Why did Call think she was disgusting?

Started by gameoverman, Sep 16, 2008, 05:56:14 AM

Author
Why did Call think she was disgusting? (Read 5,062 times)

gameoverman

Time for a fun discussion I think.  In the future, an advanced droid has self-image issues.  This always confused me, as how awesome would it be to be an android?   :P

SM

SM

"Because I'm programmed to".

She probably feels like a slave - having enough free will to want to do things that her programming won't allow.  Her wound and white blood was a visual reminder of this.  Could also be related to her role in the deaths of the Xarem miners.

gameoverman

She hates herself yet wants to save humanity.   A schiz android.   :P

But, hey, that's why I like that character.

SM

SM

Well, again she's programmed to save humanity.  And judging from the people she hangs around with - and probably the people who ordered her recall (Call? ReCall?.. hmm.. nevermind) - she hates the conflict it raises.  And if she's third lawed she's powerless to even end her own existance.

Uncanny Antman

You'd have to doubt she has the third law, seeing as she doesn't seem to have the second.

SM

SM

Just guessing really.

When do you reckon she violates the second?

(Can't think of any off the top of my bonce, though I'm sure she must stretch it at the very least)

The Necronoir

It's only logical that an entity created with the sole intention of preserving human life would consequently have a very low opinion of its own, non-human existence. She's essentially been programmed to view humanity as the most valuable form of life.

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: SM on Sep 16, 2008, 07:34:20 AM
When do you reckon she violates the second?
I was mostly going off the whole backstory of the Autons.  They rebelled because, "They didn't like being told what to do."  ...Seems to indicate either a lack of 2nd law, or an extremely strong ability to ignore it.  To be able to basically say, "I don't care for your orders, so I'm out of here, bitches!" seems like they had more free will than the humans would have cared for.

SM

SM

They may have not like being told what to do by their creators - ie. other synthetics and therefore non-human.

Uncanny Antman

That's true, never really thought about that.

How 'bout something as simple as Johner demanding his knife back, then?  She certainly disobeys that one.  **Snap**

Eidotemit

She could have viewed that action as potentially endangering another human (given Johner's... personality), and thus decided she couldn't give the knife back.   :-\

Xhan

It seems rather unlikely that 2nds were lawed at all. She had seen Wren's personailty and still gave him the gun, and the whole Johner knife thing.

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

She could have developed the zeroth law, and been able to examine the "greater good" for humanity?

Xhan

Again, given Wren's overt nature, rather unlikely.

Eidotemit

But maybe...uh... well... yeah, f**k it. I've got nothin'.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed