Why did the movies fail?

Started by TheGreatSpoondini, May 09, 2018, 11:24:41 AM

Author
Why did the movies fail? (Read 16,887 times)

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

And he used his plasma caster in that fight as well. Mr. Black doesn't contradict what he is supposed to be unlike Wolf. We know the berserker predators are cheaters and thus don't engage in fair fights, except that one moment with Hanzo, so we are getting what we are expecting there.

Bloodee Jacob

Bloodee Jacob

I'm "sorry" for liking the movie at all and loving the character the way I do! lol Sorry it didn't work for you guys the same way. He's the best Predator on film we've seen in extensive action no matter the millions of nitpicks you have with the rest of the film. It is what it is and again it's unfortunate that I just enjoy something...I guess? lol

Also side note I liked the Fugitive pred too just ashame he was taken out of the movie so early. There wasn't much of The Predator 2018 I could take that seriously or get immersed in but for AVP and AVPR I did for one reason or another.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Bloodee Jacob on Sep 20, 2018, 08:03:00 AMI'm "sorry" for liking the movie at all and loving the character the way I do! lol Sorry it didn't work for you guys the same way. He's the best Predator on film we've seen in extensive action no matter the millions of nitpicks you have with the rest of the film.

You're perfectly entitled to enjoy the film.

Like I said, I just find it weird when people try to claim Wolf is so hardcore, because he isn't. He might as well be fighting training dummies for all the resistance the idiot Aliens put up. What's badass about that? I mean, come on, the thing that does the most damage to him throughout the entire movie is a bit of metal he falls on lol.

Compare him to the Predator from the second film, who repeatedly wades right into the middle of big groups of armed men with only his blades and spear as weapons, and there's no contest.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Not too mention he just couldn't get the job done either, he misses a lot with plasma casters and is actually responsible for a lot of bad things that happen. Earlier in the movie, the Aliens were confined or at the very least were content to stay in the sewers for the time being, until Wolf came along and released them into the public and caused an infestation, the black out tipped the odds against the humans even further.

Wolf created more mess than he cleaned.

Bloodee Jacob

Bloodee Jacob

I'm sure the Predalien was planning on giving them an opening at a certain time anyway. And again I'm not completely denying some of these points. The writing in this movie obviously wasn't the best I would have handled it differently myself from scene to scene myself. However for me there were enough moments with him that just hit my geekspot I guess that's caused me to overlook it in the end and just enjoy that I got a Predator like this no matter how imperfect the movie he is in may be.

SiL

SiL

But the Predator you got was a useless blow hard ???

Bloodee Jacob

Bloodee Jacob

Lol "Useless" right. Anyway we could go in circles about this forever.

SiL

SiL

Yeah, useless. He has one job and never gets close to doing it properly.

Bloodee Jacob

Bloodee Jacob

Yes the elite veteran with a substantial amount of markings on his mask, visible old physical damage who has been through, survived more and is older than any Predator we've actually seen in action on film was COMPLTELY useless clearly and it wasn't just because of writing flaws....

I just don't get how as a fan you can't garner even a little enjoyment out of any moment with him.

SM

SM

Because he transcends the usual arrogance and hubris of Predators and is simply incompetent.

As has been pointed out ad nauseum - he's there to clean up.  He destroys the downed ship and the dead huggers and bodies of Buddy and Sam which is a good start; then he not only kills a cop but strings him up.  So now the police who thought they were just searching for missing persons are now on full alert searching for a potential serial killer.  His plan in the sewers was fairly sound in theory - though perhaps he was better off on the other side of those laser things.  That plan goes awry, then he destroys the power plant 'cos he can't shoot straight - giving the Aliens an even greater advantage.

By the time he gets to the hospital the infestation is out of control and would've been a good opportunity to just nuke the place.

Which he didn't do.

I will grant you that shooting the two dudes with twin shoulder guns was kinda cool.  But a couple of dead stoners whose threat level was close to zero doesn't make him a badass.

Bloodee Jacob

Bloodee Jacob

One could argue his Plasma Caster was damaged or malfunctioning a bit already hence what happened at the power plant and why he made it into a pistol, damage done a few times. Everything else you keep pointing to is a flaw of the writing which I recognize. However I just REALLY enjoy and even love what we did get to see of him properly which I think is more than you'll ever give credit for or at least for me as a fan personally it made me happy.

SM

SM

No one is trying to deprive you of your enjoyment, or denigrate you for enjoying it - it's just there's very little to give credit to.  As an entirely fictional creation Wolf IS how he is written, and if he's written badly, he's not a good character.  It's not like this was based on a true story and he was misrepresented.

Firing wildly into vital infrastructure makes him look as dumb as the dude who blew a hole in his ship at the start.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Bloodee Jacob on Sep 21, 2018, 03:56:07 AMI just don't get how as a fan you can't garner even a little enjoyment out of any moment with him.

Because as I've said several times, it's like watching someone wail on training dummies, and that's neither cool nor interesting.

Coupled with the fact he's in a film that I literally can't bear to watch.

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

It's the kind of cool some seem to enjoy, but like many I think it detracts of the actual role he was supposed to play. Things might have been worse than he anticipated, but then stuff needed to be written differently.

They went for classic small town horror and ended up with a rather cheap looking and feeling so so sequel.

I like Wolf, but I think he didn't get the film he needed.

Master

Master

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 20, 2018, 08:17:23 AM
Quote from: Bloodee Jacob on Sep 20, 2018, 08:03:00 AMI'm "sorry" for liking the movie at all and loving the character the way I do! lol Sorry it didn't work for you guys the same way. He's the best Predator on film we've seen in extensive action no matter the millions of nitpicks you have with the rest of the film.

You're perfectly entitled to enjoy the film.

Like I said, I just find it weird when people try to claim Wolf is so hardcore, because he isn't. He might as well be fighting training dummies for all the resistance the idiot Aliens put up. What's badass about that? I mean, come on, the thing that does the most damage to him throughout the entire movie is a bit of metal he falls on lol.

Compare him to the Predator from the second film, who repeatedly wades right into the middle of big groups of armed men with only his blades and spear as weapons, and there's no contest.

There are two things in common between Pussyface and Wolf. Both are predators and both tend to drop their stuff around. But when it comes to skills, Pussy would grind Wolf into pavement.

Super Predators are harder to compare. They are more of poachers then hunters. They don`t play by the rules, except maybe Birdface,but when he did it ended in draw.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed