Should Predator 4 plot be in the jungle or in the city.

Started by Alien Jockey, May 14, 2013, 03:20:59 AM

Author
Should Predator 4 plot be in the jungle or in the city. (Read 138,738 times)

Spooky Baz

Time will tell dude.

Nice chatting. :)

Lemonade

Straight through the keeper.

Spooky Baz

Go right ahead. You're basically arguing that the Predator won't kill anybody and that the good guy will lose.

I feel the ground is pretty steady beneath my feet to be honest.

Lemonade

Huh? Go right ahead what?

Didn't say that at all.

Blacklabel

Predator 4 plot will take place...

on christmas.

FiorinaFury161

Get to the choppa, Santa!

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jun 26, 2014, 02:32:28 AMPredator 4 plot will take place...

on christmas.
As stupid as the idea is, part of me kinda wants this to happen. Can't beat a good ol' Shane Black Christmas massacre.

DoomRulz

What do you mean by that?

HuDaFuK

Shane Black's always making movies set over the Christmas period. Lethal Weapon, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Iron Man 3 all take place around Christmas. As much as it wouldn't work, part of me just wants the new Predator to be set in a snowbound Christmas setting just for the tradition.

Spooky Baz

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 26, 2014, 12:59:54 AM
Huh? Go right ahead what?

That was in response to this:

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 26, 2014, 12:30:46 AM
Straight through the keeper.

Which I took to be referring to this:

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 26, 2014, 12:14:53 AM
Save/screenshot my post. I guarantee you they're going in the direction I desire.

i.e. by you saying "Straight through the keeper", I assumed you meant you were going to record our discussion for future reference.

I take it by your subsequent response that " Straight through the keeper" means something else. In which case, I have no idea what you're talking about.  Which is kinda ironic, considering you seem to be in some confusion as to what I'm talking about.

I draw your attention to exhibit A:

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 26, 2014, 12:59:54 AMDidn't say that at all.

I've agreed with most of your points, but all along I've been saying the same thing. At it's most basic level, my point has always been: Predator 4 will have a Predator in it; the Predator will kill some guys; some guy will kill the Predator; the movie will end. That's all I've said. This is what I believe the plot will be.

By arguing with the above, logic dictates that you think: the Predator will not kill some guys; no guy will kill the Predator; the movie will end (unless you want to argue with that as well).

The point you've been making, as far as I understand it, is that there will be subplots and themes threaded throughout this basic plot that will flesh out the story a bit. Well, I like to think I'm not an idiot, but I was kinda expecting that. I'm not expecting "depth" as you put it though. I don't look for the meaning of life in a Predator movie. I'm expecting a tall guy in a cool alien costume fighting actors with personal trainers on speed dial, with maybe the odd explosion thrown in.

You'll probably accuse me again of lacking imagination or aiming my sights too low. To that I say; it's not pessimism to expect an entertaining action film in an action franchise. Aiming high is the least I would expect from the filmmakers, but the absolute best they can accomplish is a couple of hours of entertaining escapism.

I admire your passion but as much as I love the Predator concept, you're fooling yourself if you think it's anything but a formulaic cash cow for Fox.

Russ

Quote from: Spooky Baz on Jun 26, 2014, 12:49:40 PM
I admire your passion but as much as I love the Predator concept, you're fooling yourself if you think it's anything but a formulaic cash cow for Fox.

This is a tough one to predict. I suspect it'll hit all the Blake Snyder beats, but I it might be bit subversive given Shane Black's propensity to do that sort of thing.

I think the big question is how subversive (if at all - and I can't see it not) will it be? But I'd bet that it'll be a little bit smarter than, say, AvP or AvP:R (which didn't set out to be smart in the first place, of course).

Magegg

You know? I would like to see a different kind of Predator. I mean, so far they've been set mostly in jungles, with more or less the same appearance from the first movie, using more or less the same equipment than the one of the first movie.

Maybe not all of them are the same, maybe not all of them are jungle hunters wearing dreadlocks.

I think a cool idea could be a "Predator meets The Cube". One "mastermind" Predator take some human prisoners into a maze, they release some wild animals plus a Predator, the prisoners have to survive this alien fauna, booby traps and the hunter Predator lurking. I like the idea of the falconer Predator but they could tame other animals too. And we have in the end a final battle between the survivor(s) and the mastermind Predator, who uses completely different resources to defend himself.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Magegg on Jun 26, 2014, 02:29:57 PMYou know? I would like to see a different kind of Predator. I mean, so far they've been set mostly in jungles, with more or less the same appearance from the first movie, using more or less the same equipment than the one of the first movie.
Except, you know, Predator 2, which wasn't in a jungle at all and introduced a whole bunch of completely new weaponry...

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 26, 2014, 02:31:19 PMExcept, you know, Predator 2, which wasn't in a jungle at all and introduced a whole bunch of completely new weaponry...
But the Predator's appearance and behaviour were more or less the same.

So far, we know the Hunter predators. There must be some other "chastes" who creates the weapons, rulers or scientists, perhaps. I'm not talking about detailing the Predator society or history, but I'd like to see a member of the species who is not really a hunter (but shares the tribe point of view on preying on other species, only in a different level) and looks quite different to the old Pred we're used to.

Spooky Baz

Quote from: Russ on Jun 26, 2014, 01:56:05 PM
Quote from: Spooky Baz on Jun 26, 2014, 12:49:40 PM

This is a tough one to predict. I suspect it'll hit all the Blake Snyder beats, but I it might be bit subversive given Shane Black's propensity to do that sort of thing.

I think the big question is how subversive (if at all - and I can't see it not) will it be? But I'd bet that it'll be a little bit smarter than, say, AvP or AvP:R (which didn't set out to be smart in the first place, of course).

Oh, I'm totally expecting something special from Mr. Black. You don't get that kind of reputation by being a hack.

If Lemonade has actually been reading my posts though, he's arguing my assertion that the new film has to follow the same basic formula as previously laid down, or risk not looking like a Predator film at all. I suspect Black has too much respect for the material to go down that road.

I was thinking, actually, of a slight tweak to the basic story that would show something new to the audience, albeit the same basic structure.

What we've seen so far is a variation on a chase; the Predator chases down Dutch's team while they get to da choppa, Harrigan is chasing down his Predator while it's chasing him, Royce and his lot are getting chased down by those ugly parodies.

Now, I'm a Doctor Who fan, and I've no idea if anyone here is familiar with it, but in the late sixties the base-under-siege story was prevalent, and it's a story device I reckon could easily be carried over to this franchise. It would still meet the same basic formula (a team being whittled down by a deadly extraterrestrial) but still present something new, superficially.

The Predator's motivations would be the same as before; make trophies out of skulls, and the protagonists motivations would be the same; keep their skulls attached. But in a change from before, our heroes are holed up in an almost impregnable fortress, say. The tension would come from the humans trying to keep the monster at bay and figuring out how it could get into their territory. Aliens: SE used a similar device in the middle of the movie when they're relying too much on their sentry guns.

At the end of the day though, as feasible as I think this idea could be, it's basically just a change in setting - which is what sent Lemonade off on one in the first place!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed