Curious facts about yourself

Started by OmegaZilla, Oct 27, 2010, 01:42:59 PM

Author
Curious facts about yourself (Read 435,408 times)

Blackdawn

Blackdawn

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Oct 17, 2023, 01:42:49 PMAs I come to the final stretch of my PhD write-up year, despite having always been seen as 'confident ' and 'outgoing' my whole life by others, I realised after a long (several hour) conversation with my supervisor that I am in fact experiencing a bad, bad case of imposter syndrome... and I have no idea how to get out of this mindset. I feel like I'm just role-playing the character of a scientist, but in reality feel clueless. 😅

Being clueless is me at work.

Management for nearly 22 years myself and have so many look up to me and ask me questions. When reality is - I have no idea what I'm doing. I literally just wing it. One moment I had management higher up ask me a question they didn't know, so I answered.

I was asked, "Are you sure?"

At that moment, I told myself, Ah, duck it. And told management I had no clue what I was doing and that I was just guessing.

Management was jaw-dropped.

My guess was right. I hate being right.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: Blackdawn on Oct 17, 2023, 02:01:03 PM
Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Oct 17, 2023, 01:42:49 PMAs I come to the final stretch of my PhD write-up year, despite having always been seen as 'confident ' and 'outgoing' my whole life by others, I realised after a long (several hour) conversation with my supervisor that I am in fact experiencing a bad, bad case of imposter syndrome... and I have no idea how to get out of this mindset. I feel like I'm just role-playing the character of a scientist, but in reality feel clueless. 😅

Being clueless is me at work.

Management for nearly 22 years myself and have so many look up to me and ask me questions. When reality is - I have no idea what I'm doing. I literally just wing it. One moment I had management higher up ask me a question they didn't know, so I answered.

I was asked, "Are you sure?"

At that moment, I told myself, Ah, duck it. And told management I had no clue what I was doing and that I was just guessing.

Management was jaw-dropped.

My guess was right. I hate being right.

I can 100% relate to this - prior to going back into education as a mature student, I spent 12 years in retail (not as a manager, granted) working customer service desk/ kiosk/ checkout runner... I knew the job inside out and being on the desk, similar situation to yourself, everyone including management would come to me for answers...and 9 times out of 10, if I didn't know the answer, I'd make up a "policy" on the spot, and people would happily accept it... but I felt confident enough to do that and it always worked out... but here at Uni? I'm surrounded by people half my age, coming fresh from education who all speak in terminology like it's second nature and I'm sitting nodding and smiling and have no idea what anyone is saying 🤣 I'm also super conscious of my accent (being a North East lad) and try to mask it (badly) on fear of sounding "stupid" in a room full of "university accents" 😬 In any job I've ever had I've always worked my way from bottom to supervisory level and felt completely in control... 8 years at Uni and my confidence has never been so low, no matter how many good results we get, high profile papers on the way - even secured an international patent from my research... but i still feel like I'm just "winging it" and at any moment I'm going to be faced with an interrogation of knowledge and exposed..😅

Blackdawn

Blackdawn

Granted I had a poor comparison right there. Not everyone is meant for full and proper terminology and there's nothing wrong with that. We'd all be boring if everyone was the same.

That doesn't mean you're no less than they are. You're just more laid back in your profession.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Blackdawn on Oct 17, 2023, 06:53:25 AMMy bones don't break.

Not saying I'm invincible but I'm a 40-year-old woman and never had any broken bones after getting my head kicked in by a horse, hit by a truck, fell off a 10+ foot drop and landed head first on cement.

I've had x-rays and Cat Scans and multiple times have been told by doctors that it's physically impossible for me to not have any broken bones. I've even gone back in for them expecting my bones to separate after a few days and it never happened.

Best guess I can do is I've always been insanely active since I could walk from; ice skating, skate boarding, roller skating, swimming, baseball, basketball, volleyball, bicycling, horseback riding, walking and always being busy working. That's as a child. Then I've never missed a meal in my life and consume tons of protein.

So I'm assuming that may have contributed.

Amazing! 👏😊

Blackdawn

Blackdawn

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Oct 17, 2023, 07:13:54 PM
Quote from: Blackdawn on Oct 17, 2023, 06:53:25 AMMy bones don't break.

Not saying I'm invincible but I'm a 40-year-old woman and never had any broken bones after getting my head kicked in by a horse, hit by a truck, fell off a 10+ foot drop and landed head first on cement.

I've had x-rays and Cat Scans and multiple times have been told by doctors that it's physically impossible for me to not have any broken bones. I've even gone back in for them expecting my bones to separate after a few days and it never happened.

Best guess I can do is I've always been insanely active since I could walk from; ice skating, skate boarding, roller skating, swimming, baseball, basketball, volleyball, bicycling, horseback riding, walking and always being busy working. That's as a child. Then I've never missed a meal in my life and consume tons of protein.

So I'm assuming that may have contributed.

Amazing! 👏😊

I'm not invincible though. I'm hyper-flexible, meaning my limbs can bend every which way and am very limber. Problem with that is leads to more dislocations, sprains and arthritis. I have all of that. Have to wear knee braces at work because I'll be walking and my knee joints will say, "I'm not gonna do this." And pop out of socket. Because of my knee braces putting pressure on my knees, there's no where for my knee caps to go but back in place. So that's basically a second long sprain that'll stay with me for two weeks.

One time I completely folded my ankle and immediately applied my compression sleeves. Podiatrist said that was the best thing I could have done.

Didn't break any bones though. Just hate that I can't walk on wet cement without fear of my knees dislocating. So this is why all my shoes are not cheap and instead are more pricey as I'm paying for non-slip shoes.

Master Chief

Master Chief

I love to play disc golf.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Master Chief on Oct 26, 2023, 03:45:55 PMI love to play disc golf.

Do you ever take your helmet off or are you more like Judge Dredd?  ;D

Master Chief

Master Chief

haha helmet stays on.  One does not want to get hit in the head with a disc flying 50-60 mph.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I'm not a member of the wine-drinking elite from AVPGalaxy :'(👉👈

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

You just need to reduce your soda intake.

Immortan Jonesy

What kind of wine is Alien³?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

The finest box wine that you can get at the local supermarket.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 28, 2023, 02:33:23 AMThe finest box wine that you can get at the local supermarket.

Nothing wrong with goonbags

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Heh goon

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed