Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 844,846 times)

Huggs

Huggs

Ghosts of the Abyss - Blu-ray (3.5/5)

Well worth the upgrade to HD. If it wasn't for the faked interactions and dialogue, it would've been near perfect.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Terror of Mechagodzilla

I kind of love how this is a gritty, grimy 70s thriller with a fairly serious subplot about the line between human and machine... but is also about giant monsters beating the shit out of each other.

The Old One

The Old One

Because I mentioned them recently, what the hell.

Interview With A Vampire and Byzantium double feature.
Man, is IWAV's status is absolutely deserved but Byzantium is so underrated.
Spoiler
[close]

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 03, 2019, 09:27:07 PMThe MPAA seemingly had some kind of vendetta against Stallone in the 80s and 90s. Tango & Cash, Cobra, Demolition Man and Cliffhanger were all massively cut down during post-production, largely to tone down their violence. Demolition Man in particular had some major character deaths totally deleted from the film as a result.

Still, he got them back with Rambo (4), which is just insanely violent.

Here's to hoping other cuts of those movies will be released someday.

And that he gets them back even more with the next Rambo  ;D

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Blood Frenzy
Crap 80's Slasher

DeepStar Six
Gotta love the cheesiness of this and what a cast

Prez

Prez

Glass

Did not expect that final act. Nice way to round out the trilogy.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Prez on Jun 04, 2019, 12:49:36 PM
Glass

Did not expect that final act. Nice way to round out the trilogy.

Hear hear!

The Old One

The Old One

I'll need to check out Split and Glass, enjoyed Unbreakable years ago.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: The Old One on Jun 04, 2019, 05:52:44 PM
I'll need to check out Split and Glass, enjoyed Unbreakable years ago.

I need to rewatch Unbreakable again. Haven't seen it in years.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Godzilla 1984

Pretty enjoyable, more serious update of the character. Well, aside from the goofy pop song at the end. :laugh:

Godzilla vs Biollante

Good second outing. I could do without the half hearted mystical element and the all but impenetrable Engrish bits, but other than it's very watchable.

Godzilla vs King Ghidorah

The time travel plot is bonkers and makes zero sense, and the super speed effects are notably bad next to everything else, but it all somehow works thanks to sheer entertainment value.

Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth

The new mythology around Mothra is interesting, and Battra is a cool addition, but the rest of the movie is less than spectacular. That being said, Godzilla swimming through Magma and popping out of a volcano is pretty badass.

Huggs

Huggs

Jack Reacher 2 (0/5)

Absolute junk. Gave it away today.

Escape Plan (1/5)

Not as good as I remembered. I'll be passing this one on too.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Deadwood: The Movie (2019)
Too little, too late.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jun 05, 2019, 12:03:21 AMGodzilla vs King Ghidorah

The time travel plot is bonkers and makes zero sense, and the super speed effects are notably bad next to everything else, but it all somehow works thanks to sheer entertainment value.

Yeah, it stands as one of the most fun experiences I've ever had watching a movie.

And I managed to dig up my essay on it ;D

Spoiler
Oh good Lord, where do I start with this... OK, I'm gonna try and explain the plot of this to anyone who's never seen it. This may take a while.

Right, so some future dudes come back from the future in a UFO and tell Japan that in their time, Japan has been completely wiped out by Godzilla. Being nice guys, they offer to go back in time and stop Godzilla from ever being created to spare them this fate. Our main characters tag along with them and the group travels back to a small Pacific island during WWII. They get rid of the dinosaur living there – the one that would ultimately become Godzilla – but not before it saves some honourable Japanese soldiers from the evil invading Americans (yes, that happens). They teleport the dinosaur under the polar ice cap (because just killing it would be too hard, I guess) to stop him getting inadvertently nuked and becoming a monster, but before leaving the future people sneakily dump three little mutant Furby dragons on the island.

Upon returning to the present, our heroes discover the mutant Furbies have been turned into King Ghidorah by the same nuclear testing that originally created Godzilla, and the future people (who are somehow able to control him) are using him to smash the shit out of Japan. Turns out those naughty future people lied – in their time Japan is actually an economic megapower that basically rules the world, and they hijacked the time machine to come back and destroy them in the past... or something. Not sure why they bothered to enlist the help of the present-day Japanese in this endeavour, rather than just doing it themselves. But anyway, the future dudes are undone when their Japanese team-member (who was apparently fine with this scheme until now) has a change of heart and betrays them. She hatches a plan with the Japanese government to re-create Godzilla using a nuclear submarine they aren't supposed to have in the hopes he will destroy King Ghidorah.

Our heroes are chased by a future android dispatched by the future dudes to stop them, and there's also heavy use of jetpacks to ensure all the sci-fi checkboxes are ticked. The future defector is captured by the android and taken back to the UFO, but her former cohorts apparently elect not to restrain her in any way following her treachery, and thus she promptly reprograms the future android to help her and immediately resumes her plan to save the day.

Before the plan to resurrect Godzilla with nuclear missiles (best sentence ever) can be carried out, it is revealed that he has in fact already been created (again) because a Russian nuclear sub just happened to crash in the exact same spot where the future people had dumped the dinosaur in the past (again begging the question why they didn't just kill it). Godzilla heads to a Ghidorah-ravaged Japan and monster smackdowns ensue. Godzilla gets his ass handed to him until the heroes and the future defector, along with the future android, sabotage the future people's UFO, leaving them unable to control King Ghidorah. King Ghidorah is defeated, and the evil future people are killed by Godzilla. The end, right?

Nope. Godzilla now turns on Japan and begins f*cking shit up big time. So the future defector goes back to the future (where apparently the plan to destroy Japan has been abandoned), finds King Ghidorah's corpse, turns him into Mecha-King Ghidora (shan't ask how that works) and pilots him back in time to fight Godzilla in the ruins of present-day Tokyo. More questions, such as why didn't you travel back to a point before Godzilla trashed half of Japan, arise. Mecha-King Ghidorah eventually emerges from the brawl victorious, crashing into the ocean and taking Godzilla with him. Future heroine returns to her own time, but not before telling one of our heroes she is in fact a descendant of his in an apparently emotional plot twist that adds precisely nothing to the film.

And all that shit happens in one movie.

Seriously, you owe it to yourself to watch this clusterf*ck. Despite only being an hour and forty-five long, with all the shit going on it feels like a three-hour epic. There's so much crazy – the future android in particular is absolutely hysterical pretty much any time it's on screen – and the Swiss-cheese script has plot holes the size of Nebraska. Add to that those classic Godzilla model effects that manage to be both very impressive and utterly terrible all at the same time and you're onto a winner.

I don't even know what score to give this. But it's best taken with a healthy dose of alcohol.

Did I mention the future people are called Futurians?
[close]

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Jun 05, 2019, 03:28:52 AMDeadwood: The Movie (2019)
Too little, too late.

That one really came in under the radar, didn't it? I only knew they'd finally done it because I stumbled onto it on Sky last weekend. I've just recently started recording the series (which I've never seen) but I made sure to get the film too.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Jun 02, 2019, 12:04:16 PM
Tango and Cash
Cheesy 80's goodness. still wonder what the original version would have been like

What is this original version of which you speak?

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 05, 2019, 08:08:07 AM
That one really came in under the radar, didn't it? I only knew they'd finally done it because I stumbled onto it on Sky last weekend. I've just recently started recording the series (which I've never seen) but I made sure to get the film too.

Oh, man. You got so much to look forward to.
It's just such a great series with amazing acting, interesting characters, excellent dialogue, dry wit,...
Ian McShane's performance alone makes it worth watching. He's old school Oscar worthy through the entire series.
Talking about all this is making me want to watch it all again  ;D

Wouldn't watch the movie if I was you. It's pretty weak compared to the series. And it's like you need to watch if for closure.
Could've worked as a series finale (with a little re-writing) if it didn't take place 10 years after the events of the last episode. And if we didn't had to wait more than 10 years to see it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed