Just re-watched AvP 2004.....

Started by Scott Conover, Sep 29, 2018, 05:01:22 PM

Author
Just re-watched AvP 2004..... (Read 33,820 times)

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jun 17, 2020, 10:32:31 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 17, 2020, 09:39:49 PM
Yeah I actually enjoyed seeing Aliens be so deadly in the first AvP, illustrates why they are the most dangerous prey. Still shouldn't have killed two in one sitting.

Anyone who wants to adapt the AVP concept to the big screen should take note of that. If the Aliens are extremely deadly, the Predator that defeats them seems more powerful in a credible way. The two creatures must be treated with respect.

Indeed. If the Aliens become little more than cannon fodder, it diminishes the threat, and the tension. Wolf was basically Duke Nukem to a bunch of inbred doofy aliens that did very non-alien things at times.

My biggest beef with AVP was the editing of the fights and choreography. The Predators just don't look. Their design in concept is great, but the execution is bulky, awkward and unconvincing. Especially when they show them moving in slow motion like wrestlers. The original two predators felt far more agile than that and that was one of the reasons to me that it felt like a compelling duel between the two was possible.

I do agree with those that say the first AVP dropped the ball by killing Celtic so quickly. I've always thought it would have been better paced had Celtic stuck around until nearer the third act. Had the fight broken up when Grid distracted Celtic with the acid splash and Celtic was left wandering the pyramid for awhile, while we got caught up with the main characters and Scar, I think that would have been way better for the balance. I do remember being at least somewhat thrilled by the fight right up until Celtic got taken out. NOT because the fight wasn't creatively balaned, but because that was it. There's one Predator left. That was literally my thought too "That's it? Aw.."

We could have then maybe had two predators taking on aliens in the plasma cannon hallway section of the film. Maybe had Celtic go down fighting a group of the aliens and getting torn apart.

Immortan Jonesy

Celtic looked intimidating and powerful. I, like you, would not expect him to be killed so soon. But I agree. He looked heavy and clumsy in slow motion, and in a way that detail made him look like a guy in a suit instead of a hunter from another world.

Quote from: OpenMawWe could have then maybe had two predators taking on aliens in the plasma cannon hallway section of the film. Maybe had Celtic go down fighting a group of the aliens and getting torn apart.

That would be intense and full of tension. I can dig it actually.  8)

Lionhart

Lionhart

Can we all just agree that the 3 Preds from avp looked clumsy? I mean one alien killing 2 predators? That would never happen. It's more likely that a Predator kills two aliens than an Alien killing 2 Predators.

That's why I say Wolf would clean the floor with the avp Predators. Roaring under the mask was also a mistake since that had never happened in the previous movies, (only when the Predators removes the mask.) I could go on all day but is it really worth it?

SiL

SiL

We can agree they looked clumsy, sure.

Can we agree Wolf only lasted as long as he did because at no point did the Aliens do much in his presence, and yet he still lost?

Lionhart

Lionhart

Quote from: SiL on Jun 18, 2020, 06:41:21 AM
We can agree they looked clumsy, sure.

Can we agree Wolf only lasted as long as he did because at no point did the Aliens do much in his presence, and yet he still lost?

Yep, I agree that the aliens looked weak in avpr

SM

SM

I didn't find the Predator deaths to be a problem at all. One got done while distracted and the other duked it out and lost.

Two fights might've been cooler, but it wasn't unrealistic (stupidly long tail notwithstanding).

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Lionhart on Jun 18, 2020, 06:20:22 AM
Can we all just agree that the 3 Preds from avp looked clumsy? I mean one alien killing 2 predators? That would never happen. It's more likely that a Predator kills two aliens than an Alien killing 2 Predators.

That's why I say Wolf would clean the floor with the avp Predators. Roaring under the mask was also a mistake since that had never happened in the previous movies, (only when the Predators removes the mask.) I could go on all day but is it really worth it?

Why would it never happen? Aliens are deadly and very strong, easily rivaling a Predator's strength. its not a stretch to believe that one can kill two or more predators.
Remember that Gill was ganked from behind, its not like Grid bested both in combat. In fact technically speaking, Celtic won the fight but was killed due to his own stupidity.

Wolf roars under his mask too.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SM on Jun 18, 2020, 08:37:36 AM
I didn't find the Predator deaths to be a problem at all. One got done while distracted and the other duked it out and lost.

Two fights might've been cooler, but it wasn't unrealistic (stupidly long tail notwithstanding).
Their deaths mirror the first two movies, even -- not paying attention to your surroundings (Jungle Hunter/Chopper), and savouring the kill long enough for your prey to get in the killing blow (City Hunter/Celtic).

Lionhart

Lionhart

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jun 18, 2020, 08:45:31 AM
Quote from: Lionhart on Jun 18, 2020, 06:20:22 AM

Why would it never happen? Aliens are deadly and very strong, easily rivaling a Predator's strength. its not a stretch to believe that one can kill two or more predators.
Remember that Gill was ganked from behind, its not like Grid bested both in combat. In fact technically speaking, Celtic won the fight but was killed due to his own stupidity.

Wolf roars under his mask too.

Please wake up from your dreams and fantasies. A Predator = skilled hunter. One predator almost wiped out Arnolds team. Do you really belive that one alien could do that? Not possible. They are much easier to kill than a Predator, we have seen that in Aliens.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Arnold's team were no Aliens and weren't able to see the Predator like Aliens can, so comparing wiping out humans to wiping out aliens isn't realistic. Also the predator in that movie used his plasma caster a lot.

You forget that Aliens took out experienced marines as well. Marines with explosive tipped ammo which would tear a predator apart if they managed to hit it.

Judging by your post there, I am wondering if you are being serious or not. It just seems illogical.

Lionhart

Lionhart

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jun 18, 2020, 09:40:13 AM
Arnold's team were no Aliens and weren't able to see the Predator like Aliens can.
You forget that Aliens took out experienced marines as well.

Judging by your post there, I am wondering if you are being serious or not.

I am dead serious. You think those marines are a match for Arnold's team? It's like comparing kids to grown men.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

The marines while lacking in finesse, had massive firepower and were still taken out by the Aliens so badly that Hudson fell apart mentally. That ammo would kill a predator easy. Arnolds team were humans and targeted at range. Aliens would be a tougher fight as they can see the predators. The only advantages a Predator has over an Alien is technology.

Lionhart

Lionhart

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jun 18, 2020, 09:47:51 AM
The marines while lacking in finesse, had massive firepower and were still taken out by the Aliens so badly that Hudson fell apart mentally. That ammo would kill a predator easy. Arnolds team were humans and targeted at range. Aliens would be a tougher fight as they can see the predators. The only advantages a Predator has over an Alien is technology.

You really think that one alien would survive that minigun used by Mac at close range? No way. Also, if it's injured its injured, it can't self medicate it self like a Predator can. So not only is the Predator inferior in technology, also much smarter.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Lionhart on Jun 18, 2020, 09:52:12 AM
You really think that one alien would survive that minigun used by Mac at close range? No way. Also, if it's injured its injured, it can't self medicate it self like a Predator can. So not only is the Predator inferior in technology, also much smarter.
The Predator only got hit once in the leg and needed medical attention. Aliens don't need to self-medicate; they heal quickly.

It doesn't matter, though. Whether an Alien would do as well in Predator or a Predator as well in Aliens is so far removed from understanding how they'd fight each other it's not funny. None of this is relevant.

Lionhart

Lionhart

Quote from: SiL on Jun 18, 2020, 09:53:58 AM
Quote from: Lionhart on Jun 18, 2020, 09:52:12 AM
The Predator only got hit once in the leg and needed medical attention. Aliens don't need to self-medicate; they heal quickly.

It doesn't matter, though. Whether an Alien would do as well in Predator or a Predator as well in Aliens is so far removed from understanding how they'd fight each other it's not funny. None of this is relevant.

"The Predator only got hit once in the leg and needed medical attention."

It was smart enough to avoid getting hit much more.

"It doesn't matter, though. Whether an Alien would do as well in Predator or a Predator as well in Aliens is so far removed from understanding how they'd fight each other it's not funny. None of this is relevant."

That is true.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed