Ah..AVP2...my first AVP game.

Started by Mkilbride, Jan 21, 2010, 06:48:52 PM

Author
Ah..AVP2...my first AVP game. (Read 6,569 times)

Brother

Brother

And another personal opinion, in AvP2 with proper rules and admins I find the Multiplayer more fun than AvP3.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

For me, a major aspect of AvP2 that falls flat is the Alien stealth mechanics. Specifically, the ones that don't exist. Massive Alien fanboy that I am, I hate to play the Alien without an element of stealth and consideration, and both AvP1 and AvP3 allow me to do that nicely.

AvP2 gives us a really comic-book inspired view of Alien abilities and behaviour that really rubs me the wrong way in comparison to the other games.

Brother

Brother

The noisy AvP3 alien doesn't help the stealth. Though the "smart" AI marines sure give you the feel like you are stalking them.

predxeno

predxeno

Is the disc in AVP 3 as cheap as the one in AVP 2?  It homes in on a target and the target can't escape unless it's an alien that pounes upward or out of the way.

Brother

Brother

You can escape the AvP2 disc with strafing if you see it coming in time, most of the AvP2 weapons need serious limitations just to try and balance them.

predxeno

predxeno

Oh, cool.  I never really faced the disc enough times to realize that.  I just heard someone say stuff about it and assumed it was really hard.  Is the spear weapon any different?  What about the Pulse Rifle, according to the manual it's more advanced than the original version in AVP 3.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Quote from: Brother on Apr 23, 2010, 03:50:38 PM
The noisy AvP3 alien doesn't help the stealth. Though the "smart" AI marines sure give you the feel like you are stalking them.

Massive fail on Rebellion's part when it comes to that, but the way the Alien blends into the shadows is still ace.

Brother

Brother

Well preds tend to spam it so yeah, it gets pretty bad. There is a spear gun - long range weapon, 1 shot kill if it's a head shot, and a combi stick which is a close range weapon and you can't throw it. It's probably the best pred weapon in the game.

The PR is one of the best marine weapons in AvP2 (yah it's 30 years advanced in AvP3). But it ha a nasty glitch - staggering.

It's never late to try AvP2 out.

predxeno

predxeno

The speargun's in AVP3?  It wasn't in the manual.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

AvP2.

'S a good weapon.

Corporal Hicks

AvP1 is far superior to 2 IMHO. Well the SP experience. It was so atmospheric and tense. The fact that I eventually memorized the spawn points in AvP2 really took the fear away.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

I'll take the opposite opinion.

I found that the AvP1 multiplayer was much better. Sure, Predators were bullshit, but the Marines and Aliens were fairly well balanced. And while the SP was really, really tense, the spawn locations of the Aliens didn't change that much - it was generally the difference between spawn location A and B. So one could memorise those, too. Plus, the plot of each campaign was really weak. The Predator campaign basically ended three levels in, with the last two/three missions just being "hunt some dudes, k?".

AvP2, on the other hand, had the most convincing AvP storyline ever imo. The environments had a great sense of codependance, too. Plus, having a section in both the Marine and Predator campaigns where you lose all your stuff was a great move. That game understood that raising the stakes sometimes means punishing the player, rather than upping the enemy.
The multiplayer balance left a lot to be desired. I certainly had heaps of fun times in AvP2's multiplayer, but between all the abusable Marine and Predator weapons, there was just too much shit going on for the experience to be consistent.

Brother

Brother

Played it so many times so I remembered the spawn points and also the number of aliens that come at you at the specific moment. Still, the music and the claustrophobic setting made the marine campaign very scary for me.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I'd like a game that had a variation of both scripted attacks and random spawning attackers to keep things interesting.

Lets say while your outside the base the aliens spawn randomly and hunt you.  Inside the base you set up bases with marines and then are overwhelmed in a scripted attack.  Afterwards even you could turn the random spawn back on.

Or somewhere two generations down in the gaming universe, have Preds and Aliens that could break in and eventually hunt you down in a secured facility on their own without need for anything other than initial spawn points.

But we are still to far away from that.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Not necessarily.

There could be a random spawning of Aliens that are scripted to break into the facility via one of X amount of random points, then partake of X stalking behaviour until battle is joined.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed