Flop

Started by DerelictShip, Oct 30, 2017, 05:38:43 PM

Author
Flop (Read 14,959 times)

chrisr232007

chrisr232007

Quote from: Shaeffer11 on Nov 20, 2017, 06:43:13 PM
Without knowing how much the budget is, if we speculated 80 million to make the film- what would it need to make to be considered successful? A flop could be a death blow to this franchise.

At a 80 million budget plus 20 million for advertising...it would need to make roughly 250 to 300 million around the world.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I swear to god i read somewhere that the budget is rumoured to be around 150 million...

chrisr232007

chrisr232007

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Nov 20, 2017, 07:29:47 PM
I swear to god i read somewhere that the budget is rumoured to be around 150 million...

No way for a R rated movie....good god that be crazy

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Maybe, but Prometheus or Watchmen were big budgets around 130 million which isn't far from 150 million, and R rated too.

Plus, Iron Man 3 has been a really huge box office success, Fox could totally invest a lot of money in this and trust Shane Black to pull it off, as it's presented as an "event" movie apparently (which wasn't the case of The Nice Guys of course).

SiL

SiL

Black said the budget wasn't that big. It was being treated like an event picture, but wasn't having the spend of an event picture.

Quote from: chrisr232007 on Nov 20, 2017, 07:05:35 PM
At a 80 million budget plus 20 million for advertising...it would need to make roughly 250 to 300 million around the world.
Distribution costs (advertising, etc) are usually one third the total spend of the film, so it'd be around $40million extra. $300m return would still be fine though.

happypred

happypred

Treated as an event picture but without the financial treatment of an even picture...OK

Hollywood

Hollywood

Quote from: happypred on Nov 24, 2017, 03:33:56 AM
Treated as an event picture but without the financial treatment of an even picture...OK

You dont need a huge budget to make a film feel like an event film. Recent ones include Arrival, 2017's It, The Conjuring movies, Get Out, Deadpool, John Wick, 13 Hours, Split, Baby Driver, Hacksaw Ridge, and Sicario.

Whos_Nick

Whos_Nick

I think Black has said he hopes this Predator movie has people buying tickets months in advance and getting people aware of it, rather than it being something they see on a whim.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Hollywood on Nov 24, 2017, 05:46:46 AM
Quote from: happypred on Nov 24, 2017, 03:33:56 AM

You dont need a huge budget to make a film feel like an event film. Recent ones include Arrival, 2017's It, The Conjuring movies, Get Out, Deadpool, John Wick, 13 Hours, Split, Baby Driver, Hacksaw Ridge, and Sicario.
Exactly this. You don't need huge budgets to make "event pictures", you can put enough care, craftsmanship and creativity in a small budget movie and make it something special. And that's what Shane Black was saying all along.

With huge movies bombing and small movies making a ton of money this year, i think we will see a change in the studio system in the future anyway, maybe for our best.

BlackMatter169

BlackMatter169

Quote from: Hollywood on Nov 20, 2017, 02:48:45 AM
Quote from: BlackMatter169 on Nov 20, 2017, 02:05:36 AM
I absolutely loathe the fact there's a kid in this movie.

Why?

Because I generally dislike children in movies. It's a rare thing for them to be enjoyable (I say this so no one jumps in and mentions Newt or the Stranger Things kids). And the idea of a kid in a Predator movie leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I imagine ET except it's a predator in the bike basket.

Edit: Also that kid in Iron Man 3 annoyed me as well.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: BlackMatter169 on Nov 25, 2017, 04:51:53 PM

Why?

Because I generally dislike children in movies. It's a rare thing for them to be enjoyable (I say this so no one jumps in and mentions Newt or the Stranger Things kids). And the idea of a kid in a Predator movie leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I imagine ET except it's a predator in the bike basket.

Did the kids in The Last Boy Scout and Last Action Hero annoyed you also ? They were pretty well written IMHO, and had meaning and impact on the story, even though it's not the same stories.

BlackMatter169

BlackMatter169

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Nov 25, 2017, 05:05:10 PM
Quote from: BlackMatter169 on Nov 25, 2017, 04:51:53 PM

Why?

Did the kids in The Last Boy Scout and Last Action Hero annoyed you also ? They were pretty well written IMHO, and had meaning and impact on the story, even though it's not the same stories.

Like I said, I think it's rare that you get well written/acted child characters (hence why I mentioned Newt and the Stranger Things kids). Last Action Hero was definitely an example of a good kid character. And of course this is entirely subjective, I know plenty of people who thought the kid in Iron Man 3 was funny. If this kid in The Predator is good, then I'll be eating crow, but at this point in time I'm thinking having a kid in a predator movie ("Want some candy?" kid doesn't count, I'm talking a kid as a main protagonist) is a bad idea.

Stealth_Hunter

Stealth_Hunter

A big reason I'm not worried about it is because Tremblay is a fantastic child actor and Shane has a tendency to write youth well.

Hollywood

Hollywood

Good point, plus child actors can be great when the director cares to get the performance needed. Some movies where kids are main protagonists and do awesome jobs are:

Room, IT, Moonlight, The Witch, Wonder, Beasts of No Nation, Oculus, Lion, The Road, Annabelle: Creation, True Grit, Southpaw, The Conjuring, Ransom, Man on Fire, Nice Guys, Beasts of The Southern Wild, Aliens, The Good Son, Stand By Me, A Monster Calls, Donnie Darko, Atonement, Leon the Professional, I Am Sam, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, The Exorcist, The Emporor's Club, Let the Right One in, 6th Sense.

skhellter

skhellter

Way too early to call anything a flop...

But it's a bigger budget take on a franchise that hasnt exactly smashed box office records....

I fear that it might be...
trying to "ice skate uphill"

#wesleysnipes
#blade

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed