Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 183,425 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 07, 2018, 01:50:52 AM
Quote from: The Old One on Nov 07, 2018, 01:48:04 AM
"Lungs. Filled with fluid. Ergo, she drowned."

"The Lt. feels there still exists a possibility for a communicable infection."

...BURN THE CASTLE!

It would appear that the child drowned, though without the
proper laboratory tests its Impossible to be absolutely certain -
but I think it would be unwise to tolerate even the possibility
of an unwanted virus.  An outbreak of cholera would look extremely
bad on a report.

SM

"I don't think she was conscious."

The Old One

The Old One

Yet another reason I prefer the AC.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 07, 2018, 01:28:15 AM
I'm up for a third or fourth prequel.  Just not at the cost of a new sequel to Aliens.  Maybe Disney will have the cojones needed to do all films at once.

Keep in mind, Aliens had all the makings of an adult fairy tale.  Newt is a Disney princess in many ways.

Poor princess.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 07, 2018, 01:28:15 AM
I'm up for a third or fourth prequel.  Just not at the cost of a new sequel to Aliens.  Maybe Disney will have the cojones needed to do all films at once.

Maybe if they stop shovelling cash onto the dumpster fire that is Star Wars for a minute.
Knock the Star Wars exposure down a peg and develop other properties.

SM

They've made nearly $5b so far.

lol "dumpster fire"

Huggs

If you can get that kind of money out of that kind of narrative effort, heck yeah, I'd keep doing it too. Not that I wouldn't mind a few years away from big franchises like Marvel, Star Wars, Jurassic, Transformers, etc. Go in different directions like Annihilation, Wind River and All Is Lost. Invest in smaller scale with good talent and strong narrative.

Perfect-Organism

Well actually I'm counting on Disney taking that sort of Star Wars approach to the Aliens franchise.  Just get a good team to plot out a large swath of stories that make cohesive sense together and release them every year with no mercy.

There was a time when the stature of Aliens was very high.  The Aliens series was The Rolling Stones to Star Wars being the Beatles.  That stature can be regained.

SiL

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 07, 2018, 04:21:17 AM
Well actually I'm counting on Disney taking that sort of Star Wars approach to the Aliens franchise.  Just get a good team to plot out a large swath of stories that make cohesive sense together and release them every year with no mercy.
... that is absolutely not what Disney did with Star Wars.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: SM on Nov 07, 2018, 03:54:07 AM

lol "dumpster fire"

They would've made far more if the products weren't shit.
That being specifically the last two films and the majority of ancillary material.
Bad decisions like giving the videogame license to EA of all companies for ten years.

Immortan Jonesy

There was a time when the stature of Aliens was very high.  The Aliens series was The Rolling Stones to Star Wars being the Beatles.  That stature can be regained.

It sounds like David & Goliath to me. Are you sure you'r not talking about Star Trek instead? :P

SiL

Quote from: The Old One on Nov 07, 2018, 04:36:44 AM
That is ... hugely debatable.

SM

Quote from: The Old One on Nov 07, 2018, 04:36:44 AM
Quote from: SM on Nov 07, 2018, 03:54:07 AM

lol "dumpster fire"

That being specifically the last two films and the majority of ancillary material.
Bad decisions like giving the videogame license to EA of all companies for ten years.

:laugh:

SM

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: SiL on Nov 07, 2018, 04:36:35 AM
... that is absolutely not what Disney did with Star Wars.

Correct- it's what Marvel Studios did, with decades of established stories to draw from.
Starting in 2009- already having released Iron-Man as the kickoff with a singular good film the year prior.

As for SW:
The fact remains that the spin-off development has been a mess
and so has their license agreement with Electronic Arts.

Aside from Thrawn, Tarkin & Lost Stars the New EU hasn't proven it's existence worthwhile.
With sales trailing off many comic book stories that went no where. Or just outright bad books-
Such as Chuck Wendig's tie-in garbage.

& Many find TLJ repugnant.
For reasons other than the political.

Regardless, ultimately the point is that the good decisions;
that made the MCU what it is today did not come from Disney.
Nor did the bad decisions which have soured Star Wars longevity.
Only the investment.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed