where there's great collaboration.

Quote from: Hemi on Jul 26, 2017, 06:51:17 AM
btw why are we using the word "trope" in regards to Alien... Isn't that one of the movies that started it all? Or at least when it was released, these things weren't regarded as "tropes". Hell, some people thought they were going to see a "Star Wars" like movie and ended up painting the pavement with their supper. :P

I think it was more Alien had a certain flair and style that was imitated for ages after. It certainly used tropes (to play along or subvert) and riffed off older existing sci-fi and horror films. Strange Shapes probably has an article about it somewhere.

Quote from: Keyes on Jul 25, 2017, 03:42:44 PM
What earlier script is this Hicks? Can you talk about the differences to the final film?

I'll be sharing it next month, after the Blu-ray is out. But what I've got seems to be the first of or an early draft of Logan's work on the script.

Hemi

Hemi

Well...lets say I think it didn't felt as a trope to the mainstream audience at the time. (I asume this because it's reaction to Alien was crazy, with folk running out of the theather etc....though that could be an American thing...)

Either way... the scene works for me at least. When rewatching the movie and you hope she won't go for the cat this time around...you know it's good. Or:

• "Brett will just look at Parker and Ripley and say "Right" and leave the fcking cat alone"
• "No this time around Hicks will check the ceiling and close all the airducts too"
• "Maybe the T-Rex will just eat the goat and move on..."
• "No, Quint will radio home for help this time around"

If you go: "Oh there goes Rosenthal again...oh hey look, there is her floating face... AGAIN FOR THE THIRD TIME!!!" then the scene fails miserably imo. 

Each their own..

T Dog

T Dog

Regarding Brett everyone is forgetting that they thought the Alien was just some small rst s8zed creature.

Dallas was also purposefully using himself as bait to try and lure the creature to a specific spot

Naf Neila

Naf Neila

"this disgusting Ridley vs. Blomkamp hate war thing"

Guess Corporal Hicks is totally ok with Ridley Scott backstabbing Neill Blomkamp and then lying about it

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 26, 2017, 08:05:12 AM
FYI for everyone - All currently available scripts are in our downloads page, including the Rawlings notation one - http://www.avpgalaxy.net/downloads/
And "thank you, sir" for posting them!  I just love me some Alien-seriesscripts...   ;D

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Naf Neila on Jul 26, 2017, 01:43:10 PM

Guess Corporal Hicks is totally ok with Ridley Scott backstabbing Neill Blomkamp and then lying about it

What I'm talking about is the vitriol some people are throwing at each other because someone else may have liked to have seen Alien 3.2 or someone really liked Covenant.

Quote from: FenGiddel on Jul 26, 2017, 01:46:21 PM
And "thank you, sir" for posting them!  I just love me some Alien-seriesscripts...   ;D

No worries. :)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

I'll be sharing it next month, after the Blu-ray is out. But what I've got seems to be the first of or an early draft of Logan's work on the script.

Did Fox request that you not publish it online yet?

kwisatz

kwisatz

Ah thanks Hicks. I was looking under Alien -> Information -> etc.

Wouldnt it maybe be better to put that October 1978 script there (i can see that the Rawlings thing is a bit "bulky").

Cause i swear when i read this dialog it gave me the feeling i had always watched a pirate version/fan film edit of Alien over the years instead of the real movie  :laugh::

RIPLEY
                  That's all the oxygen.

PARKER
                  That's it.

RIPLEY
                  Now.  Let's get the food, shut
                  off the engines and get out...
                  Jones.  Where's Jones.

PARKER
                  Who knows.

LAMBERT
                  Last I saw him was in the mess.

RIPLEY
                  Go look.  We don't want to leave him.

LAMBERT
                  I don't want to go by myself.

PARKER
                  Always hated that damn cat.

RIPLEY
                  I'll go.  You load up the food.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Naf Neila on Jul 26, 2017, 01:43:10 PM

Not seen any evidence of that, but one could argue that Blomkamp's muscling in whilst the prequel film was still due for development queered the pitch and Scott and Fox had every right to diplomatically shut him down.

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

Even if Ripley had to take a detour to get the cat back, at that point she's totally alone. I would've done the same. Never had a problem with that part.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Gash on Jul 26, 2017, 03:39:32 PMNot seen any evidence of that, but one could argue that Blomkamp's muscling in whilst the prequel film was still due for development queered the pitch and Scott and Fox had every right to diplomatically shut him down.

According to someone I know at Fox, Blomkamp didn't "muscle in" at all. His film was being planned before Covenant became a serious proposition.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 26, 2017, 03:45:14 PM
Quote from: Gash on Jul 26, 2017, 03:39:32 PMNot seen any evidence of that, but one could argue that Blomkamp's muscling in whilst the prequel film was still due for development queered the pitch and Scott and Fox had every right to diplomatically shut him down.

According to someone I know at Fox, Blomkamp didn't "muscle in" at all. His film was being planned before Covenant became a serious proposition.

I glad it all worked out right in the end then.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Hows that possible though? Was there a time when a Prometheus sequel was completely off the table? Or did Fox plan to run two Alien projects parallel for a while?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed