Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 287,966 times)

judge death

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 21, 2021, 07:10:55 PM
The one thing with the writing I really don't care for is the liberal use of "Xenomorph" as the creatures' actual name; even the recap blurb as the start of the issues refers to them as such.

Other than that though, I'm intrigued by the writing and where it is going.
So what name shall we use for them, seen like 4-5 different names for them through the years.

Corporal Hicks

Honestly, the moniker I've been most taken with since its introduction is XX121. I like the idea that all aliens are classified as Xenomorph, but with varying degrees of further classification.

Oh, and I loved the Genocide callback! Nice to see the Grant Corporation referenced here.

judge death

Prefer Internecivus raptus as anchorpointessays used, better than a random number and a proper name.

Nukiemorph

The violence feels a little sanitized and held back in this issue.
Spoiler
Issue 1 showed someone getting their head blown off with a big splash of blood and not much other gory detail. This seemed to make reviewers confident that the violence wouldn't be toned down.

Issue 2 seems to imply a terrified little girl's death, but I'm assuming she'll turn up alive. (I'm wondering if that's her on the cover of issue 3?)

But what bothers me is the end of issue 2. The alien pulls a guy's ribs out, but it's mostly in silhouette or obscured by the alien's hand... and the writer/artist clearly seem to know they're avoiding showing the gruesome details, because Cruz has to bluntly spell it out with: "It...ripped out his ribs." Every other character in the room just witnessed it. He shouldn't have to point out the obvious, but he does it for the audience who didn't get to simply see it for themselves.
[close]

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: judge death on Apr 21, 2021, 07:19:48 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 21, 2021, 07:10:55 PM
The one thing with the writing I really don't care for is the liberal use of "Xenomorph" as the creatures' actual name; even the recap blurb as the start of the issues refers to them as such.

Other than that though, I'm intrigued by the writing and where it is going.
So what name shall we use for them, seen like 4-5 different names for them through the years.

"Alien" works fine 🤷‍♂️

"Xenomorph" is fine too but that intro blurb reads as "a deadly alien species known as aliens..." 🙄 maybe I'm just too picky or I'm letting my pet peeves get the best of me, but I prefer it if the writers involved in the alien series actually know the definitions of the words they use like "xenomorph." That blurb made me lose a lot of faith in the writer(s) tbh I'm still keeping an open mind, but so far I haven't been too impressed...

Edit:
It's like when people say "ATM Machine"
... automated teller machine machine... but worse 🤦‍♂️ Lol

Nightmare Asylum

I'm cool with them just not having a proper name, and being given different names by different people in different situations. I'm cool with characters just saying "Alien," to be completely honest. "Snatcher," "X-Ray," and "Demon" all worked just fine for me in the recent novels as names that characters came up with to describe what they were seeing; in Aliens the term "Xenomorph" was nothing more than a catch-all umbrella term for the organism that the marines had not yet encountered, not a definitive species name like the media that followed seemed to make it out to be.

"Xenomorph-XX121" is better because at least that one is putting a descriptor at the end of the general term to give it some sort of actual identifying factor though it is also a bit of a mouthful for characters to be saying to one another.

Xiggz456

Really enjoyed this issue!

Spoiler
I didn't notice in the preview but Gabe has a long scar down his chest indicating that he survived a chest burster. Also I'm really intrigued by Gabe's flashbacks of the "Hadley Carrier" could that be an escaped ship from Hadley's Hope? The story takes place in 2200 so 20 years earlier would be 2180 so it's a possibility!
[close]

I'm certainly hooked on the narrative and look forward to next month's issue!

426Buddy

No thanks, I'll pass on this issue too.

Nightmare Asylum

https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-model-sci-fi-dropship/804365

Stock image 3D model with some extra bits added/removed, from the look of it. :-\

The_Nostromo_Files

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 21, 2021, 07:24:52 PM
Honestly, the moniker I've been most taken with since its introduction is XX121. I like the idea that all aliens are classified as Xenomorph, but with varying degrees of further classification.

Oh, and I loved the Genocide callback! Nice to see the Grant Corporation referenced here.
So how do you say it? "Ecks-ecks-one-twenty-one" ?

Corporal Hicks

One-two-one.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: TNF on Apr 22, 2021, 01:19:13 AM

So how do you say it? "Ecks-ecks-one-twenty-one" ?

"You hear about those one-two-ones that got loose?"

*edit*

Ninja'd

Nightmare Asylum

I didn't pick up on that initially, but that's pretty neat actually.

Also, thinking about the Alpha...

Spoiler
Given some comments made months ago Phillip Kennedy about the comic only really explicitly referencing Alien/Aliens, I wonder how valid it is to suspect that the Pathogen could potentially be at play in her creation (in in the creation of the various other critters, like the corpse of the dead dog thing that we saw in this issue)?

I know Johnson likes the prequels but he also seemed to want to not reference them too directly out of fear that they might be de-canonized (which seems kind of silly to me, but I digress). She seems to be the basis for WY's entire slate of plans here, whatever those plans may be.

I'd imagine that we'll likely have most of our answers on this topic by issue six, since that'll likely mark the end of this first arc (at least as far as trade paperback release goes).
[close]

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

I shrugged off the nomenclature shit at first, but I finally started reading Cold Forge, and seeing how much Alex White gets the naming situation makes this comic seem more like it was written by a casual fan.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 22, 2021, 12:34:09 AM
https://i.ibb.co/qj3Rk8z/Iorxo38-R-OK-o-Cazu9g-Uzd15-Epmu6b-Ovowt08-M4-YJ-y-Aed-MXRCKr-WPZa-YZ5c9-RN7j-Nw2ml-Lqcn-Mp-TAf-ROLb.jpg

https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-model-sci-fi-dropship/804365

Stock image 3D model with some extra bits added/removed, from the look of it. :-\

Honestly, if they paid for the model, I wouldn't really care... but I wouldn't bet money on them having done that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed