AI/Robots

Started by ShadowPred, May 14, 2007, 04:15:32 PM

Author
AI/Robots (Read 39,449 times)

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Okay for those of you that are pissed off that people are still making robots, making them adapt to thier srroundings, and making them be able to predict what a human is thinking, and are pissed because in the near future humans will be enslaved by robots, here's something else to get you mad.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/11/skynet_takes_control/

gameoverman

gameoverman

Nothing pisses me off more than anti-technology zealots.  If you hate technology so much, then fine.  Go and live in a cave or something.  ::)

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

I'm not into anti-technology, but the fact that robots are getting smarter and then were are f-d once they figure out that they are slf aware like stphen hawking said, then it will be possible for them to maybe come against us, or not do anything but help us, i think that we are f'd, these guys who make these things like, my above post, i mean c'mon... SKYNET!

fluxcap

fluxcap

Thats hilarious, judgment day is probably in a couple of decades.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Here's another reason why we should be concerned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Shadow, there's a whole hell of a lot of things you should be concerned about before you get to the 'robots enslaving mankind' thing.  Trust me...it's kind of a ways off right now.

Oh, and no more watching The Terminator or The Matrix for you!

:)

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

It's just that the possibility of this is interests me a lot, i mean after watching the Terminator and The Matrix like you said and AniMatrix, you start thinking...A LOT.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Ain't nuthin' wrong with thinking about it.  Hell, I encourage you to.

Just your original post seemed a little alarmist...I was worried you might be taking the idea of a robo-revolution a little too much to heart.

Your microwave isn't planning to kill you.

...yet. ;)

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

i'm guessing my brothers fear got into that post.

gameoverman

gameoverman

Quote from: ShadowPred on May 14, 2007, 05:15:16 PM
I'm not into anti-technology, but the fact that robots are getting smarter and then were are f-d once they figure out that they are slf aware like stphen hawking said, then it will be possible for them to maybe come against us, or not do anything but help us, i think that we are f'd, these guys who make these things like, my above post, i mean c'mon... SKYNET!

Robots are getting smarter and so are we.  Eventually we will enhance ourselves and become our technology.  It is the next stage of evolution.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

That won't be enough because as i said they are already making robots to be able to adapt and predict things so we might enhance ourselves but we might still get our asses kicked.

Noir-Gojira

Noir-Gojira

Robots are getting smarter and so are we.

XD, I'm sorry but when I look around, I can't help but see people making the same type of mistakes their kind has made for centuries.  Don't get me wrong, there have been plenty of advancements and changes, but much of the human behavior remains the same as ever.  Chances are, the human race will probably eliminate itself in one way or another before some horde of crazed robots get the chance ^_^

gameoverman

gameoverman

Quote from: ShadowPred on May 15, 2007, 05:03:19 AM
That won't be enough because as i said they are already making robots to be able to adapt and predict things so we might enhance ourselves but we might still get our asses kicked.

Well yeah it is like when the web was introduced, the critics said that computer viruses would run amok and destroy all data.  But that didn't happen - we adapted by creating anti-virus programs.

It is wise to be precautious about new technology, though.  For example, there are ways to prevent hostile AIs (by giving them Asimov's 3 laws for example).

I just don't think you should throw the baby out with the bathwater, if you know what I mean.

gameoverman

gameoverman

Quote from: Noir-Gojira on May 15, 2007, 06:13:55 AM
Robots are getting smarter and so are we.

XD, I'm sorry but when I look around, I can't help but see people making the same type of mistakes their kind has made for centuries.  Don't get me wrong, there have been plenty of advancements and changes, but much of the human behavior remains the same as ever.  Chances are, the human race will probably eliminate itself in one way or another before some horde of crazed robots get the chance ^_^

I didn't really mean "smarter" but computers have helped us by making our lives easier and even running our lives better.  So now we have free time to other things.

So, we are kind of in a symbiosis with computers already.  If you shut down all the computers - the economy just stops.  We need computers to progress, otherwise we stagnate.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

I think Japan already gave the first robot law.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed