Prey Catch All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 22, 2021, 07:54:07 AM

Author
Prey Catch All Thread (Read 330,251 times)

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 28, 2022, 10:10:36 AM
Quote from: SiL on Aug 28, 2022, 09:53:23 AMAnd then he gets impaled by his own spear by something he didn't take seriously in a completely preventable situation.

Isn't that whole thing about Predators - they underestimate their prey and that's what gets 'em killed ?
Yes

Highland

Highland

Quote from: SiL on Aug 28, 2022, 10:07:01 AM
Quote from: Highland on Aug 28, 2022, 10:05:31 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Aug 28, 2022, 10:01:00 AM
Quote from: Highland on Aug 28, 2022, 09:57:40 AMThe thing is a sadistic serial killer that collects skull trophy's on safari and rips out spines.

The irony of folk trying to say "the predator has no code of honour!" For years appears to have now done a 180 and is coming back the other way  :laugh:

Honestly I don't believe they have much honor. That's a comic book thing.
Jungle hunter laughed at Dutch using his fallen comrades voice before setting off a nuke; seems pretty disrespectful to me, not honorable.

No neither do I. I just find it slightly amusing that folk want the predator to act in a certain way , when it's been clear from the start that these things get over confident then die.

That is literally Predator in a nutshell. A creature that underestimates it's opponent.

I seem to remember pussy face taking on a whole train of armed passengers front on like he was king dick ( for no reason to boot) !

City Hunter was after Harrigan's close contacts, they say as much in the film. He has Harrigan singled out as a prize and was torturing him.

It doesn't hunt him though. It walks into the Disco and shouts let's rock.

For what it's worth I understand why people want the predator to do a bit more sneaking, but I think in this scenario it could possibly have made less sense. I'd need a reason that it's taking out opponents one by one.

It does sniff the hunters traps ( kills all the horsemen), but then the trapper scene is just another copy of the jungle trapper scene, played out slightly differently.

I dig it. It's the best bit imo.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SiL on Aug 28, 2022, 09:53:23 AMAnd then he gets impaled by his own spear by something he didn't take seriously in a completely preventable situation.

Isn't that whole thing about Predators - they underestimate their prey and that's what gets 'em killed ?
Except this happens half way through the movie and he learns nothing from it.

If that's how he died it would be fine.

Quote from: Highland on Aug 28, 2022, 10:11:51 AMIt doesn't hunt him though. It walks into the Disco and shouts let's rock.

It taunts him the whole movie. It doesn't just gut him the 3 or 4 times it has the chance. It's savouring that kill.

Predators like controlling the situation. Normally.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: SiL on Aug 28, 2022, 10:13:32 AM

Quote from: Highland on Aug 28, 2022, 10:11:51 AMIt doesn't hunt him though. It walks into the Disco and shouts let's rock.

It taunts him the whole movie. It doesn't just gut him the 3 or 4 times it has the chance. It's savouring that kill.

No I was taking about when it's going after Jerry. There's no hunting there. It just walks right through a train of armed civilians full view.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

We would have been having this talk even if the movie was perfect, people already hated and nitpicked it before we even got the final plot and actual title

Quote from: Highland on Aug 28, 2022, 10:16:44 AM

No I was taking about when it's going after Jerry. There's no hunting there. It just walks right through a train of armed civilians full view.
Sorry, but I'm nostalgic for that movie, therefore that is a well written predator  ;D

Kradan

Kradan

Fair enough

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Highland on Aug 28, 2022, 10:16:44 AM

Funnily enough, not my favourite part of the movie. :laugh:

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 28, 2022, 10:16:54 AMWe would have been having this talk even if the movie was perfect, people already hated and nitpicked it before we even got the final plot and actual title
I had someone on this forum make obscene comments about my infant son because I was defending the movie before it came out.

I'm not mindlessly hating anything. I watched a movie, I have some thoughts. That's it.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

The comment is not towards you specifically, it can apply to many people both in and outside this forum

SiL

SiL

Then why the snark in the rest of your post?

If you want to talk about problems with Predator 2 I got plenty.

Kradan

Kradan

I enjoyed the hell out of Feral slicing and dicing some French settlers but I also understand where SiL's coming from with Jason comparision

SiL

SiL

I thought the scene was really well done and a great bit of carnage.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

But yeah I don't see how Feral is badly written, specially when the second Predator we ever saw did dumber and more reckless shit than this one by a mile.
 Feral fell into a trap, CH jumped into a crowd of people multiple (4?) times, leaving multiple witnesses too, that also not mentioning how he leaves his tech around, why didn't he pick his mask back up, or his spear??

Quote from: SiL on Aug 28, 2022, 10:23:46 AMThen why the snark in the rest of your post?

Because you said that Feral doesn't feel like a Predator for you and is badly written, yet if we go back as far as P2 we'll see he isn't that different at all

SiL

SiL

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 28, 2022, 10:25:12 AMBut yeah I don't see how Feral is badly written, specially when the second Predator we ever saw did dumber and more reckless shit than this one by a mile.
 Feral fell into a trap, CH jumped into a crowd of people multiple 4 times, leaving multiple witnesses too, that also not mentioning how he leaves his tech around, why didn't he pick his mask back up, or his spear??

Quote from: SiL on Aug 28, 2022, 10:23:46 AMThen why the snark in the rest of your post?

Because you said that Feral doesn't feel like a Predator for you and is badly written, yet if we go back as far as P2 we'll see he isn't that different at all
The main difference is City Hunter knows human prey and ambushes then, not the other way around. He stalks in undetected, attacks with surprise, and clears out. Even when the humans try to trap him, they fail - until Harrigan blindsides him by blowing up a wall and shooting him 9 times with a shotgun.

Which is why he leaves his shit around. He gets shot half to hell and has to leave.

It's very different to Jungle Hunter, but still showing a hunter that tries to give itself every advantage and control every situation for maximum success. That's a key thing Feral lacks for me.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

City Hunter had prior experience or at least knowledge about humans, Feral didn't.
 CH also had more than enough time to pickup his mask off the floor to then chase after Harrigan, he didn't, and this still doesn't address how he exposes himself multiple times and leaves gear around more than once, like the spear darts after he kills the voodoo squad

Kradan

Kradan

I mean, Jungle Hunter got himself caught in that net. Didn't slow him down much but still

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed