ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 398,744 times)

HuDaFuK

I never liked that idea to be honest. I prefer them genuinely not knowing about it by the time of Aliens.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 04, 2016, 09:45:26 AM
I think River of Pain puts across that W-Y's interest in the colony comes from their knowledge of the Derelict's signal.

Are the masterminds behind SO937 identified in these novels?  Either way, they might have influenced the ECA to establish a colony there and simply hoped that the derelict would be eventually rediscovered at some point.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 04, 2016, 09:49:25 AM
I never liked that idea to be honest. I prefer them genuinely not knowing about it by the time of Aliens.

Indeed.  This new EU sounds awfully contrived to me.  I wish the SMTM could have avoided referencing it.

SM

The science team was stationed at Hadley from around 2166.  The colony wasn't setup with any knowledge of the Derelict.

Corporal Hicks

Indeed. Just that something was there.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 05, 2016, 07:53:19 AM
Indeed. Just that something was there.

Well, as SM decreed...

Quote from: SM on Jul 04, 2016, 01:06:37 AM
There has to be something there worth mining, otherwise they wouldn't bother.

Ostensibly, that "something" was supposed to be potentially valuable mineral resources.  Just to keep it believable, I'd rule out any minerals that would be more abundant and easily obtained in our own solar system.

Then again, even if they knew for certain that the derelict was somewhere in the vicinity of Z2R, it's possible that the SO937 issuers didn't know exactly where the signal was coming from.  After all, it still took Lambert some time to pinpoint the source even after the Nostromo had already arrived.

Thus, even if the company knew what star system it was in and actually made a deliberate attempt to search for it, actually finding it would still be close to impossible without the beacon to home in on (or the grid reference that Ripley gave to Burke).

Doctor Ash

Now with the confirmation that the Bloemkamp Movie will happen in an alternate timeline, i wonder how much of the WYR will stay canon.

Local Trouble

I have finished reading this book and have decided that I would like to catch up on all the currently canon, SM-endorsed EU comics and novels.  May I have a list?

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 14, 2016, 04:33:15 AM
I have finished reading this book and have decided that I would like to catch up on all the currently canon, SM-endorsed EU comics and novels.  May I have a list?

Your best bet is to go pick up the Fire and Stone collected, over-sized hard-cover volume.  It has everything from that series in an awesome format.

SM

Stuff what WYR references:
Out Of The Shadows
River Of Pain
Fire & Stone comics
Alien Isolation

Stuff it doesn't reference but still counts:
Sea of Sorrows
Life & Death comics
Defiance comics

Local Trouble

Is there a novelization of Isolation or do I have to play the game?

SM

You could watch a Youtube walkthrough I suppose.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 14, 2016, 06:09:22 AM
Is there a novelization of Isolation or do I have to play the game?

Dark Horse released a 1-shot Alien-Isolation comic that came out for free just before the game release, if I remember correctly.  It can be found on eBay easily...

Corporal Hicks

It's a prequel though, not an adaptation. Damn good short though!

Nostromo

I still can't find it for under 40$ shipped to Canada...

Denton Smalls

QuoteStuff what WYR references:
Out Of The Shadows
River Of Pain
Fire & Stone comics
Alien Isolation

Wow so all this is officially canon now?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed