Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 844,102 times)

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 29, 2019, 01:50:14 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 29, 2019, 08:40:36 AM
I really enjoyed The Winter Solider, but it was hurt for me by the fact that, for a film with Winter Soldier in the title, he barely featured and we really didn't learn f*ck-all about what he was up to. It also had one of those terrible just-stop-in-the-middle-of-a-scene "cliffhanger" endings that I so hate.

I never found it as a cliffhanger, nor was left with The Winter Soldier being an unresolved antagonist. We learned that Hydra had infiltrated SHIELD starting from the top with Alexander Pierce, they had coopted Bucky and made him a villian called the TWS, and they planned to exterminate all threats based on Zola's data-mining algorithm. Their plan was foiled, the Hydra run SHIELD was stopped, exposed and arrests were made, Steve got through to Bucky and subsequently saved by him, and Alexander Pierce was killed.

Just because Bucky went into hiding when the dust settled and Steve wants to go look for him, I never classified that tease as a cliffhanger in my opinion.

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 29, 2019, 08:53:10 AM
Civil War is in my top three comic books of all time, just behind Death of Superman and The Dark Knight Returns.  Though I have softened on my opinion of the movie, Civil War was the biggest let down because they had so much potential to work with and it felt like they were cramming all of that in together with Bucky's struggle.

See this is where you lose me good friend. I'm a huge fan of the Civil War comic event, as well as the film - it's in the top 3 of mcu films to me. I have no problem someone making this criticism, but knowing you called BvS a "masterpiece", a film that excessively crammed much more than Civil War ever did, it's hard to see where coming from without some critical  consistency.

I have this discussion with my brother all the time.  He adores Civil War, and BvS too.  The difference for me is that BvS gave me everything that I wanted, as a movie, as a sequel and as an homage to The Dark Knight Returns and Death of Superman.  Just me as a fan mind, it gave me everything I've ever wanted to see in a Batman/Superman movie.  I will say this about Civil War, I appreciate it more with every viewing once I let go of the comic connection and view it as a movie.  It hits the right spots for me as a movie fan, but the comic fan in me felt a little let down.  If that makes sense

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 29, 2019, 02:51:37 PM
I really enjoyed The Winter Solider, but it was hurt for me by the fact that, for a film with Winter Soldier in the title, he barely featured and we really didn't learn f*ck-all about what he was up to. It also had one of those terrible just-stop-in-the-middle-of-a-scene "cliffhanger" endings that I so hate.

I never found it as a cliffhanger, nor was left with The Winter Soldier being an unresolved antagonist. We learned that Hydra had infiltrated SHIELD starting from the top with Alexander Pierce, they had coopted Bucky and made him a villian called the TWS, and they planned to exterminate all threats based on Zola's data-mining algorithm. Their plan was foiled, the Hydra run SHIELD was stopped, exposed and arrests were made, Steve got through to Bucky and subsequently saved by him, and Alexander Pierce was killed.

Just because Bucky went into hiding when the dust settled and Steve wants to go look for him, I never classified that tease as a cliffhanger in my opinion.

Civil War is in my top three comic books of all time, just behind Death of Superman and The Dark Knight Returns.  Though I have softened on my opinion of the movie, Civil War was the biggest let down because they had so much potential to work with and it felt like they were cramming all of that in together with Bucky's struggle.

See this is where you lose me good friend. I'm a huge fan of the Civil War comic event, as well as the film - it's in the top 3 of mcu films to me. I have no problem someone making this criticism, but knowing you called BvS a "masterpiece", a film that excessively crammed much more than Civil War ever did, it's hard to see where coming from without some critical  consistency.

I have this discussion with my brother all the time.  He adores Civil War, and BvS too.  The difference for me is that BvS gave me everything that I wanted, as a movie, as a sequel and as an homage to The Dark Knight Returns and Death of Superman.  Just me as a fan mind, it gave me everything I've ever wanted to see in a Batman/Superman movie.  I will say this about Civil War, I appreciate it more with every viewing once I let go of the comic connection and view it as a movie.  It hits the right spots for me as a movie fan, but the comic fan in me felt a little let down.  If that makes sense

What I mean is as a comic fan of Dark Knight Returns and Death of Superman among others, if the cramming in Civil War bothered you, the cramming in BvS should have REALLY bothered you. That's what I was attempting to get at, at least.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Aye, but a film's a film- not a comic.

An adaptation has to stand on it's own two feet. It really shouldn't matter whether you love The Dark Knight Returns, hate it or even know about it.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on May 29, 2019, 03:44:58 PM
Aye, but a film's a film- not a comic.

An adaptation has to stand on it's own two feet. It really shouldn't matter whether you love The Dark Knight Returns, hate it or even know about it.

Overall, I do agree with you. But since the adaptation of the comic storyline with Bucky was a cramming problem for LSOK in Civil War, I was just curious why the same critical foul didn't exist for him in BvS.

It's all just friendly discussion. :)

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 29, 2019, 03:44:42 PM
Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 29, 2019, 02:51:37 PM

What I mean is as a comic fan of Dark Knight Returns and Death of Superman among others, if the cramming in Civil War bothered you, the cramming in BvS should have REALLY bothered you. That's what I was attempting to get at, at least.

Ah.  Because to me BvS didn't feel crammed.  Perhaps crammed was the wrong word to use for Civil War.  I meant that the accords themselves were enough to cause conflict but it felt pushed aside to focus more on Steve and Tony's conflict over Bucky.  This was after my first time watching the movie.  But with further viewings I'm really starting to like it more now.  It's the same with Endgame, I picked up on a few things I missed with more viewings. 

Shasvre

Shasvre

Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Well, this was a lot of fun. :)

P-Rock

P-Rock

Quote from: KiramidHead on May 28, 2019, 09:20:47 PM
Shin Godzilla

Very good for the most part, with an interesting documentary like approach and some great effects. I really, really could do without being constantly informed of the name of every room and which floor of which building it's one in every scene. It even gives you the name of specific elevators and staircases, for f**k's sake. :laugh:

That's Hideaki Anno for ya. He does the same with the Neon Genesis Evangelion anime series and movies.

Stitch

Stitch

Godzilla: King Of The Monsters.

Awesome movie. One of the most fun movies I've seen in awhile. In IMAX 3D it was absolutely amazing.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Stitch on May 29, 2019, 10:43:33 PM
Godzilla: King Of The Monsters.

Awesome movie. One of the most fun movies I've seen in awhile. In IMAX 3D it was absolutely amazing.

Can't wait. Screw the critics! Seeing it next week on the big screen.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Captain Marvel
Put it on in the background and fastforwarded through the last half hour.
Seemed below average compared to most Marvel superhero flicks.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on May 30, 2019, 04:56:15 PM
Captain Marvel
Put it on in the background and fastforwarded through the last half hour.
Seemed below average compared to most Marvel superhero flicks.

Thor The Dark World has definitely met its match.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Godzilla Raids Again

I've figured out my big problem with this one. The first half is pretty good, but after the Anguirus fight in Osaka it drags like crazy for the last forty minutes. The climax is less than exciting as well, which was doesn't help.

King Kong vs Godzilla

Crazy fun, even in the oh so obviously chopped American version. Hearing music from Creature from the Black Lagoon and The Wolf-Man over scenes of Godzilla and Kong is the best crossover nobody knew they wanted. Also, "It's okay, they're all smoking!" :laugh:

Mothra vs Godzilla

The film where learns Godzilla's greatest weakness: double bukkake. ;D Seriously though, this one is really solid. And this was my first time watching the Japanese cut. The English version really only rearranged one scene, and it works just fine either way.

The Old One

The Old One

Raw. So good.

Huggs

Huggs

The Apostle (4.5/5)

Duvall at his finest.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster

I love what a dick Godzilla is, with his pro wrestling taunts. Sadly, the horrible language line must be dub exclusive.

Invasion of Astro-Monster

The alien invasion plot, before Toho drove it into the ground.

Ebirah, Horror of the Deep

Honestly, I have no idea why this one has such a bad reputation among Godzilla fans. It's a pretty fun watch.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed