Huggs

Behold, the power of Joaquin.

SM

SM

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 01, 2019, 12:02:05 AM
behold the power of a terrified studio actually resorting to make a competent film only in the wake of an absolute lack of proper organization and exploitation of a property

D88M

D88M

Quote from: Omegamorph on Sep 01, 2019, 11:55:47 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Sep 01, 2019, 12:02:05 AM
behold the power of a terrified studio actually resorting to make a competent film only in the wake of an absolute lack of proper organization and exploitation of a property

Not really, they are desperately throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks. If its actually competent is because a random coincidence and nothing else. They had a good if rushed plan at the start, it was when they wanted to do a 180 all of the sudden that they begin screwing everything up.

So, the movie sounds exactly like what i predicted long time ago: a decent, generic random drama about a guy turning insane that relies on brand recognition to get noticed and success, but has actually literally zero to do with anything Joker related and they just put that name and others in the movie because otherwise they would have never let the director make a movie like this nowadays and nobody would talk about the movie anyway. I doubt that beyond Phoenix performance there is much of value here, i pass seeing it on theaters.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Some of the negative reviews seem a bit scathing.

When the film and reviews go wide it might be one of those love it or hate it films with not many people found in between.

QuoteAs social commentary, Joker is pernicious garbage.
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/joker-movie-review-2019

QuotePhillips may want us to think he's giving us a movie all about the emptiness of our culture, but really, he's just offering a prime example of it.
https://time.com/5666055/venice-joker-review-joaquin-phoenix-not-funny/

Huggs

Huggs

The Ebert review lost me immediately with its opening diatribe against success and wealth.

Jango1201

Jango1201

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 02, 2019, 06:24:40 PM
The Ebert review lost me immediately with its opening diatribe against success and wealth.

He also can't write to save his life.

PredBabe

PredBabe

So ready for this movie.
I haven't read any of the comics so I really don't have much to comment in terms of the original source material. But I was definitely one of those who gushed over Ledger's Joker and I'm excited to see them go back to a more dark psychological version of the character. I get the concerns though of unveiling his origins (which ultimately might seem like a generic/too realistic story for such an iconic villain) and glorifying a psychopath.

Huggs

Huggs

I think it's only glorifying if someone views his actions as a positive thing. And anyone who would, likely would've anyway.

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 02, 2019, 08:31:45 PM
I think it's only glorifying if someone views his actions as a positive thing. And anyone who would, likely would've anyway.

Very true. I think most of us are only going to be rooting against the broken and corrupt society that created the monster more than anything else.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Judging by the reaction of the people that wrote those negative reviews the studio might have actually done things well this time.

Not really a fan of DC, Batman, super heroes in general, but I always thought the Joker was an interesting villain and as it was shown with Ledger's version even if you recreate the character with an alternative version it can still work. They seem to trying to put that type of effort into the character again, instead of the waste that he was on Suicide Squad. Heck I might be wrong and they might screw up the character, but I'm willing to risk my money and go watch on the theater, something that I haven't been willing to do with other series.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed