Aliens vs Predator 2: High Definition Mod?

Started by The Xenoborg, Sep 29, 2011, 06:56:05 PM

Author
Aliens vs Predator 2: High Definition Mod? (Read 19,993 times)

The Xenoborg

I was looking at the videos of Half Life: High Definition, and how it was just the same game with added graphical updates and newer models.  I couldn't help but wonder if the same could be done for AvP2, because the landscapes, especially jungles and terrains, were pathetic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MFJOG-0jlo#

Also, there's a remake of Half Life, called Black Mesa: Source, that would release in a few months (years, actually 2013-14) and it's just Half Life shown using modern graphics and added features, or something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lul60ixy_40#ws

I wish there's something similar for AvP:2, because I can't tolerate the boxes running around in the game!

Can the game be modded? I mean, is it possible for the in-game models to be replaced entirely, and NOT just the textures?
I am blatantly presuming that there is an SDK available for this game *cough*actually No One Lives Forever *cough*.
And can features like bloom, motion blur and similar graphical updates be added to the game?

And I know, I know, that this game had the best graphics of its time, but still, I'm just wondering.  :)

chupacabras acheronsis

they don't exist. the lithtech model format is very hard to work with and almost nobody knows how to use it.

The Xenoborg

Aww that's awful.
What about the features like motion blur, bloom, and well the stuff that can still make it look good, except textures and models?

frostedone

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Sep 29, 2011, 09:31:21 PM
they don't exist. the lithtech model format is very hard to work with and almost nobody knows how to use it.

How is the Lithtech models very hard to work with? I have very little experience with models and am just curious.

chupacabras acheronsis

the way they are read by the game, i think.

besides, very little model artists got into modding this game.

PsyKore

I'm pretty sure you can replace models and give them new animations and such via ModelEdit and other 3D modeling programs. Although, whether the actual game engine could handle the increased models, I'm unsure about. Personally, I've never tinkered with MEdit apart from slowing or speeding up certain animations. But anyway, even if the engine could cope, replacing ALL models and implementing them in game successfully would be such a huge work load for one person to do; you'd need a team to do it.

x-M-x

Quote from: PsyKore on Oct 06, 2011, 08:23:00 AM
I'm pretty sure you can replace models and give them new animations and such via ModelEdit and other 3D modeling programs. Although, whether the actual game engine could handle the increased models, I'm unsure about. Personally, I've never tinkered with MEdit apart from slowing or speeding up certain animations. But anyway, even if the engine could cope, replacing ALL models and implementing them in game successfully would be such a huge work load for one person to do; you'd need a team to do it.

How's F4AR coming along? cant wait bro.  ;D

PsyKore

Quote from: x-M-x on Oct 06, 2011, 08:25:49 AM
Quote from: PsyKore on Oct 06, 2011, 08:23:00 AM

How's F4AR coming along? cant wait bro.  ;D

Haha. I hardly get time much anymore for mapping. You'll be first to know about it, though, if I do finish it.

PLEXI

Yes, the game can be fully modded.  The source code was available for a short time even, and the packaged tools are very powerful.
Quotethe lithtech model format is very hard to work with and almost nobody knows how to use it.
Quotebesides, very little model artists got into modding this game.
For good reason, the engine is not very flexible when it comes to this.  It's very particular in how you set things up, and can be incredibly time consuming.  You would need to start from scratch with the mesh, which means redoing tons of animations and stuff. I believe 3DS 5 is the only package that fully exports correctly for use with the engine. Only one I could get solid results on at least.

To redo the entire game like the source HD mods would take a dedicated team.  So you won't see anything more then HD texture packs because of how much effort is needed for what is now considered a 'dead' game.

chupacabras acheronsis

the safest bet would be to "remake" the game with a new engine, possibly AvP2010 then

The Xenoborg

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Oct 06, 2011, 06:09:23 PM
the safest bet would be to "remake" the game with a new engine, possibly AvP2010 then
I was hoping for someone to say that! ;D
Rebellion should give out them SDK codes out because the game died too early.

Quote from: PLEXI on Oct 06, 2011, 06:07:45 PM
So you won't see anything more then HD texture packs because of how much effort is needed for what is now considered a 'dead' game.

Compared to AvP2010, it isn't really dead. It's a classic but not dead.

Le Celticant

Many plans over the years were to remake AVP2 / AVP Gold.
The problem weren't the lack of artists for models / animations / sprties / maps / blabla, it was the lack of coder.
There are still people ready around the community to unite together but without coders there are absolutely useless.  :-\

Terx2

Quote from: Le Celticant on Oct 12, 2011, 09:43:04 AM
Many plans over the years were to remake AVP2 / AVP Gold.
The problem weren't the lack of artists for models / animations / sprties / maps / blabla, it was the lack of coder.
There are still people ready around the community to unite together but without coders there are absolutely useless.  :-\

I could help with the coding but the problem is time it all takes time.

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Oct 06, 2011, 06:09:23 PM

Not a bad idea 8)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed