Any way to import avp2 .abc models into a 3D modeling program?

Started by xTankbeast, Mar 14, 2016, 08:40:20 PM

Author
Any way to import avp2 .abc models into a 3D modeling program? (Read 15,629 times)

xTankbeast

I'd like to mess around with them in a 3D modeling software, preferably blender (although I doubt there's any import plugins for the lithtech model format). I have the really old 3DS max 8 too but there doesn't appear to be an .abc import option on that either. Anyone know of any other 3D programs I could import them into?

KingKenny

Quote from: xTankbeast on Mar 14, 2016, 08:40:20 PM
I'd like to mess around with them in a 3D modeling software, preferably blender (although I doubt there's any import plugins for the lithtech model format). I have the really old 3DS max 8 too but there doesn't appear to be an .abc import option on that either. Anyone know of any other 3D programs I could import them into?

AvP2 tools come with old 3ds/maya plugins. I think it was 3DS max 5 or 6 that worked.

There is also Milkshape 3D, but it messes up the bones if I remember correctly.

xTankbeast

Quote from: KingKenny on Mar 14, 2016, 10:36:57 PM

AvP2 tools come with old 3ds/maya plugins. I think it was 3DS max 5 or 6 that worked.

I just checked the tools folder. Unfortunately, there's no plugin for importing the models, just exporting them. Guess I'll try Milkshape 3D

x-M-x

Quote from: xTankbeast on Mar 14, 2016, 11:00:51 PM

I just checked the tools folder. Unfortunately, there's no plugin for importing the models, just exporting them. Guess I'll try Milkshape 3D

What you got planned?  ;D

xTankbeast

Quote from: x-M-x on Mar 15, 2016, 12:00:21 AM
Quote from: xTankbeast on Mar 14, 2016, 11:00:51 PM

What you got planned?  ;D
I mostly just wanted to see how they were modeled and unwrapped and stuff but in the future I might attempt to port some models I'm making to AVP2

windebieste

DONSAURS!  Must haz DONSAURS!!1!!!!

Always wanted to make a Predators of the Mesozoic mod for this game.   Replace Aliens with Dinosaurs.

Will need source code, modeller (static props and character) animator.

Then Preds can go ahuntin' Raptors, Allosaurs, Carnos, Rexes (theropods, basically)...  No plasmacasters or throwable or ranged weapons.  Just combisticks, wristblades (and maybe the netgun, just for the lols) and your stalkin' and huntin' skills.

Rex huntin' with just a combistick... Now who doesn't want that?

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

Ha. I could just imagine the poor dinos in that net.  :laugh:

PsyKore

I'd just love to see the game models updated (all of them) to higher-poly and steer away from the cartoony look. I'm unsure if the game engine could handle it very well, though.

Lucifero

Lucifero

the bones are the last thing that worries me :D
go minute 2.20 medic have fun  :o

where you can find these old versions?
They are free?

Quote from: PsyKore on Mar 16, 2016, 11:30:36 AM
I'd just love to see the game models updated (all of them) to higher-poly and steer away from the cartoony look. I'm unsure if the game engine could handle it very well, though.
yes a cartoony look !
certainly the old liltech has its limitations but tf2 or hl2 source no

I'd like to create one or more workshops for all AVP2 skins
but I would need one or more developers .

Le Celticant

Hey, in your tools Folder (installed with the AVP2 toolkit) you should be able to find some plugins made for 3DS Max (version 5 - 6) Alias (known as maya today) and Lightwave (being the best to work with since AVP2 was built using Lightwave).
You can import .abc into milkshape if you want but the model and rig will be inverted in the X axis, which somehow mess up the entire architecture (rigging, skinning, vertex) and there's no way to import it back into AVP2 from milkshape.

Quote from: PsyKore on Mar 16, 2016, 11:30:36 AM

Thought so, AJL attempted something but even on nowadays high end GPU, the problem seems to be the engine that is very very very un-forgiving for poly count.
Which is a shame, because you can run Crysis with 100 times the amount of polies and Physically Based Shadders smoothly.

It's better to just start again from a new engine.

--------------------------------

It's a funky / ironic thing they used a format called .abc (lithtech format) considering the .abc (alembic) files are with Autodesk .fbx the most versatile file that exists between softwares.
I wondered if they did give a s*it

--------------------------------

@Windebieste:
Dinos! And Xeno-Dinos! Can you imagine a T-Rex Xeno Queen!!

Canon_Barbarian

Doom 3 looks good with low-poly models.

Anyway, I have almost complete specification for AVP2 ABC model format. If someone wants to code import/export plugin for modern 3D modeling software, I can share this stuff  ;)

Lucifero

Lucifero

Quote from: TheCanonMaster on May 27, 2016, 05:39:43 PM

Anyway, I have almost complete specification for AVP2 ABC model format. If someone wants to code import/export plugin for modern 3D modeling software, I can share this stuff  ;)
it would be great CanonMaster!
is also possible to import a part of the original bone animations?

I know that the French at some point they are trying to do something like that, but when it came out avp3 have abandoned everything..

give a look to this file the avp2 predalien for source (nem's tools)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sb8ax8xu5ccttuq/245e7b836d56584df322d8205e8bfa78e8cc5c1d.zip?dl=0
It was designed for an older version of gmod (probably v 10) unfortunatly it is not compatible with the current one.
http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/
I'd like to create a small workshop on gmod to appreciate this old skin to all alien funs

Quote from: Le Celticant on May 27, 2016, 11:47:36 AM

@Windebieste:
Dinos! And Xeno-Dinos! Can you imagine a T-Rex Xeno Queen!!
well we talk always of xeno queen image an prehistoric alpha male xeno
same hp same speed

that instead of using its long tail as opposed to the female queen is able to climb & punce ,his weapons would claws and powerfull  jaws .
jaws able to regenerate hp on the contrary that of the female queen to regenerate it needs many multiple kills and is not able to feed itself  exception rare glich called "double queen"also note as queen rape :D when hp queen restoring completely after many series of killings
equal to n°# of queen molt.

a sort of xeno rex molt   ::)

Le Celticant

Quote from: TheCanonMaster on May 27, 2016, 05:39:43 PM

Isn't doom 3 already 3 - 5 time the poly amount of AVP2?
I mean, AVP2 is 800 at best, nowadays' game have about 20 000 - 30 000.
I'm pretty sure Doom was over 2000 already and it had shadding system, which is truly what AVP2 lacked.

If you have an exporter for Maya, I'd like to try it please, see if I can make something out of it ;)

xTankbeast

After seeing projects like OpenMW for morrowind, I wonder if it's possible to completely reverse engineer this game's engine. Although there may be something different with morrowind that allows them to do that.

Canon_Barbarian

Canon_Barbarian

x3 or x5 still low poly and still very "cubic"  :) My point, that you don't need high poly model for good look. Yes, we need shaders.

Feel the difference between specification and already complete plugin. Specification is detailed information about internal structure of format, which in right hands can be evolved into plugin or converter.

I don't have time, money and knowledge to create plugin for maya/3dsmax.

We don't have man-power for analyze and recreate the engine. Best thing we can do, as already said many times, adapt Jupiter engine.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed