Alien Covenant Review Roundup

Started by Darkness, May 07, 2017, 03:38:05 AM

Author
Alien Covenant Review Roundup (Read 121,602 times)

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 03, 2018, 10:20:57 PM
I have to disagree with that, Ripley going into the hive alone with a pulse rifle/flamethrower is Rambo, not Daniels swinging underneath a spaceship.

I disagree.

The hive scene in ALIENS comes off as plausible compared to the Matrixesque stunts that happen in the crane/barge scene. Even the Powerloader vs. Queen fight (which I used to consider to be the silliest and stupidest scene and concept in any of the original movies) seems grounded in reality compared to the CGI fest in A:C. At least there is a believable progression and story arc leading to Rambo Ripley in the end of ALIENS. The behavior of the characters in A:C once they get on that barge just change completely and all the character development, tension, atmosphere and buildup were thrown out the window. That scene is just horrendous and absolutely stupid and completely unnecessary and superfluous. One could easily cut it and it would actually improve the movie tenfold as we would then just have been dealing with one Xenomorph - the one born from Oram somehow got on board the barge unnoticed and then started wrecking havoc on the Covenant. It would've turned the Xenomorph into a more potent threat for one and not some stupid beast that mistake a crane for some massive jawed creature to throw itself at.

QuoteFlashback scenes are good, because the prequels have a different structure, they explore themes and characters to a greater depth.

Flashback scenes also break the immersion of "realism" and direct the audience's way of thinking. The original movies were straightforward but had a lot of thematic dept, as well layers thanks to magnificent acting (especially ALIEN and A3), without having to write you on the nose about whatever quasi-philosophical conundrum or trope the director and writers had in mind - it was more up to the viewer to care, decide and interpret. The original movies gave you the impression of reality, cold harsh and godless, a void of meaninglessness, nothing even closely resembling to super heroes or demi-gods. The cold echoing darkness of space and the business-as-usual of man kind. The whole Weyland the Super Visionary just gets sillier and sillier every time I watch PROM and A:C, especially in combination with these bald Greek sculpturesque super human Von Daniken creator god giants and David android feeling oddly cartoony and completely out of place despite Fasbender's great acting skills.

Anyways. Flashbacks don't work in Alien movies. Then on the other hands these are prequels and a different series, but if they are aiming to connect with the originals the next entry better not drop any flashbacks.

Despite all of this criticism I kind of like A:C for what it is even though it doesn't feel anything like an Alien movie to me. In fact, the movie is enjoyable all up until the "classic" Xenomorph enters the fray as the creature simply doesn't belong in the movie and the parallel universe presented to us in PROM and A:C.

Quote from: Alionic on Jan 03, 2018, 10:52:07 PM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jan 03, 2018, 09:47:09 PM
If I would have edited A:C I would have cut the intro scene with Weyland and David,

Holy shit, no. This is easily one of the best parts of the movie, and it ties into the film's ending really well.

Yes, the intro scene and the ending scene tie up perfectly - i.e. they are self-satisfactory and are just there to serve each other (artistic/storytelling masturbation if you want), but they don't help out the movie when looking at it in the scope I presented in my original post.

SM

SM

The flashback in AvP was one of the few highlights.

Alionic

Alionic

LOL "Matrixesque" stunts? I must have missed the bullet time and superman flying bits. This post of yours is even more hyperbolic and hysterical than your last one.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: SM on Jan 04, 2018, 12:33:24 AM
The flashback in AvP was one of the few highlights.

True that. But I was referring to the Alien movies in my original post and not any of the spin-off AVP ones.

Quote from: Alionic on Jan 04, 2018, 12:35:01 AM
LOL "Matrixesque" stunts? I must have missed the bullet time and superman flying bits. This post of yours is even more hyperbolic and hysterical than your last one.

Hyperbole or not - if you're going to focus on my choice of words and way of writing rather than the content then I don't see the point in the two of us continuing replying back and forth.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jan 04, 2018, 12:17:21 AM

At least there is a believable progression and story arc leading to Rambo Ripley in the end of ALIENS. The behavior of the characters in A:C once they get on that barge just change completely and all the character development, tension, atmosphere and buildup were thrown out the window.

It's the same arc as Aliens really, traumatised woman turns into superhero.

QuoteIt would've turned the Xenomorph into a more potent threat for one and not some stupid beast that mistake a crane for some massive jawed creature to throw itself at.

It being a stupid beast is the point, that's like complaining about the Neomorph's behaviour.  We haven't gotten to the fully fledged Xenomorphs yet.

QuoteFlashback scenes also break the immersion of "realism" and direct the audience's way of thinking.

That's your problem right there, you were expecting the tone of the original movies.  Prometheus and Covenant are not aiming for realism, in the same way as Alien was. 

Alionic

Alionic

Edit: Never mind.

Highland

Highland

"Not real xenomorph" Card - Power 5000, can be used to counter any card.

Kurai

Kurai

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 04, 2018, 01:17:42 AM
It's the same arc as Aliens really, traumatised woman turns into superhero.

To be fair, we actually get to see a bit of development and foreshadowing for the scene in Aliens, what with Hicks, the tracker, Ripley steadily building up a clear maternal bond with Newt.
The only real superpower Ripley showed was super luck that she didn't run into more Aliens prior to reaching the Queen's chamber, and that was already developed anyhow with most of them probably being dead already thanks to the various other encounters. She really didn't perform any super-heroics, normal heroics sure but no super stuff.

Quote from: Highland on Jan 04, 2018, 03:32:14 AM
"Not real xenomorph" Card - Power 5000, can be used to counter any card.

It was just like a few hours old though, so cut it some slack. :P

Highland

Highland

A few hours in Covenant is years in Alien years. 1 Alien year is like 27 doggy years.

SM

SM

QuoteShe really didn't perform any super-heroics, normal heroics sure but no super stuff.

Neither Ripley nor Daniels do anything super-heroic.

It wasn't luck that left the nest empty in Aliens; they were still attacking the colony.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Alionic on Jan 04, 2018, 12:35:01 AM
Is it?

Alionic

Alionic

AVP did have bullet time facehuggers, I'll give you that.

Highland

Highland

I agree the film isn't any better for the lander scene. Cutting that out and giving us one Xeno and an extended third act would have been my choice.

Edit: there is another solution if you keep that scene, put the neomorph on the lander instead.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Alionic on Jan 04, 2018, 05:25:12 AM
AVP did have bullet time facehuggers, I'll give you that.

And when it comes up I feel I have to repeat myself. The biggest failing of AVP, more than anything else, are these awful choices by Anderson. All of the goofy-ass slow-mo should never have even been there.

Quote from: SM on Jan 04, 2018, 04:52:13 AM
Neither Ripley nor Daniels do anything super-heroic.

Welllll.... I think the way a lot of her acrobatic shit is portrayed comes off a little on the side of Marvelish... They could have done a lot of the same things they did, but filmed them in a more grounded, gripping, way. Like making Daniels look far more like she's hanging on for dear life and getting winded.

SM

SM

What acrobatic stuff was she doing?  Tennessee hits a dome and she falls over, then slides over the side.  Then later on she falls over the side again, and manages to run a few steps on the ground when the ship gets low.  All the hanging over the side didn't require her to use her physical strength to do so - which would've been bordering on super hero stuff.

She doesn't need to hang on for dear life because she's attached to the ship.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed