Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 286,255 times)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

While they may be toys, FOX did specifically step in and say "Nah, we're going to design the packaging" even after NECA offered to do it in-house like they usually do. I think that's pretty noteworthy. :)

Corporal Hicks

I preferred to just think of them as different ethnicities. And to be fair, the new Predators in Predators are not really the BSPs as described in the original script which is why don't mind them so much.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 19, 2013, 08:22:23 AM
I preferred to just think of them as different ethnicities. And to be fair, the new Predators in Predators are not really the BSPs as described in the original script which is why don't mind them so much.
I'm more with Rakai on this one. I personally do not consider them the same species but we do not have sufficient evidence one way or another. We have one film and a few descriptions on the backs of NECA figures.

Can you link the original script? OR paraphrase the BSP description please?

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

It seems we all missed some Aliens #1 pencils in the Bloody Disgusting article from which the Mignola AvP cover comes:

The image is titled "aliens#1_pencilspg20" when you hover over it. Interestingly, it clearly shows a black goo urn ala Prometheus. Couple this with the tagline "A Universe of Terror Drawn to One World," (as well as what I could make out from the Prometheus script page on Juan Ferreyra's Facebook page https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1476493_10151784125495143_1524571624_n.jpg) and I have to speculate that ALL of the upcoming series will be set on LV-223 in the immediate aftermath of Prometheus. To back this up, Scott Allie said in the interview (found at http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3268879/exclusive-interview-dark-horse-editor-in-chief-scott-allie-recaps-2013-reveals-publishing-plans-for-2014/) that the comics were pitched as "the idea of an interconnected set of books, Prometheus, Aliens, AVP, and Predator, that would follow in the wake of the first film, and put some more answers on the table." Thoughts?

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

A deacon/xeno banner image I found at http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2013/12/anniv-creators-weigh-in-on-2013-and-2014-part-3/, where Scott Allie said he's most excited about the new comics in 2014. He also said " We're at a stage with it right now where everything still seems possible, and we're creating a reading experience unlike anything else out there." The best thing about these comics? No Ripley descendants.

Just another tid-bit I found, dated December 31.

RakaiThwei

Well that's something of an interesting design!

Kind of mixed about it though.. Is it supposed to be a Xenomorph or a Deacon? It kind of looks like something in between though, and if that's the intent then there maybe something of a link between he Deacon and the Xenomorphs. But then again, didn't Ridley Scott say that the Deacon was not a Xenomorph but something else?

-Rakai'Thwei

Ultramorph

It could definitely go either way; though the pointed head makes me think we're looking at an adult Deacon. Maybe.  ;)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

It looks a bit too robotic to me. Almost like it should be sliver and have a chrome-like look to it.

I know people complain that the more recent Alien designs looked a bit too fleshy, but I feel like that one leans a bit too much on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Ultramorph

The tail does look a lot like something from a Dinobot action figure.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 05, 2014, 06:34:56 AM
Is it supposed to be a Xenomorph or a Deacon?

Deacon didn't have...

* A tail.
* Dorsal tubing.
* Exoskeleton.

Might be the result of a facehugged Deacon, however. Or even one which encountered the black ooze. There's room to say the Deacon was the equivalent of a chestburster and looks different at a later stage, but if we're following the precedent of 'Alien 3', then it should have at least had a tail to end up looking like that.

As for Predator types, I've got no problem with what 'Predators' set up. It left their origins ambiguous on purpose and the story, such as it was, didn't need to explain it. Whether or not they were a different species, the same one with genetic modifications, victims of a biological weapon or failed experiments which backlashed, didn't really matter.

For all we know, could even be a different gender of Predator than the one we usually see, too. A part of me would kind of dig that, just to spite the fan-boys obsessed with seeing Predators with breasts...

Ultramorph

Back on December 26, Juan Ferreyra (artist on the Prometheus comic) posted this picture on Twitter with the caption "Is this 'monkey' scary?" He didn't indicate what series (if any) the creature belongs to, and as he works on horror series like "Colder" and "Kiss Me Satan," it could belong to those; however, the overall design of the creature (especially its inner mouth that reminds me of the Trilobite from Prometheus) have me wondering if this is a Prometheus beastie. He did say somehting on Facebook along the lines that the comic would feature no xenos, but that "the black goo mutates everything." Any thoughts? I like the design, whatever it is.

He also posted some definitely labeled Prometheus stuff that's worth checking out, even if most is just human characters.

https://twitter.com/juaneferreyra/media

Except the NEWEST Prometheus stuff, which I think has part of a creature's tail snaking along the left-hand side.  ;D

RakaiThwei

Anything from Joshua Williamson?

-Rakai'Thwei

Ultramorph

No, not that I could see on a glance at his Twitter. Just the suspect lineup teaser.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 06, 2014, 08:36:22 AM
As for Predator types, I've got no problem with what 'Predators' set up. It left their origins ambiguous on purpose and the story, such as it was, didn't need to explain it. Whether or not they were a different species, the same one with genetic modifications, victims of a biological weapon or failed experiments which backlashed, didn't really matter.

I thought you didn't like PREDATORS. Unless I'm confusing you and DoomRulz.

I honestly didn't like the Super Predators. I thought they were completely unnecessary and they devalued what the original Predator was supposed to be, a nigh unstoppable creature from space which was a Grendel archetype of enemy. To me the Super Predator downgraded what the original concept was just so they could be sold as more dangerous than the original.

Also, what the Super Predators were.. depends on how you take things. Unless you count the July 2009 script which was the draft that the folks here got, then they were supposedly normal Predators who had altered themselves with the genetics of their prey to become what they are. But then that idea was tossed out and worked in favor of them for being a different species, and according to Rodriguez, they were sent on that planet as a form of punishment of sorts. Again, depends on what you take.

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 06, 2014, 08:36:22 AMFor all we know, could even be a different gender of Predator than the one we usually see, too. A part of me would kind of dig that, just to spite the fan-boys obsessed with seeing Predators with breasts...

Considering that the cast and crew, referred to Berserker as Mr. Black, not Mrs. Black or Ms. Black.. I'm pretty sure that these guys were one hundred percent male. And as for female Predators, we almost got one in the film-- Michael Broom even drew concept art for her and she only made it to concept art stage. And guess what, she had breast.

-Rakai'Thwei

Nightmare Asylum

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed