Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 300,535 times)

Jarac

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 06, 2015, 05:26:40 PM
It'll be very fun to go back and look at all these threads in a couple years, once the film has come out and whatever will be will be. I remember the pages upon pages of speculation and arguments over Prometheus in the lead up, and we were all so sure of our positions. It'll be great to have certain things verified and other preconceptions utterly smashed once again, hopefully though, the things being smashed will be any of those feelings that make us feel apprehension towards where this project is going at this point.

I also really don't agree that a retcon is a lazy writing choice at all. It's a brave choice with a lot of risk behind it. It can be executed in a lazy fashion, absolutely, but the idea behind a retcon is in and of itself not lazy.

I agree with all of this. A retcon isn't lazy, it's about what you do with it. Blomkamp made it harder on himself because he has to make a movie that is better than the last two movies. He has to live up to the standards of the movies he idolizes (Qlien and Aliens). He's put a lot of press on himself. This is an iconic franchise that's loved and hss long since abused and most of uts fans are jaded by it.

He has a lot to live up to.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Mar 06, 2015, 08:42:16 PM
Blomkamp IS lazy for doing a retcon. There is NO way around it.
God yes there is.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Omegazilla on Mar 06, 2015, 08:44:12 PM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Mar 06, 2015, 08:42:16 PM
Blomkamp IS lazy for doing a retcon. There is NO way around it.
God yes there is.

God yes there is no way around it indeed.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

No, that's just you thinking that way.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Omegazilla on Mar 06, 2015, 08:49:15 PM
No, that's just you thinking that way.

Not really. Not at all.

But I guess if I was an ALIENS fanboy I would find Blomkamp's approach on this movie extremely valid. Ends justify the means, or something like that...

Crazy Rich

I have my cynical concerns but at the same time it's not in any way being lazy, if anything it creates more opportunity and flexibility.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Mar 06, 2015, 08:53:43 PM
I have my cynical concerns but at the same time it's not in any way being lazy, if anything it creates more opportunity and flexibility.

By being lazy and fanboyish.

There are so many options here if you step outside the boundaries of ALIENS. Bringing back Hicks is not necessary to make a sequel, neither is Ripley. It's like ALIENS is the Ten Commandments, Cameron is God, and Ripley & Hicks are Jesus & Holy Ghost...

OmegaZilla

predxeno

Ridley Scott retconned AVP, if AVP fans can get over that then I'm sure you guys can more or less do the same.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 06, 2015, 09:22:43 PM
Ridley Scott retconned AVP, if AVP fans can get over that then I'm sure you guys can more or less do the same.

I liked Prometheus when it first came out but it's just.. so f**king pretentious.

I'll take Charles Bishop Weyland over that prick Peter anyday.

SiL

Quote from: Omegazilla on Mar 06, 2015, 08:44:12 PM
God yes there is.
If he's retconning it then yeah, he's being lazy. "I don't like what they did so I'm going back to when everything was just the way we wanted it!" It's cheap, it's lazy, it's a cop-out, etc.

This movie is sounding like A:CM, but with a director people like, so they're ignoring all the ways it sounds like f**king A:CM.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: SiL on Mar 06, 2015, 09:26:43 PM
If he's retconning it then yeah, he's being lazy.
Or he's using the creative freedom he rightfully has as a director. It's not "lazyness" -- it's bringing a vision to life.

SiL

Right. He's using his creative freedom to be lazy. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 06, 2015, 09:22:43 PM

No he didn't.

You see, there are four franchises going on here: Alien, Prometheus, Predator and AVP. Although related by proxy (and Easter eggs), these franchises are at best crossovers. AVP movies don't dictate Alien movies and Alien movies don't dictate AVP movies. Same goes with Predator and Prometheus. The latter however is in a grey zone area that I personally don't know how to relate too. If it wasn't for Scott being the director I would consider PROM it's own thing or maybe a spin-off.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed