Should Predator 4 plot be in the jungle or in the city.

Started by Alien Jockey, May 14, 2013, 03:20:59 AM

Author
Should Predator 4 plot be in the jungle or in the city. (Read 138,731 times)

Nightmare Asylum

I'm with MrSpaceJockey. Give me a distinctly different alien landscape.

Or a spacehship.

DoomRulz

A spaceship sounds exciting but I think a desert could work somehow. A Predator tearing up an army base in Iraq sounds like fun to me.

Jabroni

Jabroni

I like to believe that if you're of a serious mind to get it done, any setting can work, and I don't see why a wide open space like a desert would be exempt. If anything, if it is a question specifically of doing something new with Predator, a wide open space would certainly be that, if it is nothing else. Imagine the scene where cloaked or perhaps not, the Predator advances towards the group of people we've been following except they are dramatically out of ammunition. They can do little other than stare or take wild flight at the Predator's in-plain-sight advance. It would be reminiscent of a lion or cheetah running down a pack of antelope, and oh dear which of our fun human characters is going to get it? Or what about the scene or scenes, where it is time to sleep, but will it be ok with only 1 person on guard duty? Makes more sense to have 2 or 3, and what will that be able to accomplish anyway if it comes down to it, assuming they think of the Predator as what might as well be a force of nature? There are new (as far as Predator is concerned) modes of drama and tension to be explored even if my examples sound silly. Crafty movie artistry can go a long way towards making even my two example scenes work. Or plain brute style, if you got enough style you can get away with murder, in this case literally  ;D

If I can think of something even semi-viable, the people that do this for a living are certainly more than capable. I would be ok with a movie that diverged from sneaky sneaky and jump scare-y slasher genre modes to try something new. I have nothing against more of the same either. Slasher and the Predator go together like panties on ass, so it's not like I'm gonna complain.

Topazora

I know post-apolyptic has been mentioned, but it a workable idea, essentially Mad Max and Predator.  Throw in a zombie or two.
But also similar to a space ship, what about a Navy battle ship?  I would like to see a movie similar to Deep Rising, only on a Navy ship, and because of the sea monster, the predator gets in on the action.  Yeah, it would be like aliens on a spaceship, but its closer to home and different situations can be created from the fact that its on the ocean as opposed to space.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Topazora on Dec 22, 2013, 11:56:45 PMDeep Rising
That's of my all-time favourite movies! No one's ever heard of that one!

"Now what...?"

Spooky Baz

I reckon Rio del Janeiro or Mogadishu would be cool environments for a Predator to explore. :)

Spoonman101

Spoonman101

Quote from: Spooky Baz on Jun 25, 2014, 05:03:16 PM
I reckon Rio del Janeiro or Mogadishu would be cool environments for a Predator to explore. :)
BAHAHAHAHAHHA! Geography fail!

That was a good laugh, I see you're new here. Take no offense I mean nothing by it :)
Welcome to the AvPgalaxy board looking forward to seeing more posts from you and don't feel nervous to jump into a discussion be it if we're arguing or laughing! :)

Rio is a good idea, it mixes a lot of elements that would give both a lot of potential and probably depth.

Spooky Baz

Quote from: Spoonman101 on Jun 25, 2014, 05:22:36 PM
Quote from: Spooky Baz on Jun 25, 2014, 05:03:16 PM
BAHAHAHAHAHHA! Geography fail!

Aside from my spell checker adding an extra "L", what would you say is the issue here?

Spoonman101

Spoonman101

I edited my post sorry

I didn't think of the Somalian city so I thought you were going for Machu Picchu hahaha the geography fail was me!

Spooky Baz

Spooky Baz

Meh... you say Macchu Picchu, I say Mogadishu. Everybody else says "Bless you!".

Saw your edit. Thanks for the welcome and look forward to conversing in future. :)

(Geography is the pub quiz subject I dread, incidentally;))

Spoonman101

Apparently it's mine as well hahaha

Magegg

What about in the ocean? I'd like to see scuba-diving and surfing predators :)

OpenMaw

Thing that concerns me with a lot of the ideas is that they all seem to read like "Put the Predator in this location, because it would be cool." It reminds me of, for some reason, "Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian."

Lemonade

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 25, 2014, 08:06:18 PM
Thing that concerns me with a lot of the ideas is that they all seem to read like "Put the Predator in this location, because it would be cool." It reminds me of, for some reason, "Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian."

Yep. "You can stick him in a jungle. You can stick him in a city. An iceland. A small town. Anywhere!"

I think maybe its time to focus less on "This time, let's drop him HERE!" and more on the fact that this is going to be a truly special movie. The guy who directed the sixth highest grossing movie of all time is going behind the camera. Let that sink in.

I think this movie is going to be epic.

Spooky Baz

Well, being realistic, I think a change in setting is about one of the few things that you can change in the formula, and still maintain all the trademarks of a Predator movie. The plot is always going to be guys/gals with guns getting whittled down one-by-one by an invisible alien, up until the last survivor turns the tables.  It's never going to be a romcom.

But I maintain the hope that Shane Black can surprise us. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed