A good film > faithfulness to the source material,
every time.

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Sep 02, 2019, 08:54:40 PM
A good film > faithfulness to the source material,
every time.

Agreed!

Some things just don't translate well for film (I mean that in a general statement). That being said, as fun as comics can be with their over the top concepts, I'd much rather have a dark and more grounded story. 

Huggs

Huggs

Yeah. When it's all said and done, this is a character who steals, murders and basically causes mayhem for fun.

If we want to see how someone would become like that in actual reality, it's going to take more than a bad hair day and misplacing their copy of Finding Nemo.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

"In actual reality" is why I find the film Maggie appealing. The whole zombies are dead people, who are dead but undead now, yet are still somehow hungry and not really dead-dead until their brain is punctured, then they're dead-dead has always been somewhat foolish to me.

Treating "the turn" realistically in Maggie like severe rabies that happens to you when you're still alive is much more intellectually satisfying.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: D88M on Sep 02, 2019, 12:14:40 AM
Quote from: Omegamorph on Sep 01, 2019, 11:55:47 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Sep 01, 2019, 12:02:05 AM
Behold, the power of Joaquin.
behold the power of a terrified studio actually resorting to make a competent film only in the wake of an absolute lack of proper organization and exploitation of a property
So, the movie sounds exactly like what i predicted long time ago: a decent, generic random drama about a guy turning insane that relies on brand recognition to get noticed and success, but has actually literally zero to do with anything Joker related

We still have to see it to be sure  ;)

"Yes, the film takes inspiration from the source material, and yes it specifically has scenes directly inspired by certain comic book stories and influences — the third chapter of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns provides inspiration for one scene fans will instantly recognize, for example. So, forget that ridiculous rumor."

https://twitter.com/markhughesfilms/status/1167848364479668224

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 02, 2019, 09:44:32 PM
Yeah. When it's all said and done, this is a character who steals, murders and basically causes mayhem for fun.

If we want to see how someone would become like that in actual reality, it's going to take more than a bad hair day and misplacing their copy of Finding Nemo.

Or falling into a bunch of chemicals... lolz

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 03, 2019, 12:14:23 AM
"In actual reality" is why I find the film Maggie appealing. The whole zombies are dead people, who are dead but undead now, yet are still somehow hungry and not really dead-dead until their brain is punctured, then they're dead-dead has always been somewhat foolish to me.

Treating "the turn" realistically in Maggie like severe rabies that happens to you when you're still alive is much more intellectually satisfying.

I haven't seen that one, but now I'm intrigued!

I definitely get that that thought process too, which is why I consider 28 Days Later to be one of my favorite zombie flicks (and also The Last of Us... I still love the Resident Evil series and Left 4 Dead to bits though).

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: PredBabe on Sep 03, 2019, 12:59:34 AM

If you do watch it I think it's best to go in knowing it's not a traditional zombie action film, but a family drama dealing with saying goodbye to a child that was bitten and will turn.

QuoteI definitely get that that thought process too, which is why I consider 28 Days Later to be one of my favorite zombie flicks (and also The Last of Us... I still love the Resident Evil series and Left 4 Dead to bits though).

Resident Evil game series or film series?

Yeah I do admit I have fun with most of those too.  :)

Russ

Russ

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 03, 2019, 02:33:01 AM

I'm a big fan of the Resident Evil movies ... I have no excuses for this.

Maggie is a superb film - it's a really melancholy piece I feel.

But -back on topic... looking forward to Joker... reviews are saying that it's pretty good!

PredBabe

PredBabe

If you do watch it I think it's best to go in knowing it's not a traditional zombie action film, but a family drama dealing with saying goodbye to a child that was bitten and will turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ5Vz8qE8R8

QuoteI definitely get that that thought process too, which is why I consider 28 Days Later to be one of my favorite zombie flicks (and also The Last of Us... I still love the Resident Evil series and Left 4 Dead to bits though).

Definitely the games!

The films are bad but really went to hell in a hand basket after the 3rd flick.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Yeah, I gave up watching them to be honest.

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ5Vz8qE8R8

Maggie is f**king excellent

Russ

Russ

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 04, 2019, 01:12:02 AM
Yeah, I gave up watching them to be honest.

But they're so much fun - I mean, they literally ignore their own continuity and setups and kind of make no apologies for it. I dunno - I'm a fan. They're just so gloriously over-the-top.

They're like the anti-Underworld (which I also love) to which they frequently get compared. Underworld takes itself and its mythos really seriously where as Resi is like it's Heavy Metal younger brother to Underworld's older sister goth sensibilities. Resi clearly just wants to get drunk and party.

And yes - Maggie rules.

But this thread is about Joker, god-damn-it!

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Variety"No, definitely not," he told Variety when asked if the pair would appear in a future film together. Although that doesn't mean "Joker" will be the last film to feature the DC super villain.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1171230079403331584

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

77 Reviews Counted - 77% on Rotten Tomatoes
21 Reviews Counted - 72 on Metascore

I'm really curious when the reviews go wide, where Joker will land.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed