Alien Romulus Teaser Trailer!

Started by MudButt, Mar 19, 2024, 10:45:28 PM

Author
Alien Romulus Teaser Trailer! (Read 46,863 times)

Snake

Snake

Romulus was originally set to be released on streaming service Hulu so that's that. It does not have the scope, scale or gravity of the first movies and it simply won't be anything new or groundbreaking as we have seen in the past. Still going to see it day 1 and hope it breaks even or makes a profit. Then we really need sth else because the same story over and over again has been done to death.

Space_Dementia

Completely agree with the Xeno changing as a monster, for me it became more creature/animal like. I LOVED the way it would move in the original, it was more humanoid, more mysterious, sensual even.

Cosmic Incubation

I agree. As much as I love Aliens, I've been swayed more and more by the argument that it very much simplifies the creature, and a lot of the cosmic horror ambiguity and potential that the first film has.

But this is something that has been debated and discussed ad nauseum across a ton of threads on here lol.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: PortugueseXeno on Mar 27, 2024, 07:28:34 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 27, 2024, 07:18:39 PM
Quote from: PortugueseXeno on Mar 27, 2024, 07:08:08 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 27, 2024, 06:58:14 PMsometimes they can work out well if it fits well such as the Alien Queen.

Even then, i think that the Queen only fits on a vacuum.

The depiction of the Xeno in Aliens is so familiar (to the audience as space ants) and different to the Big Chap of the first movie, that i think it's fair to say that Cameron took away the mysterious vibe of the Xeno earlier than Scott ever did with the prequels.

The thing is that James Cameron managed to do the best scifi-action movie of all time, so it kind of gets a pass.

The Xenos in Aliens could have been replaced with any other fictional monster and the movie would have still been a banger, because of the vibes and style of James Cameron.

The psychosexual Gigeresque aspect of the Xeno got lost, but in return James Cameron pulled an ambitious production (animatronics, set design, power loader) and a compelling narrative, with all of these factors being executed with maximum perfection.

And i say this as someone that loves Aliens.

That movie is so good, that i kind of give it a pass when it comes to how the Xenos were portrayed in comparison to the first movie.

They were always bug-like to begin with though.
I think you understand what i mean.

The first movie had a lot of psychosexual influence and rape imagery, not to mention the scene with Big Chap  moving his tail beneath Lambert's legs.

The second movie, while still featuring facehuggers and the life-cycle, had a much more shallow interpretation of the Xeno and abandoned its Gigeresque features and vibes for a more action oriented spectacle, therefore turning the Xeno into literal bugs to be used as cannon fodder, while then introducing a big final boss, the Queen.

And don't get me wrong, it worked, the movie was a blast, but it's fair to say that the Xeno changed as a monster.
They were still bio-mechanical in Aliens and they still moved slowly when they didn't need to jump wall to wall. I get what you mean though.

Cosmic Incubation

Quote from: Snake on Mar 27, 2024, 07:32:18 PMRomulus was originally set to be released on streaming service Hulu so that's that. It does not have the scope, scale or gravity of the first movies and it simply won't be anything new or groundbreaking as we have seen in the past. Still going to see it day 1 and hope it breaks even or makes a profit. Then we really need sth else because the same story over and over again has been done to death.

Maybe we should wait to see it before making such doom and gloom judgements.

People had similar reservations for Prey, but a Hulu release, and scaled-back return to basics ended up being very enjoyable to a good majority of the fanbase. And clearly was enough to warrant two sequels being green-lit, and giving the studios confidence enough to give this a theater run.

Nightmare Asylum

Regarding Romulus originally being conceived for Hulu, back in 2022 when the film was announced Steve Asbell had this to say on that subject:

QuoteAsbell, who recently spoke to THR about the future of 20th Century Studios, said by doing the project for Hulu, there wouldn't be the pressure to whittle down the potential edginess that could come with theatrical considerations. "It's not a film that has to be all things to all people with those gargantuan budgets. They get to be authentically what they are. And this is closer to its genre roots."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/alien-movie-fede-alvarez-20th-century-studios-1235037155/

Snake

Snake

Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Mar 27, 2024, 07:37:24 PM
Quote from: Snake on Mar 27, 2024, 07:32:18 PMRomulus was originally set to be released on streaming service Hulu so that's that. It does not have the scope, scale or gravity of the first movies and it simply won't be anything new or groundbreaking as we have seen in the past. Still going to see it day 1 and hope it breaks even or makes a profit. Then we really need sth else because the same story over and over again has been done to death.

People had similar reservations for Prey, but a Hulu release, and scaled-back return to basics ended up being very enjoyable to a good majority of the fanbase. And clearly was enough to warrant two sequels being green-lit, and giving the studios confidence enough to give this a theater run.
Ok fair enough...i'm still collating...

But Prey wasn't that good either imo. It felt lazy being set on earth, so easy when you don't have to create a new one... And the Predator was virtually indestructable it was ridiculous. Also, I'm not even remotely confident in Hollywood anymore after all the crap they released the past few years. We have to rely on the suits at fox these days and not the artists anymore so fingers crossed.

solace97

solace97

I liked PREY but honestly I didn't think it was that good. Not bad, not good. It was hard for me to buy into the main girl out smarting the predator after how she was introduced early in the film (I see what they were going for just didn't feel the execution was there) and I HATED the feral design.

With that being said though there were some really cool scenes cinematography wise. I still love the rattlesnake scene among some of the other wild life scenes. And it seemed like the director had a passion for the Predator films which is why I think we are seeing a shift between Romulus and PREY because the directors have a strong fan side that honors the lore and isn't trying to reinvent the wheel too much.

But Romulus idk I'm all onboard at this point with Fede I've heard and seen enough at this point from his previous works and the visuals in the trailer. I will go down with the ship on this saying this will be up there with the first two alien films.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

There's a part of me that hopes it will be on par with the first two movies. I don't believe at all it will happen though.

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

Romulus will be praised like Prey, but probably will not take risks. And yet Alien (1979) was a film that took risks. Its ironic how the desire for nostalgia makes it impossible to create what you are now nostalgic about. Once upon a time the Xenomorph was innovative in design and all was fresh; now we are painted into a corner with only the right to use certain strokes, and colors.; its ironic, what was once new and creative gets used to destroy creativity and any chance of seeing anything new as writers and directors cling to orthodoxy; doubly ironic that most franchises are now trapped in dogma, and are like religions, with deviations or fresh takes treated as heresy.

Still Collating...

Quote from: Snake on Mar 27, 2024, 07:45:16 PM
Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Mar 27, 2024, 07:37:24 PM

Ok fair enough...i'm still collating...

Are you sure about that...? :P

(Sorry for the lame joke, I couldn't resist :laugh: )

Cosmic Incubation

It's hard to fully tell right now what Romulus will have to offer. I think it might not be a whole lot of new territory, but will overall be a solid reminder of what a good Alien film can be. I'm personally ok with that.

I don't get the vibe that it'll be full of eye-rolling nostalgia-bait or anything either. Fede had the opportunity to do such a thing with his Evil Dead, but didn't. There were echoes from the original, but it felt unique and not forced, and gave the film it's own identity in the series.

BlueMarsalis79

I hope it does have a new thing going for it honestly, that's something I loved about Prometheus, something I still love, it's taking the core concept of something and doing your own thing with it.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Mar 27, 2024, 11:47:16 PMIt's hard to fully tell right now what Romulus will have to offer.

I think I'm looking forward to SiL's reaction more than the actual movie.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 27, 2024, 11:52:30 PMI think I'm looking forward to SiL's reaction more than the actual movie.
If I don't like it it's probably going to just be "ehhhh".

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed