Alien Durability preference?

Started by (Bad Blood), Mar 03, 2023, 10:18:01 AM

Author
Alien Durability preference? (Read 4,317 times)

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

Hello my friends! I am curious yet again, what do you prefer when it comes to Xenomorph/alien Durability, the way the first film handles it? Where the alien is basically near invincible according to Ash and a trend that picked back up in Alien Isolation and Aliens Fireteam Elite. Basically even with advanced weapons it still took loads of ammo to kill even a single one. Or option two, the way Aliens 1986 handles Xenomorph Durability?

Stitch

Stitch

Just wanted to point out that the aliens in the sequel are facing explosive ammunition, which is why they go down as easily.

Against standard weaponry they'd react the same way as big chap.

(Bad Blood)

Quote from: Stitch on Mar 03, 2023, 11:48:27 AMJust wanted to point out that the aliens in the sequel are facing explosive ammunition, which is why they go down as easily.

Oh I know, that's why a mentioned that in Aliens Fireteam Elite they were more durable despite them using the same advanced weaponry as in Aliens 1986.

Wweyland

Wweyland

No strong opinion, but I don't like the bullet-sponge heavy-types from Alien: Fireteam.
Even AvP: 1999 handled it better, where you could shoot bits of even the strongest Aliens off (tail, hands, legs), and they bled heavily.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Stitch on Mar 03, 2023, 11:48:27 AMJust wanted to point out that the aliens in the sequel are facing explosive ammunition, which is why they go down as easily.

Vasquez shoots one with a pistol though.

BlueMarsalis79

Somewhere in-between, I think Fireteam Elite's a bit much but I'm more inclined to that than them being paper mache in Aliens.

SiL

SiL

Small arms fire bounces off them in Aliens.

The Alien was never meant to be bullet proof, that's why it bleeds acid. Aliens gets it right, the games are, we'll, games.

S.E.B.

S.E.B.

ALIENS: FIRETEAM is an absolutely horrible source and reference when it comes to realism. The Drones and Warriors may be 3x or 4x more durable than the Aliens in the movies, but then on the other hand you have to remember that the marines in A:FT are at least 10x more durable, strong, accurate and aware than than the marines were in ALIENS.

In ALIENS pistol bullets ricocheted
off of the Aliens when shot at more than seven or ten ft away. Vasquez killed an Alien with her pistol when she emptied a whole clip in it from POINT-BLANK range pointed at a soft spot area on the Alien.

It's safe to say that shotguns are probably as useless as pistols against Aliens from afar, but up-close they're obviously lethal against them, especially when shot inside the mouth of the Alien.

Again, Aliens ARE strong and durable as hell. They can mess up or even punch their way through metal doors/bulkheads, they can withstand beyond extreme temperatures, environments and heat (molten lead, plasma jet blasts etc.) - and so on and so forth.

The reason pulse rifles and smartguns are so effective is because they're advanced high-velocity weapons that fire explosive munitions - i.e. the rounds not only penetrate from afar but also explode, which has a boosted effect against an acid-for-blood hyper-pressurized sealed exoskeletal creature like the Alien.

I personally would like to see the Aliens to be slightly more durable than in the movies. But even more so I would like to see the concept of limb regeneration and general regeneration abilities cemented as a default trait as that was a part of the original Alien creature's quirks and chatacteristics, which R. Scott has been hinting at in interviews regarding the creature we got. For example, I subscribe to the notion that the Sentry Guns DIDN'T kill or permanently incapacitate that many Aliens in ALIENS, as most of the Aliens regenerated themselves back to their full combat capabilities within hours. In order to kill an Alien you need to blast it to pieces or destroy its head, or 'simply' remove the head from its body.

SiL

SiL

Pulse rifle rounds are also light armour-piercing.

[cancerblack]

That phrase gets bandied about but there's nothing "light" about 10mm explosive rounds.

judge death

I would argue that the xenos in aliens is a bit of both depending on the bias and how one experience the movie:
We dont see many xenomorphs killed in the hive battle, just sound of xenos hissing and screaming but if they are killed or just injured is harder to tell.
Also in the sentry guns scenes we see a few getting shot up but it seems the sentry guns are missing quite a lot and shots at limbs and dead xenos, anything that moves so I doubt they killed as many as some think.

Else if they were so easily killed, I dont see how they still could swarm the marines in the final battle where motion tracker shows the screen full of xenos coming. We know they are around 100ish xenos, so if they attack ins uch alrge numbers in the end then they cant have lost too many in previous attacks.

But then again one can argue the opposite, that the marines killed them super easily and we did see the xenos got shot up and exploded from the marines weapons.

I feel its a between of that and alien isolations version.

Myself prefer alien isolation or some degree aliens fire team elite, prefer to have them tough and hard to kill.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Mar 03, 2023, 08:26:13 PMThat phrase gets bandied about but there's nothing "light" about 10mm explosive rounds.
To be fair that's what they're explicitly referred to as.

[cancerblack]

I know. Jim knows what makes a weapon look cool but that's about it. "Light-armour piercing" might make slightly more sense than "light armour-piercing" though, I suppose.

(Bad Blood)

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 03, 2023, 07:18:05 PMSomewhere in-between, I think Fireteam Elite's a bit much but I'm more inclined to that than them being paper mache in Aliens.
I agree, I think somewhere in-between makes more sense, I feel as though using multiple clips like Fireteam Elite is a bit much lol, but also more durable than pistol fire hurting them.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Aliens: Fireteam "logic" also depends heavily on the difficulty setting.
Again, going back to AvP: 1999, I loved the setting called "Directors Cut" both for the name and the realism.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed