Say something you LIKE about AVPR - Aliens vs Predator: Requiem.

Started by Voodoo Magic, Dec 09, 2018, 05:55:36 PM

Author
Say something you LIKE about AVPR - Aliens vs Predator: Requiem. (Read 105,640 times)

SiL

I find it interesting that we say composers are plagiarising themselves, while writers, directors and directors of photography who reuse almost identical elements to tell stories are given free pass.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Masked Wolf looks and moves superbly, especially in the EC crashed ship scene. Ian Whyte rocked the role. I've also warmed up to the face over the years a lil bit. While we're here, that entire scene was really enjoyable.

The Predalien isn't THAT bad a design, although they should've gone with the maquette version Steve Wang had sculpted, much better and more streamlined (no 'pectoral muscles' and the dreadlocks/mandibles flow much more nicely). In the film it looks great in certain shots. This of course keeping in mind that it's supposed to maintain aesthetic continuity with the 'stylized' AvP Alien designs.

Some of the 'big hits remix' score is real cool to listen to.

The power plant scene wasn't too bad.

The idea of the Predalien and the Predator dying locked in combat was pretty neat, like two deers or elephants (although the fight beforehand wasn't all that).

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: SM on Feb 23, 2019, 09:56:06 PM
Bit too strong a word considering he was making licensed product featuring Aliens and Predators.  You would expect music similar to those films and it does sound like a greatest hits package.   When Dallas shoots the Alien on the helipad for instance, the music sounds like it's lifted from Bishop's Countdown.  Oddly enough the only existing music cue mentioned in the credits was from Predator.

Unlike Jed Kurzel's work on Covenant, which uses Goldsmith's work, other cues recall stuff from Alien 3 or Resurrection without sounding lifted.

Tyler's work suits the film, but like the rest of movie it's taking stuff from better films and slapping it together.  The music is just a bit less superficial.

Which part of the score recalled Resurrection? I know Alien 3 is during Crudup's chestburster scene.

The Old One

The Old One

It's got little teeny bits of Aliens but Alien and Alien³ all over. Never picked up on anything resembling John Frizzell's Resurrection music.

Quote from: Omegamorph on Feb 24, 2019, 11:27:44 AM
The Predalien isn't THAT bad a design.

Yes it is.  :laugh: ;D
Agreed about Wolf's design and Ian Whyte's performance though.

SM

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Feb 24, 2019, 03:54:29 PM
Quote from: SM on Feb 23, 2019, 09:56:06 PM
Bit too strong a word considering he was making licensed product featuring Aliens and Predators.  You would expect music similar to those films and it does sound like a greatest hits package.   When Dallas shoots the Alien on the helipad for instance, the music sounds like it's lifted from Bishop's Countdown.  Oddly enough the only existing music cue mentioned in the credits was from Predator.

Unlike Jed Kurzel's work on Covenant, which uses Goldsmith's work, other cues recall stuff from Alien 3 or Resurrection without sounding lifted.

Tyler's work suits the film, but like the rest of movie it's taking stuff from better films and slapping it together.  The music is just a bit less superficial.

Which part of the score recalled Resurrection? I know Alien 3 is during Crudup's chestburster scene.

Cargo Lift.

The Old One

The Old One

Not hearing it at all.

SM

About 2:18 onwards there's a four note motif repeated.

It's similar to the start of Ripley's Theme.  Cargo Lift has an extra note and a faster tempo.

The Old One

The Old One

Oh yes, I can definitely see the comparison now.

Funny, the erratic nature of that motif actually reminded me more of Aliens.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: SM on Feb 24, 2019, 08:01:03 PM
About 2:18 onwards there's a four note motif repeated.

It's similar to the start of Ripley's Theme.  Cargo Lift has an extra note and a faster tempo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_o0nArWoCo

Ah! I love it. That is so cool. Thank you for pointing it out.

The Old One

The Old One

@Topic:

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed, love the weapons myself.

Corporal Hicks

I think the whip concept is pretty sweet. Especially that it's also supposed to be an Alien tail too. I also loved the pistol.

Space_Dementia

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 05, 2019, 09:13:40 AM
I think the whip concept is pretty sweet. Especially that it's also supposed to be an Alien tail too. I also loved the pistol.

Yeah same here, loved the whip and pistol.

There are a lot of cool things/aspects that I liked within both these movies, just unfortunately they were very disappointing. But like I said, there were aspects of them that I liked, the Wolf Predator being one, dug the design and background of this particular predator. I liked the claustrophobic atmosphere they tried to achieve with AVP by basing it mostly within a pyramid under the ice... both movies had some really cool and interesting ideas and concepts, but they just failed to deliver. AVP is not a terrible movie and far better than AVP:R... it just needed to be more...well more adult, more edgy, to allow what I think Anderson wanted to really create, which at the time I hoped would be Event Horizon but in the Alien universe.

[cancerblack]

It's really indefensible as an Alien movie.

BUT - i do like to sometimes chuck it on alongside a movie like Syngenor or the '88 The Blob, it's actually a lot of fun as part of a "bad 80's movie" night, the vibe fits perfectly.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed