Marvel Announces New Anthology Series, Alien: Black, White and Blood

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 17, 2023, 06:41:51 PM

Author
Marvel Announces New Anthology Series, Alien: Black, White and Blood (Read 6,933 times)

Still Collating...

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 27, 2024, 04:20:56 PM
Quote from: RidgeTop on Feb 26, 2024, 10:14:28 PMhttps://twitter.com/ridgetop21/status/1762171432854032522

Have you PSed them to match? They don't look traced to me, just too overtly referenced.

The first one seems to have slightly different arm positions and maybe the body angle is different by a few degrees. The second one seems completely traced, just from the back of the 3D model. That's disappointing But at least good looking, dynamically posed statues are being traced, not clumsily posed, wrongly proportioned figures. If you're gonna trace, trace the best looking, most dynamic stuff out there, so not bad actually...

SM

How hard would it be to move an arm or something though?

RidgeTop

SM

Okay, they did move an arm. I stand corrected.

Still Collating...

Yeah, it's traced, but it's kinda amusing to me seeing how this is evolving. We now at least have traced good looking statues with some reposing! What a breakthrough.... Maybe in a few years we'll upgrade to no traced Aliens? But maybe that's too hard, it's not like anyone has ever successfully drawn stunning original Aliens...

It'd be funny if we one day see an Alien traced from a still in the films, or from promotional stills of the film Aliens. Why don't they just download the good looking models of Stompy and the Aliens from Fireteam Elite? Do some basic reposing in the software and there you go. Beautiful, consistent Aliens...

Kradan

Quote from: Still Collating... on Feb 29, 2024, 11:27:04 PMWhy don't they just download the good looking models of Stompy and the Aliens from Fireteam Elite? Do some basic reposing in the software and there you go. Beautiful, consistent Aliens...

Too much work

TilotnyWorshiper28

Quote from: Still Collating... on Feb 29, 2024, 11:27:04 PMYeah, it's traced, but it's kinda amusing to me seeing how this is evolving. We now at least have traced good looking statues with some reposing! What a breakthrough.... Maybe in a few years we'll upgrade to no traced Aliens? But maybe that's too hard, it's not like anyone has ever successfully drawn stunning original Aliens...

It'd be funny if we one day see an Alien traced from a still in the films, or from promotional stills of the film Aliens. Why don't they just download the good looking models of Stompy and the Aliens from Fireteam Elite? Do some basic reposing in the software and there you go. Beautiful, consistent Aliens...

DEADLINES think of the DEADLINES

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RidgeTop on Feb 29, 2024, 03:19:28 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 27, 2024, 04:20:56 PM
Quote from: RidgeTop on Feb 26, 2024, 10:14:28 PMhttps://twitter.com/ridgetop21/status/1762171432854032522

Have you PSed them to match? They don't look traced to me, just too overtly referenced.

Just did. See GIF below:

https://i.imgur.com/JkcxdJt.gif

Fair, those outlines are obviously traced. Your GIFs too small for me to tell if the detailing has been too. But honestly, I'm not offended by these. Maybe it's because they actually look decent and fit within the perspective and feel of the panel. Maybe because they're not poses I instantly recognize, but these aren't winding me up like the figure tracing.

Corporal Hicks

Just read #2. I'm continuing to enjoy the UPP story and very much enjoying the artwork in this one and eager to see the next part. My only gripe is they used Pulse Rifle looking rifles, and I wish they'd have tried to make something look different for the UPP.

Wasn't a huge fan of the second story, Morsel. I'm not sure I really understood what it was trying to do. As I was going through it it seemed quite standard fare, and then
Spoiler
the woman gets left along. The dialogue starts talking about her dying, and I wonder if she's already got an illness or something which could have been interesting.
[close]
But then it just ends with no conclusion. We got M4/16 looking weapon too which I was disappointed by.

First Day left me with a smile at the end of it but wasn't too keen on it. I wasn't a big fan of the style of the Aliens to start with, but I loved
Spoiler
that host tree thing going on.
[close]
Nothing really much to it, or to say about it.

I think the first issue was much stronger over all.

Mr.Turok

I was reminded that Alien Black, White, and Blood was a thing and rushed to read both issues to it's current point. I'm super glad that we got a look into the UPP side of things and I hope that means we can touch on other areas too like the Three World Empire, The Independent Core Star Systems, and The Frontier. Feels like that is a mine of untapped potential that has been neglected for decades. It's why I appreciate Fireteam Elite so much, it expanded the entire universe as a real fleshed out universe that had historic events, inventions, conflicts between powers and people.

As for the tracing, at this point expect this to be the norm until the higher ups start paying their artists more and lessen the deadline timing. There is a saying "work smarter, not harder" so if there is an Alien figure that they can use to convey the action and thought of the being without spending so much time, they will do it. 

SM

It's very hit and miss.

Inserting the Gibson version of the UPP into the universe continues to be a mistake. The story they're in, is okay so far however.

Spoiler
The Hunt could've gone with being longer.  Despite the force fields... ugh...

Maternal Instinct was meh.  Not bad, not good. Gave a Mother computer WAY too much personality.

Zen donut story was entirely disposable. Ditto the story with the two marines.  Employed by the Company apparently?  What mars the writing a lot in these stories in how it strays from the source material rather than building on it.

[close]

All that said, the art is all pretty great in every story.

jacobo1122

jacobo1122

I'm after issue 2 and I'm enjoying it. As it is with anthologies, stories can be hit or miss, but some of them felt like older DH shorts, nice little miniatures, without much depth. But I'm enjoying the one with UPP. It's first time I see continuing story withing Black White Blood format from Marvel and it's nice. Having one story to absorb You to the series and two additional ones in each issue works nicely. But title should be "Black, White, Blood & Green" because there are suprising amounts of that Last one 😅 

And actually using green colour is the best variant cover. I always imagined how it would look like if dome was partialy peeled off the head.

SM

The ongoing UPP story is cool.  The others aren't really much of anything.  Artwork continues to be pretty decent.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed