what do you guys make of this video?

Started by oduodu, Feb 27, 2023, 07:24:45 PM

Author
what do you guys make of this video? (Read 1,770 times)

SiL

SiL

I work in the industry.

BlueMarsalis79

Better video on the matter, TL;DR?

Late stage Capitalism blows.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 01, 2023, 10:29:05 AMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwtSdqr60a8

Basically. Studios don't want to spend $80 million to make $200 million, they want to spend $200 million to make $2 billion.

To do that you need bums in seats. Lots of them. So they don't take risks, they play it safe to a broad audience, and over time everyone just kind of gets bored with it all.

On the upside, people come along and fill the vacuum left by the lack of risky stories. On the downside, they're now all streaming, and with the proliferation of streaming services, piracy is on the rise.

Hollywood isn't doomed, but it will look very different in 10-20 years.

oduodu

Quote from: SiL on Mar 01, 2023, 10:27:44 AMI work in the industry.

you know and have contact with people in hollywood on a reasonably frequent basis? even though your down under? 

Mike’s Monsters

Not everyone who works in the industry lives in Hollywood. People live all over the world.

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: SiL on Mar 01, 2023, 10:33:45 AM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 01, 2023, 10:29:05 AMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwtSdqr60a8

Basically. Studios don't want to spend $80 million to make $200 million, they want to spend $200 million to make $2 billion.

To do that you need bums in seats. Lots of them. So they don't take risks, they play it safe to a broad audience, and over time everyone just kind of gets bored with it all.

On the upside, people come along and fill the vacuum left by the lack of risky stories. On the downside, they're now all streaming, and with the proliferation of streaming services, piracy is on the rise.

Hollywood isn't doomed, but it will look very different in 10-20 years.

i thought streaming was to prevent piracy.   

ok thats whats happening in the industry.   how will this affect the alien and predator franchises? was Prey an actual example of whats coming ?

the possibility exists then romulus might be the last alien movie made as we have been accustomed to seeing with large budgets and well known  directors.  might it be the last "big budget" film we ever see?

meaning that scotts movie arc is a goner. maybe Prey is the way to go for the alien franchise.

so i am really trying to figure out if the alien franchise and maybe the predator franchise are to become franchises that will have its best years behind it and never ever come close to being anything made in the past in the coming years.

so books and comics and games but not the big budget movies that will make many people turn towards and join it and cement another generation of fans.

Preys vote count and thread count just doesnt feel convey a feeling that that many people actually watched the movie and if they did according to the media hype they certainly dont know about this website. avpgalaxy.net used to have a wikipedia entry but for some strang reason i cannot find it anymore?

why? i wonder.

i hope the series gets made.

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Mar 01, 2023, 04:19:06 PMNot everyone who works in the industry lives in Hollywood. People live all over the world.

just trying to figure out what is going on in hollywood. as thats issue at hand for me since it directly impacts the future of the alien and predator franchises. and that will impact the what happens on this website.

as this video seems to suggest

america is soon not going to have us dollar as the reserve currency anymore . that usually means bad things on the horizon .

leading me to believe that who ever makes movies in america will have a hard time selling said movies.

at least internationally .

because its going to be massively expensive

SiL

SiL

You do know Alien Covenant was filmed in Australia and New Zealand, right?

People don't flock to the forum because they're not popular like they were 10-15 years ago. Today people prefer social media platforms - the AvPG FB page is plenty active.

Local Trouble

These days it seems like all movies are filmed in Australia or New Zealand and every actor is from there too.

PAS Spinelli

oduodu

Quote from: SiL on Mar 01, 2023, 06:36:01 PMYou do know Alien Covenant was filmed in Australia and New Zealand, right?

People don't flock to the forum because they're not popular like they were 10-15 years ago. Today people prefer social media platforms - the AvPG FB page is plenty active.

yes I know that.

but they buy everything with us dollars pay salaries that come from us dollars.

again i am to just trying to establish if the companies based in the us is in difficulties that will hqve a serious impact on what happens to the alien and predator franchises.

no matter where you shoot movies the exchange rate decides the buying power of currency. if the us dollar in no longer the reserve currency in the world then shooting movies abroad is going to be prohibitively expensive. as the exchange rate is no longer tied to the US Dollar itself.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: oduodu on Mar 01, 2023, 10:35:16 PMbut they buy everything with us dollars pay salaries that come from us dollars.
This isn't strictly how film financing works, no. The Aus government also provided funding in exchange for hiring local talent. Investors can be found all over the world, not just in the US, providing capital in various currencies.

Quoteagain i am to just trying to establish if the companies based in the us is in difficulties that will hqve a serious impact on what happens to the alien and predator franchises.
It's 20th Century Studios as owned by Disney. Those companies aren't going under any time soon.

Quoteif the us dollar in no longer the reserve currency in the world then shooting movies abroad is going to be prohibitively expensive. as the exchange rate is no longer tied to the US Dollar itself.
The USD being the reserve currency gives it some power, but that's a really overly simplistic view. The Great British Pound is more valuable, even despite all the shenanigans of Brexit.

oduodu

oduodu

thank you for your reply.

ok. then i hope that the alien predator franchise will be viable enough to continue new content being made especially movies in the next 10 years.

which means this website will remain active.

fwiw i effing hate facebook and twitter. you cant have a proper discussion on anything because people you have no idea where they are coming from in terms how serious they are about the subject matter at hand can share an opinion idea . its a complete mess. i understand the neccesity of it needing to part of this community. just that its impossable to have decent discussion on anything.

SiL

SiL

They'll keep going so long as they keep being profitable. And even then someone will always come along and propose cashing in on nostalgia given enough time.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed