Work on the Sequels Stopped?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 18, 2017, 11:49:17 AM

Author
Work on the Sequels Stopped? (Read 149,212 times)

Dill-On

Dill-On

Quote from: Samhain13 on Jul 22, 2017, 04:05:32 PM
They could make a "reboot" by just making another alien movie that is not related to any of the stuff that happened to the other movies so far.

It could still fit within the continuity, just make it unrelated to Ripley, LV-426 or whatever. Just a new story, new characters, make it more into the future so it doesn't contratict anything from the other movies, and leave the derelict from LV-426 alone.

I agree.

HERE YOU CAN READ SOME ADVICES FOR FILMMAKERS FROM A FAN:

1. Read some comics from Dark Horse but choose inspirations wisely.
2. Look at "ALIEN: ISOLATION", that famous game. Necessarily!
3. Hire someone who knows a lot about ALIEN and really love that "brand". Hire a real fan.
4. GET RID OF THE ENGINEERS. Space Jockeys were amazing. Do not destroy canon this time, please.
5. XENOMORPH is perfect. Do not make new creatures, seriously, we dont need them.
Especially, we do not need octopuses from outer space (Prometheus) or generic creatures from B class movies (Covenant).
6. Blomkamp is good, but not good enough. Call Denis Villeneuve, maybe he has some free time. :D

marrerom

marrerom

Fox should go big or go home. Give Ridley the budget and free reign to make his war of the worlds type sequel. Only this time don't sandwich the film's release date between massive pg-13 blockbuster franchises like Guardian's of the galaxy, Pirates of the Caribbean, and wonder woman. Honestly, what the hell did they think would happen?  ???

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jul 22, 2017, 03:31:48 PM
I want some grand scope action with engineers, humans, neos and xenos with War of the Worlds scale and Black Hawk Down's grittiness.

Damn straight!

Lonely Universe

Studio interference will only make them worse. They should just tell him to wrap it up in one more picture, then reboot if they can't get NB back on board.

Protozoid

Protozoid

Quote from: axiomatic on Jul 22, 2017, 11:33:18 AM
Quote from: Protozoid on Jul 22, 2017, 01:54:27 AM
Fox would have made more money with Prometheus 2 or The Forever War. Instead they let the rights to TFW lapse and asked him to turn P2 into an Alien prequel. If they learn anything from this error, it should be that they are better off asking Scott to make something original than ask him to copy prior work. He's much better setting trends than following them. Anybody can make a carbon copy of Alien, and it's been done many times. What nobody can replicate is Scott's perfect track record with original sci-fi movies. He knocks it out of the park every time. Covenant is the first sci-fi movie he's made that wasn't either a huge hit or a classic - or both. Covenant was the first time he made a movie that was neither. They should either get back on the Prometheus train and finish the trilogy in a bold, idea-driven way, or get the rights to something like The Forever War.

As much as I like Scott's work. Covenant feels like he phoned it in a bit. There is a great movie hiding in there somewhere but it feels rushed and underdeveloped. Either that or the studio meddled to much.

The xeno just isn't strong enough to carry the movie and they failed to establish a strong lead to hang the franchise on. David is a great character but he'd need to be on the level of Lecter insane to get people to put their butts in the seats.

At this point I'd say going for broke is probably the best idea for the franchise. Roll the dice and let Ridley do his thing. If it fails then soft reboot it and get Scott as far away as possible.
My feeling on this is that, yes, Scott phoned Covenant in. He only seemed to show any interest in the David scenes and the Shaw flashback. The xeno scenes, in particular, were definitely disinteresting to him. But I feel he would not have phoned in Prometheus 2. That was a passion project of his. He had a blast making Prometheus but constant meddling with the development broke him. Look at the number of writers, the number of drafts of Prometheus 2 before it was cancelled, the number of drafts of Covenant before it got the green light, the unused non-xeno design work, his comments about the proposed P2 plotlines and the xeno, how he added the xeno after Blomkamp's pitch... To me, it is clear that the studio wanted another Alien, not another Prometheus despite Scott's better judgement, he had no passion for the film, and the result was kind of a disaster. He wanted to stay captain of the franchise, but the studio was only going to commission an Alien movie. I think he should have let Blomkamp make his movie, which would have done just as poorly, if not worse, and then waited for the studio to realize their mistake and ask him on bended knee for another Prometheus. Instead, he made compromises to the Prometheus storyline that cannot be undone, Covenant ends with a setup going somewhere that not very many people are excited about. This is one of the saddest missed opportunities of Scott's career, if not the entire genre of science fiction. We could have had a really passionate, bold, cerebral movie, and instead we got another Alien movie with a taste of what could have been. To me, a huge sci-fi and Scott fan, this is heartbreaking. I'm still not over it.

Robopadna

Robopadna

QuoteGiven that Fox wants the 'ALIEN' series to be successful, it would be counterproductive to that goal to kill it dead right now.  While it hasn't had 'Star Wars' or 'MCU' levels of success, it hasn't been a failure, either.  Likely takings after Japan has finished screening the movie is going to be around $250m.  That's not a failed movie.  So at least one movie is going to happen

It actually has been a financial failure or at least a big disappointment to the studio.  Making 250 million means nothing in itself.

I am somewhat confused because WHY is it counter productive to stop the franchise?   It might be EXACTLY what the franchise needs right now before they plow ahead with throwing good money after bad.

The studio isn't pumping the brakes because the movie was a financial success.

QuoteLikely, it will be a consolidation of content we've seen in 'PROMETHEUS', 'ALIEN Covenant' and the crowd pleasing elements of 'ALIENS' but on a much grander scale.

So the audience isn't there to support a moderately budgeted covenant but you think the studio will spend even more next time?

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Quote from: Samhain13 on Jul 22, 2017, 03:32:54 PM
Quote from: NickisSmart on Jul 22, 2017, 03:04:23 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Jul 22, 2017, 02:57:43 PM
The thing is that I don't trust Scott anymore :) What will be will be.

All this talk about trust, and hurting fans feelings. He doesn't owe us anything. I hope he makes 100 films that conform to his ideas and his vision, and those things only.

"Beethoven, write your symphonies the way I want!" --Napoleon

Doesn't look like he will be doing more alien movies any time soon.

Sure he will. And the fans with scream and cry but Ridley will keep making films and Neil Blomkamp will die of old age before he can make one Alien film.

Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry

Call the guys who made Isolation...They know A L I E N more than Ridley Scott.

CainsSon

CainsSon

People who think Covenant is a massive failure to end a franchise and that it was Ridley Scott's fault are thinking very narrowly about how the film business works for franchises like these.
First, Fox made the mistake themselves, to release the film in the states the weekend before Memorial Day. It opened at number one a weekend before and then lost all kinds of $ - NOT BECAUSE IT WASN'T WELL RECEIVED, that's just what YOU WANT to think, because at that point it was very well received - but because PG13 films dominate Memorial Day weekend. The Studios make all of their money in the first few weeks of a films release and then the rest is really the money the theatres make. Fox knows all of that. Its' their job and they f**ked that up by moving up the release date.
Second, a franchise film like this is meant, from the studio's perspective, to prop up an already dominant franchise. In this case, unlike PROMETHEUS, which - again CONTRARY TO WHAT PEOPLE WOULD LIKE TO THINK - propped up the franchise VERY well, and resulted in growth of the expanded universe, ALIEN:COVENANT did not PROP up interest in the franchise the way they would have liked. Also their fault for hamfisting in the xeno into a film that had lots of great new creatures to work with.

Still, all of this does not mean the film failed. It just failed to prop the franchise up the way, they'd hoped.
It will likely still make loads of profit on Home Formats and I guarantee everyone hemming and hawing now will end up appreciating it more, over time. SMH.
250mil dollars from an R-RATED film, is more than the most profitable R-Rated films, ever make. They will just attempt to make them for cheaper, or try to get Ripley back and 'go big.'

Honestly, the big mistake FOX made, whoever's decision it was, was to hamfist the Aliens-crap into the Prometheus sequel, when they had a great, great idea from the get-go to make Prometheus 2 AND Blomkamp's Alien at once. That only complicated COVENANT in a very difficult way, when it concerns moving forward now.

The reason for the re-evaluation is because they are worried that the next film will make less and need x to produce, which will further erode interest and value. So they are looking for the cracker jack prize next. What is it?

I still think the way out is through. But one ever realizes that no matter how much it's proven time and again.

Something like this is what Fox STILL needs to do. The solution is to go forward on all lose ends. Don't make 3 prequel or Blomkamp's Alien 3.2

Make 1 more cheap PROMETHEUS-story prequel (without the Alien if necessary), and then have Ripley 8 (while downplaying her '8-ness') encounter David on a W-Y research lab in space. Then make a final film where she or some pass-the-torch character go to that planet where David made aliens and wipe it out. The End.

The key word though is: SIMPLIFY. And can you do that with the ingredients on the table now? Well, a good writer can certainly do that but, will FOX let them?

From that perspective, Isolation is another obvious direction but unless it has an equally as simple throroughfare it also potentially will just make more of a mess.

acrediblesource

They will have to pull a full stop like how Halloween did with Halloween III: Season of the Witch.
Maybe not as drastic, but to put a full stop to the storyline of David would be a good thing. Otherwise, it would do harm to something that  is otherwise wasn't intended (David being the main antagonist).

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: acrediblesource on Jul 22, 2017, 05:29:48 PM
They will have to pull a full stop like how Halloween did with Halloween III: Season of the Witch.
Maybe not as drastic, but to put a full stop to the storyline of David would be a good thing. Otherwise, it would do harm to something that  is otherwise wasn't intended (David being the main antagonist).

It is possible to start with ISOLATION and then if all goes well, have that lead to a sequel where Amanda Ripley encounters David 8...

Which brings me back to my favorite thing about Covenant - where it ended. It allows for almost any story to continue from it.

Adam802

Adam802

I want an alien movie set either in the 57 year gap between alien and aliens (like Isolation), or maybe pick up from alien 3 (with ripely still dead). Or, make a new continuity with Blomkamps film picking up from aliens. I mean they've already made non-canon alternate-continuities like AvP and the 'prometheus' series.  I want to see W-Y's brass and yes, colonial marines. They're so underused after aliens, in fact never appearing in any other movie ever. No spin off modern day and/or blue guys in suits crap. Ridley ruined the alien's backstory, not that it ever needed one. It took away the alien's mystery and turned it into another 'movie monster' which was something I always considered the Alien to be above.

darkvegett0

darkvegett0

lol at these comments about how good prom and AC were.
Guys the answer is simple they sucked....nothing more nothing less I'm sorry that offends some of you.
its not marketing, its not the genre, its ridley his staff and his vision it just plan old sucks.

Stop trying to polish these "turds" of movies.

I have seen enough of these bad alien movies which are slightly better than avpR

0321recon

0321recon

Quote from: darkvegett0 on Jul 22, 2017, 06:37:11 PM
lol at these comments about how good prom and AC were.
Guys the answer is simple they sucked....nothing more nothing less I'm sorry that offends some of you.
its not marketing, its not the genre, its ridley his staff and his vision it just plan old sucks.

Stop trying to polish these "turds" of movies.

I have seen enough of these bad alien movies which are slightly better than avpR

Well that's like you're opinion man.  ;D

Evanus

Evanus

Yeah, that comment gave me a headache. Sorry.

Kimo

Kimo

I think Scott should go make his movie about a Blue Pen. And leave anything Alien to some up coming Alien fanboy Director.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed