Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 844,163 times)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

I always thought The Incredible Hulk was one of the better MCU movies.

First Blood

First Blood

Agreed. It came out a month after Iron Man waaaay back in '08 and I remember preferring it over Iron Man.  :laugh:

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: First Blood on Mar 26, 2019, 05:06:03 PM
For it being the second ever MCU film, I like it despite some of its flaws. Tim Roth who I do see often these days on screen was pretty good. As was the casting for Ross. I liked that they skipped the origin and had it play out in the opening credits. They certainly have improved upon the character over the years, and Norton as Banner in my eyes was great. He was lanky, burnt out (remember he's been Hulk for a number of years) and less goofy than Ruffalo. I think given more opportunity to work with the character he would have really owned it.

I think so too.  I like Ruffalo but they've really nerfed Hulk since Age of Ultron, as much as I like GOTG I hate the fact that a badass like Drax is now comedy relief, they really cheated Hulk out of a real confrontation with Thanos

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

However nerfed, I'm still happy we got a version of Planet Hulk though...

MudButt

MudButt

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Mar 26, 2019, 05:24:32 PM
Quote from: First Blood on Mar 26, 2019, 05:06:03 PM
For it being the second ever MCU film, I like it despite some of its flaws. Tim Roth who I do see often these days on screen was pretty good. As was the casting for Ross. I liked that they skipped the origin and had it play out in the opening credits. They certainly have improved upon the character over the years, and Norton as Banner in my eyes was great. He was lanky, burnt out (remember he's been Hulk for a number of years) and less goofy than Ruffalo. I think given more opportunity to work with the character he would have really owned it.

I think so too.  I like Ruffalo but they've really nerfed Hulk since Age of Ultron, as much as I like GOTG I hate the fact that a badass like Drax is now comedy relief, they really cheated Hulk out of a real confrontation with Thanos

Hulk will have his rematch. There's a reason why we see very little Ruffalo in the trailers. He's probably Hulk throughout most of the movie this time.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

It's another one of those opinions people hate me for, but I far, far prefer the Eric Bana Hulk movie to the MCU one. Everyone in it is just so much better than the Norton movie.

MudButt

MudButt

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 26, 2019, 07:14:34 PM
It's another one of those opinions people hate me for, but I far, far prefer the Eric Bana Hulk movie to the MCU one. Everyone in it is just so much better than the Norton movie.

I wouldn't say I hate you for it. I think Bana deserved a much better movie. Sam Elliot as Ross is pitch perfect as well. I've loved the 3 actors they've cast to be in the film roles.

Damn. I wish Bana had really blown up. They tried with him, he deserved to be a big star. I love him in Troy and Black Hawk Down.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The Bana one also has that horrendous and overdone editing style.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

You mean when it splits off into comic panels? I actually quite like that :laugh:

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

;) ;D

Quote from: KiramidHead on Mar 26, 2019, 07:26:13 PM
The Bana one also has that horrendous and overdone editing style.

Quick. Lets stare at some mold together. Or was it moss. Algae?  Whatever, stare with me! ;D

Prez

Prez

I'm with you on this one. I actually enjoyed the whole psychological aspect of Ang Lee's film and I'm also a bit biased given Bana is a fellow Aussie who I always enjoy watching on screen. I mean it's got Jennifer Connelly in it!!

The 3rd act kind falls down a bit but overall I prefer it too - I found the Norton one rather average.

Huggs

Huggs

I like them both.

The funny thing is that the cgi looks better in Lee's version.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

It was weird. In some scenes the Hulk cg looked fantastic in The Incredible Hulk, then in others, not so much.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Born in East L.A. (1987)
Decent comedy written and directed by Cheech Marin.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Prez on Mar 26, 2019, 10:24:50 PMI'm with you on this one. I actually enjoyed the whole psychological aspect of Ang Lee's film and I'm also a bit biased given Bana is a fellow Aussie who I always enjoy watching on screen. I mean it's got Jennifer Connelly in it!!

The 3rd act kind falls down a bit but overall I prefer it too - I found the Norton one rather average.

I much prefer the casting for all the major characters. Eric Bana > Edward Norton. Jenifer Connelly > Liv Tyler. Sam Elliot >>> William Hurt.

As you say, Ang Lee's movie had it's faults but the MCU film just feels bland in comparison. It also bugged me that the villain in the Norton movie was basically just an evil Hulk, coming right after Iron Man fought an evil Iron Man in the first of those films.

Anyway, a bunch of movies I've watched over the last week or so:

Terminator Salvation

All the talk of this in the Terminator thread reminded me I'd not seen it for ages. I didn't like it as much as I remembered, but it's still easily the best of the post-Cameron movies, if only because it tries to do something different. Some pretty impressive cinematography in some of the action sequences.

The Death of Stalin

Really enjoyed this. The whole cast were a hoot but Steve Buscemi and Jason Isaacs in particular were a riot. As with all the best surreal comedies, much of it was worryingly believable.

Tears of the Sun

I really rate Antoine Fuqua. He may not be a visionary but I've thoroughly enjoyed every film I've ever seen by him, and this is no exception. Bits of it are quite harrowing - the scene where the SEALs come across a village being ethnically cleansed in particular is hard to watch - but its one of the best modern wear movies I can name. In hindsight, Bruce Willis seems like he's simply phoning in another of the lacklustre performances he's been making a habit of lately, but for once it actually fits his character. The final twenty minutes is pretty awesome, and it's accompanied by some of Hans Zimmer's finest work.

Brooklyn's Finest

Coincidentally another film by Fuqua. I'd seen this once but it was a long time ago, so I was keen to watch it again. Didn't realise before how many faces from The Wire crop up in this. The three/four leads are all solid. It's not on the level of Training Day (even though it's clearly trying to be) but its an engaging cop drama. Ironic that
Spoiler
the two main characters who are actually planning and striving for a better life ahead wind up dead, while the one we meet putting his revolver in his own mouth is the only one to survive.
[close]

Navy SEALs

My mind tells me this film is complete shite, but my heart tells me it's a riot. Every now and then you get one of these military-funded, blatant propaganda/recruitment pieces, but whereas these days they're all grim and deathly serious, this was the 80s*, so it's all completely ridiculous, played substantially for macabre laughs and has a rock soundtrack. Michael Biehn stars in easily the second best Navy SEAL role he's ever played, alongside a young Charlie Sheen (who manages to be likeable despite his character being a total prick) and Bill Paxton as a sniper called God. They go trotting around the globe using all the best military hardware the US Navy can supply in pursuit of some terrorists (who of course are all Arabic and who we learn literally nothing about beyond their leader's name) who have got their naughty mitts on some surface-to-air missiles. In their downtime, the SEALs play golf while rocking out to Bon Jovi covering Thin Lizzy with the amps turned to 80s.

Oh yeah, and to add to the fun, the picture quality on the DVD is atrocious, so it was more like watching a VHS, which added that extra slice of nostalgia.

*OK, so technically it was released in 1990, but it's still 80s as f*ck.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed