Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews

Started by happypred, Sep 09, 2014, 07:43:43 AM

Author
Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews (Read 135,038 times)

Local Trouble

I just read a five-part Aliens comic with this title.  Is there more to it?

Corporal Hicks

As in you've read Aliens: Fire and Stone? There's a F&S series for all the titles plus an extra long shot for Prometheus to tie up the run.

Local Trouble

Yes.

When SM listed "Fire & Stone comics," I didn't realize it was a crossover event that spanned multiple titles.

Perfect-Organism

There were only 4 issues in the Aliens part of that crossover.

Ultramorph

Maybe that's including the DH Presents short.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Some final thoughts on this series, which started very good but ended badly..how can one find out who's horseshyte idea it was to mention that the Deacon from Prometheus turned into a fkin mountain? Did this come from Fox or the writer from Dark Horse? Or was it from someone's 10 year old kid?

Also, who's idea was it to have the settlers from LV-426 decide to build a settlement made out of wooden barriers in the middle of an Alien infested forest/land? I think these settlers have seen Aliens rip through steel doors already as Xenomorphine mentioned in a podcast..

Anyhow, hopefully these 2 braindead ideas should be remembered by Fox and DH as the type of crap that shouldn't get through when editing or brainstorming. Nevermind the resident evil 6 armed and legged mutations..I don't even want to start with that.

Thomas H.

Quote from: Nostromo on Aug 09, 2016, 11:08:20 AM
Some final thoughts on this series, which started very good but ended badly..how can one find out who's horseshyte idea it was to mention that the Deacon from Prometheus turned into a fkin mountain? Did this come from Fox or the writer from Dark Horse? Or was it from someone's 10 year old kid?

Also, who's idea was it to have the settlers from LV-426 decide to build a settlement made out of wooden barriers in the middle of an Alien infested forest/land? I think these settlers have seen Aliens rip through steel doors already as Xenomorphine mentioned in a podcast..

Anyhow, hopefully these 2 braindead ideas should be remembered by Fox and DH as the type of crap that shouldn't get through when editing or brainstorming. Nevermind the resident evil 6 armed and legged mutations..I don't even want to start with that.

Wait, what?? The mountian was the Deacon? Where was that stated??

Ultramorph

Quote from: Thomas H. on Aug 09, 2016, 11:41:55 AM
Quote from: Nostromo on Aug 09, 2016, 11:08:20 AM

Wait, what?? The mountian was the Deacon? Where was that stated??

It's never explicitly stated, but it's pretty heavily implied in Omega. There's a line along the lines of "it must been an organism on Weyland's ship. It grew too fast because of the accelerant."

Not explicit, and there's room for interpretation, but I think the writers were definitely tipping their hand in that direction.

SM

QuoteAlso, who's idea was it to have the settlers from LV-426 decide to build a settlement made out of wooden barriers in the middle of an Alien infested forest/land? I think these settlers have seen Aliens rip through steel doors already as Xenomorphine mentioned in a podcast..

So they just set up their own smelter and manufacture steel walls?

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: SM on Aug 13, 2016, 04:08:04 AM
QuoteAlso, who's idea was it to have the settlers from LV-426 decide to build a settlement made out of wooden barriers in the middle of an Alien infested forest/land? I think these settlers have seen Aliens rip through steel doors already as Xenomorphine mentioned in a podcast..

So they just set up their own smelter and manufacture steel walls?

LOL yes, place the smelter right by the nuclear reactor. Just like in Rise of Nations or Sim City. Don't forget to attach the electrical poles to give it some power.

But seriously, all that work for 6 foot wooden half ass walls. At least make an encampment like the one in the '70's King Kong movie, with 50 x 2 feet thick wooden walls. Don't forget to add the bulldozer manufacturing plant by the smelter.

In real life, I think they would just keep walking without stopping in the opposite direction of where they first encountered the Aliens.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

The best FIRE & STONE chapter in the whole series was the ALIENS one. The wooden walls didn't bother me one bit, especially in comparison to the absolute crap that was the AVP chapter and the lackluster cheese-laden bore fest of the PREDATOR and PROMETHEUS chapters. At least the OMEGA chapter introduced some interesting ideas and narratives.

Nostromo

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Aug 13, 2016, 10:01:40 PM
The best FIRE & STONE chapter in the whole series was the ALIENS one. The wooden walls didn't bother me one bit, especially in comparison to the absolute crap that was the AVP chapter and the lackluster cheese-laden bore fest of the PREDATOR and PROMETHEUS chapters. At least the OMEGA chapter introduced somme interesting ideas and narratives.

Wow, really? You hated the AVP part but liked the Omega one?

I liked Prometheus & Aliens, just ordered the Predator TPB.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Nostromo on Aug 13, 2016, 10:10:54 PM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Aug 13, 2016, 10:01:40 PM
The best FIRE & STONE chapter in the whole series was the ALIENS one. The wooden walls didn't bother me one bit, especially in comparison to the absolute crap that was the AVP chapter and the lackluster cheese-laden bore fest of the PREDATOR and PROMETHEUS chapters. At least the OMEGA chapter introduced somme interesting ideas and narratives.

Wow, really? You hated the AVP part but liked the Omega one?

I liked Prometheus & Aliens, just ordered the Predator TPB.

AVP was just way over the top and just got sillier and sillier every page passing by. Total pulp, but not in a good way. Omega had better pacing and artwork and actually contributed to the story. I kind of liked the idea that the Mountain originated from a life-form, possibly the Deacon. I'm not saying that they did a great job with Omega, but it could've been way worse.

The Prometheus chapter was interesting but I just didn't dig the artwork and the storytelling, whereas the Predator chapter just felt really flat and generic in comparison to the other entries.

I guess the reason I like the Aliens chapter the most is because it feels like a unique mix between Aliens: Sacrifice and Aliens: Labyrinth, which are my two all-time favorite Alien comics.

426Buddy

For Fire and Stone i loved Prometheus, aliens, and predator. They were all great I thought. I didn't care much for omega and I really disliked avp.

Corporal Hicks

I re-read the entire collection over the weekend and then finished it off yesterday and I gotta say I enjoyed the experience over all. There's lots of things I do genuinely enjoy about the run and the artwork is largely really pretty but when I sit and think about things a little, I get frustrated too. As ultimately it just seems to go nowhere. It's very much a Prometheus experience for me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed