Weaver and Blomkamp on Alien 5

Started by shakermakerman, Feb 26, 2015, 09:12:49 PM

Author
Weaver and Blomkamp on Alien 5 (Read 63,036 times)

FiorinaFury161

Glad to know that Alien3 (and I guess Res) will not be undone.

Adam802

Adam802

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Feb 27, 2015, 02:19:55 AM
Glad to know that Alien3 (and I guess Res) will not be undone.

just ignored/disregarded.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Adam802 on Feb 27, 2015, 02:23:18 AM

Like how PREDATORS ignored Predator 2 to AvP-R.

Adam802

Adam802

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 27, 2015, 02:25:25 AM

bingo

Snowdog

Snowdog

Quote from: Adam802 on Feb 27, 2015, 02:26:20 AM

bingo

Yeah but with predators they didnt use any of the old characters and/or revived dead characters. So this is nothing like Predators. Blomkamp is just being political so he wont offend the hardcore fans etc. If he makes a direct sequel to aliens with hicks. There is no other way that ignoring/disregarding alien3/alien:res. So either way it's like they never happened. Which i hate.....

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 26, 2015, 11:24:53 PM
Dumping A3 and A:R for this mountain of derivative dung settles the score.

We literally have zero information on the story. Praising or criticising it in a complete absence of knowledge is premature, IMO.

"Derivitive dung"? Maybe - but also maybe not. We don't even know if the concept art is meant to be showing the same derelict we all know about or a completely different one.

Bottom line: We don't know if any of the other films will be affected.

Nightmare Asylum

bingo

I'd say this is a bit different than that. In ignoring Predator 2 Predators didn't (and couldn't really) turn over any stones in regards to Predator 2. Sure, they didn't reference it, but they didn't outright contradict it either. How could they? It was pretty much a standalone story with new characters and no overall bearing on the narrative (because there really isn't a narrative linking on Predator film to the next).

With Alien, on the other hand, even if they aren't seeking out to purge Alien 3 from canon, having Ripley (a core character in all of the films and a heavy player in the story) appear post-Aliens in any way is going to overwrite Alien 3 simply by showing events that could never have happened in the timeline that Alien 3 exists in.

Adam802

Adam802

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 27, 2015, 02:33:34 AM

bingo

I'd say this is a bit different than that. In ignoring Predator 2 Predators didn't (and couldn't really) turn over any stones in regards to Predator 2. Sure, they didn't reference it, but they didn't outright contradict it either. How could they? It was pretty much a standalone story with new characters and no overall bearing on the narrative (because there really isn't a narrative linking on Predator film to the next).

With Alien, on the other hand, even if they aren't seeking out to purge Alien 3 from canon, having Ripley (a core character in all of the films and a heavy player in the story) appear post-Aliens in any way is going to overwrite Alien 3 simply by showing events that could never have happened in the timeline that Alien 3 exists in.

Hence the alternate/split timeline suggestion. 

predxeno

predxeno

I don't think they're decanonizing anything, they're most likely just forming different timelines.

Adam802

Adam802

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 27, 2015, 02:46:37 AM
I don't think they're decanonizing anything, they're most likely just forming different timelines.

Its kinda the same thing really, except by saying its an "alternate timeline" they can avoid angering some fans of A3/A:R.  I'm happy with it either way as long as we can continue from ALIENS.   I'm going to decide on my own "personal canon" no matter what anyway.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Then you could apply the same logic to PREDATORS and the AvP films, because there were some small things which were referenced or even borrowed from the AVPs as well. The whole movie didn't even really so much as negate the AvP movies as far as the Predator side of things are concerned, those could still happen and fit.. assuming Shane's movie doesn't hamper all five (AVPs and PREDATORS being accounted for) movies. Personally, I don't like the idea of PREDATORS and AVP mixing but my point was in regards to your first half of your previous post.

So it's all or nothing, there is no in between. I find this very hard to believe. It's black and white, no shades of gray (not a reference to that shitty book or movie). It's either canon or not. There is no middle ground. I find this outlook very bleak.. and I disagree with it. Hence why I suggest this could potentially be an alternate timeline or render Alien 3 and Resurrection as an alternate timeline. Again, I point out to what Godzilla Returns (Godzilla 1985) did for the Godzilla series, it was a direct sequel to the 1954 original, ignored the Showa era films but they didn't negate them from canon. It just rendered them an alternate timeline/continuity. Why can't the same be applied or said for the Alien franchise?

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: Adam802 on Feb 27, 2015, 02:48:37 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Feb 27, 2015, 02:46:37 AM

Its kinda the same thing really, except by saying its an "alternate timeline" they can avoid angering some fans of A3/A:R.  I'm happy with it either way as long as we can continue from ALIENS.   I'm going to decide on my own "personal canon" no matter what anyway.

I think that only applies if people want it to apply that way; I'm a MAJOR supporter of canon and continuity, but I don't see the possibility of a diverging timeline as a threat to my view of it.

Adam802

Adam802

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 27, 2015, 02:49:08 AM
It just rendered them an alternate timeline/continuity. Why can't the same be applied or said for the Alien franchise?

By its own nature, setting the movie after ALIENS with Ripley/Hicks/etc alive inherently makes it an alternate timeline.  Whether some people consider it a "retcon" or not really just depends on which timeline you prefer I suppose.  I really dont think you need FOX to "officially" state one way or the other in order to form your own personal canon/continuity.  Just by ignoring A3/A:R its already a split timeline. 

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 27, 2015, 02:52:09 AM
I think that only applies if people want it to apply that way; I'm a MAJOR supporter of canon and continuity, but I don't see the possibility of a diverging timeline as a threat to my view of it.

Assuming this new movie is a new diverting timeline.. which will incorporate Prometheus into it, then what's the problem? Why does the fandom feel so threatened that there potentially could be more than one timeline?

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 27, 2015, 02:55:57 AM
Assuming this new movie is a new diverting timeline.. which will incorporate Prometheus into it, then what's the problem? Why does the fandom feel so threatened that there potentially could be more than one timeline?

Nobody feels threatened by it.

It jus doesn't actually mean anything.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed