It was what I expected
13 (8.8%)
It fell short for me
16 (10.8%)
It was not good
15 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Author
Sneak Peek with LegionFX Tomorrow - The Last Supper (Read 96,039 times)

Evanus

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Feb 24, 2017, 03:35:43 PM
Quote from: Evanus on Feb 24, 2017, 01:57:32 PM
I was looking on the SuperHeroHype forum and I found this:
Spoiler
"The spaceship Covenant is transporting frozen embryos to a human colony on a faraway planet when they receive a distress signal from Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace), from the Prometheus expedition, which disappeared 10 years prior. The crew is brought out of hypersleep to answer to the signal, which leads to the death of the Covenant's captain, Branson (James Franco). His wife, Daniels (Katherine Waterson), is deeply affected by the accident, while Branson's first officer Archer (Billy Crudup) is made captain. The Covenant is piloted by Daniels's friend Tennessee (Danny McBride) and the crew is aided by an android, Walter (Michael Fassbender).

The Covenant follows Shaw's signal to Paradise, an uncharted forest planet and homeworld of the Engineers, the ancient extraterrestrials that seeded life on Earth and then sought to the destroy it. The Engineers' secret weapon, the black ooze, has spread through Paradise, turning it into a wasteland. The Covenant's crew ventures outside their ship and some of its members are exposed to spores released by plants infected by the ooze. It is determined they've contracted an alien pathogen and Archer has them quarantined aboard the Covenant.

Monstrous creatures known as "Neomorphs" burst from the infected crewmen's bodies and begin slaughtering the crew, forcing the survivors to flee into the forest, where they are rescued from the Neomorphs by David (Michael Fassbender), the sole survivor of the Prometheus crew. He reveals that Shaw sacrificed herself to crash a spaceship against Paradise's surface, exposing the Engineers to the black ooze to prevent them from destroying Earth, leaving him stranded on Paradise.

David leads the survivors back to the Engineers' derelict citadel, where he's been living ever since. Walter mistrusts David, who is not behaving in accordance with their programming, and finds out that David in fact murdered Shaw. David's mind has been warped by the numerous modifications that his creator, Peter Weyland (Guy Pearce), made to his programming during the Prometheus's expedition, and is obsessed with creating the "perfect organism". He exposed numerous lifeforms on Paradise, including Shaw, to the black ooze and, after numerous failed attempts, has created an alien egg, which produces a facehugger that latches itself to Archer, leading to the birth of a Primal Xenomorph.

Daniels and Tennessee realize David is controlling the Neomorphs and escape back to the Covenant with Walter in order to leave Paradise. Together, Daniels and Tennessee manage to kill the Primal Xenomorph and the Neomorphs and detonate explosives to destroy David's laboratory, with David himself apparently perishing in the explosion.

After escaping, Daniels and Tennessee place themselves back in hypersleep to continue their voyage to the colony, unaware that David has killed Walter and stolen his identity to leave Paradise. David secretly plants two alien egg embryos among the human frozen embryos that the Covenant is transporting to proceed to the next phase of his experiment.

Possibly the next movie will show how engineers were not THE benevolant higher power beings we wanted them to be,they were just a race being pawns of another higher race or higher power but stronger and a lot more advanced within the same race.The engineers we see in lv 223 and 426 are not the same we will see in covenant. The covenant ones are not as advanced...they are like a "primal indigenous" version of the true engineers who mastered the black goo chemical,this engineers are evil and the next sequels will cover more about them and what the black goo is trully capable of,i heard the idea we will follow is that the xenomorph as we know it was never the ultimate organism just one of the variations of the very first "creature" the chemical was made off, at this moment we see the xeno as the big bad beast(queen mostly) but i believe we will have another one to worship as the true perfect organisms.
[close]
Sound pretty interesting. Most of it isn't new, but the end part is, I think. If the movie after Covenant is indeed like this person describes, I think it would be pretty cool. But Covenant isn't even out yet so anything can still happen, of course.

Spoiler
I hope David being the one who created the first Alien egg isn't true.
[close]
Yeah, I agree.
Spoiler
I hope (and think) David is just recreating the eggs.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

That's my hope too. I just wonder how much is actually going to be definitively explained in the film and how much is left open.

Anthony

Anthony

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 24, 2017, 03:47:09 PM
That's my hope too. I just wonder how much is actually going to be definitively explained in the film and how much is left open.

I don't want to see their origin, but what I personally want is to see the Xenomorph's homeworld. Seriously, just imagine the possibilities.

Crocodile Xenomorphs, Whale Xenomorphs, Giraffe Xenomorphs. A Godzilla sized Xenomorph!

Pvt. Himmel

Going by what Evanus posted possibly means that Mcbride, and Waterston will return for the sequel to this??

Enoch

Enoch

Quote from: Anthony on Feb 24, 2017, 04:06:24 PM
I don't want to see their origin, but what I personally want is to see the Xenomorph's homeworld. Seriously, just imagine the possibilities.

Crocodile Xenomorphs, Whale Xenomorphs, Giraffe Xenomorphs. A Godzilla sized Xenomorph!

Wait, are you speaking about Jurassic World or Alien movie? :laugh: ???
Considering the fact that  Alien world finds its influences in Lovecraft's works,
I would like to see some hints of ultimate primordial (ominous) race... I really would enjoy
subtle hints. Origin of xeno and that master race need to remain  mysterious.

Anthony

Anthony

Quote from: Enoch on Feb 24, 2017, 04:07:38 PM
Quote from: Anthony on Feb 24, 2017, 04:06:24 PM

Wait, are you speaking about Jurassic World or Alien movie? :laugh: ???

I was thinking something like Kong Skull Island.

Enoch

Enoch

I think we all agree that Alien movies should continue to be closely related to the themes of Cosmicism https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmicism, Lovecraft's works and Giger's art and symbolism.

Character of David could serve as great narrative view-point. Maybe his agenda is highly influenced by that ancient race, he could know many things and thats why he is so interesting, plus the fact that he is a robot. As Ridley said, he even might possess a soul... I dont expect straightforward villain. Roy Batty was presented as villain in Blade Runner and he turned to be quite the opposite.

Anthony

Anthony

I agree. I'd just personally like to see them go all the way with the Xenomorph. There's a world of ideas that you could do with the Xenomorphs that would be awesome. But an explanation about the Xenos is unneeded IMO. It's better to just leave how they are a mystery.

salomonj

Quote from: harlequinade on Feb 24, 2017, 12:56:09 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 24, 2017, 12:52:02 PM
Got a link? Same place as the first trailer description?

It's the guy on SuperheroHype forum whose friend gets to see films/trailers early./ You can take that info to the bank, he is always right http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=34851057&postcount=990
Awesome Awesome awesome, thanks for sharing. I have something to look forward to.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SM on Feb 24, 2017, 07:33:25 AM
I'm not sure that's what he was getting at.  I thought it was more to do with sensibilities changing into the future.

Most likely, but he seemed to be confusing sensibilities with sexuality, itself. I suspect bisexuality is a lot more widespread than most people realise (if only because people fear being ridiculed if admitting it), but human beings generally don't do a complete 180 on who/what they find physically attractive just because they're on a long voyage. From what I remember, Scott's original quote heavily implied that he believed fluidity would be the norm.

QuoteI agree about the character development, but I often think that's just people who don't know any better bandying the term around to appear informed.  Like the term 'plot hole'.

It does give us some insight into some characters though.  The lacking in confidence 2IC, the judgy gossipy couple talking about McBride and his missus drinking - I don't think that counts as development.  We'll appreciate its worth (or lack thereof) when we have the wider context of the rest of the film to compare it to.

Yeah, there are some slight insights into dynamics and stuff, agreed. Dynamics, sure. Development, no.

I'm still curious as to why they didn't feel they could have a mini-celebration to blow off steam until the Captain had disappeared. If anything was massively against protocol, it's logical the synth would have objected (or at least pointed it out). The guy didn't come across as strict or authoritarian.

Quote from: NickisSmart on Feb 24, 2017, 07:56:11 AM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Feb 24, 2017, 06:29:30 AM
Was OK, but nothing special. I'm genuinely confused at why some people are hyping this as some kind of amazing example of character development. There's zero character development. It's just a bunch of people talking over one another at a dinner table.

So was most of Alien. I think this is a good thing. And they still have more chemistry than all of the characters in Prometheus combined. Is it high art? No, but neither were the conversations between Parker and Brett. Why are people expecting something other than what the classic was?

I honestly doubt a good number of these characters will even be given names, let alone have much screen time. :) I didn't see more chemistry here than in 'Prometheus'. There are similar things happening when the crew woke up in that one.

I'm not saying I mind it, just that it puzzles me why so many people are acting like this is a good of good quality. It's a generic improvised dinner table scene.

QuoteThey really should have decided against the fake-out, mind you. That honestly made it feel like it was getting dangerously close to a parody (even including a dark punchline, of sorts). While I didn't think much of the TED talk piece, either, at least that felt like it had more of a point and set out the theme of the story to come. It retained a serious tone and was all the better for it.

It felt fine to me. I think the point of this footage was to parallel Alien and I think it works. I think it sets the tone of the movie, which, like Alien, includes horror and humor. So what is bad about that, exactly? Also, the TED talk was nothing like how Prometheus actually turned out. It felt very misleading as far as that goes. The question is, is this?

It didn't really mix humour and horror, though. It was almost exclusively light-hearted in tone.

The TED talk demonstrated the mentality and motivations of the character who was financing the mission. Relatively inconsequential to the later developing story, but it gave the film a believable foundation (and some useful insight to a prominent character, when rewatched with hindsight). This footage doesn't really do that. There are some ham-fisted nudge-nudge, wink-wink moments, like, "I've got your back," followed by a reference to the mission being further out than has been attempted before. Nothing in this will really add to the eventual film.

It's OK as a scene, just way too random for me to feel enthusiastic about.

QuoteHere? It's like someone couldn't come up with a better idea than having characters verbally f**k around, realised that would be underwhelming, then impulsively went, "Uhh... Pretend there's a birth scene - except not!" That's when it came across as hammy.

I think they were having someone choke on their dinner. Are you telling me you thought anyone really thought it'd be a "birth" scene? Of course not. It's just a nod, a wink. No harm, no foul, if you ask me.

The ones who thought it up (apparently Ridley scott) clearly thought it would make some people believe we were going to see a hatching, yes. That was the entire point of why it was there - it's mirroring Kane.

I genuinely thought the character was going to burst into laughter and go, "Gotcha', you guys!" This old advert definitely came to mind:

QuoteDidn't even notice the gay couple, but in fairness, how do we know they aren't bisexual? Never quite understood the logic of Scott's assumptions that everyone on long space journeys away from home would automatically turn bisexual, however... Oil rigs and submarines don't generally lead to that, so spaceships wouldn't magically do so.

Ever heard the phrase, Any port in a storm?

That usually doesn't apply to a gender you typically have zero attraction to, though. Especially if there are members of your preferred gender who are around. Like I say, it generally doesn't happen on oil rigs and submarines. Same reason as you likely wouldn't have a gay man, who's surrounded exclusively by women for a year, suddenly become heterosexual. There have to at least be dormant bisexual inclinations for that to happen. If they aren't there, it won't happen.

QuoteThe one thing you don't want to do, when promoting a horror film, is to leave the potential audience with an impression of comedy.

Unless you want to catch them off guard, you don't. Maybe Scott has something up his sleeve.

But there were no hidden surprises. This was it. It kind of ends on a vaguely solemn note, but viewers - rightly - are focusing on the most dramatic element (the fake-out), not the speech right at the end.

Russ840

Can you imagine the ecosystem that xenomorphs would naturally inhabit if they were naturally occurring.

There would have to be evolutionary balance. So where as they may be apex predators in the environment, there would likely creatures that are immune to impreganation, animals that neutralise there acid blood during fights so as not to get hurt and so on.

This world would be very harsh. Humans would not last a minute if they landed on that planet.

Would be a spectacle to say the least.

What would the aptmosphere be like. They seem to be able to survive in vacuum so how would they evolve this way.  Based on science as we know it and the rules in which our understanding of physics and chemistry  dictate, nothing could evolve on a planet with no aptmoshere.

As much as I would love to see their home world and natural ecosystem, I doubt they evolved. They look to be designed. Nothing can evolve to be that perfect.

Although. All of my pondering here is based on things as humans understand. So. Who knows lol.

reecebomb

reecebomb

Quote from: Darth Vile on Feb 24, 2017, 11:56:54 AM

I have a tendency to believe that Hollywood make far too many sequels and remakes... often at the expense of original ideas. However, the original film (Alien obviously) still exists, and can still be watched as a standalone film in its own right... nothing changes... just like Jaws, A New Hope or Raiders of the Lost Ark. Of course it can be argued that some of the mystery is lost e.g. who was the space jockey? Where did the eggs come from? But I don't believe that this element of mystery is fundamental to the appreciation of the original film. Alien Covenant is probably the last opportunity to make a film, which is connected to the originals, whilst being able to give it a new perspective. I think there's every chance it can be a worthwhile venture, even whilst acknowledging it will more than likely fall short of Alien/Aliens... in terms of originality, design etc.

I strongly believe that the mystery is very fundamental of the Alien experience. Imagine seeing both Prometheus and Alien:Covenant before Alien (like most people from now on probably will), would the original film still be as powerful? Even when i've seen Alien a zillion times before, when it gets to the space jockey part, i now can't help myself but to think how badly Prometheus f**ked it  all up. Threre is now a very slim chance that Covenant won't make it worse, made much slimmer after this very mediocre unworthy clip. 

BishopShouldGo

Well you're not supposed to see Prometheus or Covenant before Alien, in that sense.

There's a difference between mystery and...not using the universe's potential and expanding.

Pvt. Himmel

I think i know why Branson is sick??

Spoiler
I remember hearing that there is a scene where Daniels is watching a video message from him when he is mountain climbing... maybe he was sick cause of that??
[close]

Darth Vile

Quote from: reecebomb on Feb 24, 2017, 04:45:36 PM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Feb 24, 2017, 11:56:54 AM

I have a tendency to believe that Hollywood make far too many sequels and remakes... often at the expense of original ideas. However, the original film (Alien obviously) still exists, and can still be watched as a standalone film in its own right... nothing changes... just like Jaws, A New Hope or Raiders of the Lost Ark. Of course it can be argued that some of the mystery is lost e.g. who was the space jockey? Where did the eggs come from? But I don't believe that this element of mystery is fundamental to the appreciation of the original film. Alien Covenant is probably the last opportunity to make a film, which is connected to the originals, whilst being able to give it a new perspective. I think there's every chance it can be a worthwhile venture, even whilst acknowledging it will more than likely fall short of Alien/Aliens... in terms of originality, design etc.

I strongly believe that the mystery is very fundamental of the Alien experience. Imagine seeing both Prometheus and Alien:Covenant before Alien (like most people from now on probably will), would the original film still be as powerful? Even when i've seen Alien a zillion times before, when it gets to the space jockey part, i now can't help myself but to think how badly Prometheus f**ked it  all up. Threre is now a very slim chance that Covenant won't make it worse, made much slimmer after this very mediocre unworthy clip.
For me personally it makes no difference. The mystery in Alien wasn't specifically a part of the narrative (e.g. who is Luke Skywalker's dad?), the mystery was inferred. Don't get me wrong, I much prefer the notion that the derelict and space jockey were ancient and I'd rather David not be responsible for xenos, but it doesnt spoil my enjoyment of Alien and Aliens... just as The Force Awakens doesn't spoil my enjoyment of The Empire Strikes Back. And that will apply to 99% of the general audience. The film will stand on its own merits. If it's good, great. If it's bad, we still have the films we like...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed