Alien Virginity

Started by Newsfop, Feb 28, 2007, 07:32:13 PM

Author
Alien Virginity (Read 5,024 times)

SM

SM

I dunno.  I think Aliens does it about as well.  After the hive thing, they plan the defence then it slows a little with the Ripley-Hicks-Newt triangle forming and the gradual emergence of Burke as the bad guy, but it amps up again with the Aliens approaching and Bishop's crawl to the uplink tower, and then from 'the huggers in medlab' sequence until the end of the film it barely lets up.

Though it is a different kind of action.  Alien is "What's around the next corner?";  Aliens is "We know what's around the next corner - how the f**k are we going to get away from it?"

Mystic Lemons

Mystic Lemons

Quote from: BrokenTusk on Mar 05, 2007, 02:56:56 AM

which makes me wonder, how well would Alien do in theaters today ?

Well, the reaction from the 'kids' who were in the same screening of the DC as me was "God, that was boring."

I hate kids today.

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

I remember, for some reason, when I was very young I was desperate to see the films, and when I was finally allowed I was about six or seven. I can still remember how scared I was when Dallas was cought in the air duct by the alien.

BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk

kids have to realize that this was from the late 70's, and though it slowly paced IMO, it had a terrific plot, a scary creature and believable characters. also the original ending in one of the earlier drafts of the scripts was very dark. Instead of Ripley surviving, the Alien kills her and then mimics her voice, and you see Earth in the background.

Though Aliens will always be my favorite out of the 4.

Meathead320

Meathead320

Hmmm,

Never heard of that planned ending.

I am glad they did not do this, as Aliens was and still is a good film.

Slow paced for sure, but when you see it you almost feel like you are there.

That feeling I just don't get from the ADHD movies these days.

Not saying I need movies to be slow, but throw in an extra 10 minutes of nothing going on besides character interaction etc..., and I can feel like I am not watching a Sci-Fi or horror movie.

That is a good thing, because then, when the scary shit hits the fan, you get all the more surprised by it.

The "OMG I did not see that coming", feeling. Yeah, you really did, because you paid to go see Sci-Fi, you paid to see a "horror in space, or from space", but if a little extra time is put in for characterization, and you can forget for just that extra little bit that this is supposed to be scary, then you can be frightened all that much more when it gets scary, or get excited more when the action starts happening.

Sort of like Muskie fishig.

For those who are in Europe, a Muskie is a fish, a larger more aggressive, and elusive cousin to the Pike. Sort of like a pike on Growth hormone and anabolic steroids.

They are also very picky eaters, and only eat about 4 times a month. Because of their rarity it is sort of an unwritten rule those who fish for them specifically release all their catch. It is more of a sport fish than a game fish.
                     You can fish for them all day, on several occasions, and not see a single Muskie. Then once in a while you catch one, and it is the most exciting thing ever, and what keeps the fisherman coming back to try their luck again.

The point is, to be entertained you do not need non-stop action, you need build up to the action, and then the action to not be a let down.

Who durring the slow build up at the beginning of A2, long ago the first time they saw it, would have thought that near the end Ripley would be in a Power-loader fighting for her life against an Alien Queen?

scarface

scarface

I saw predator 2 at 3, and i was hooked, but since i didnt know the name ( please dont get offended as i was jsut 3 ) i would always say, " Mommy can we watch that movie with the brown guy ", my parents would be like what, that year on my birthday, my dad got me the renegade pred.

I saw aliens before alien, but before i saw it agian 4 years ago all i could remember was me sitting down wiht my dad and i would always say, poor girl, and stuff like that, ahh the good times i had with my dad before he left us.

silversurfer

silversurfer

Cant remember. From the begining to the end. I still do alien weekends..very often. I think my discs are gonna get burned through soon.

Vader the White

Vader the White

Quote from: Meathead320 on Mar 10, 2007, 06:31:47 PM
That feeling I just don't get from the ADHD movies these days.

Hey, I have ADHD!!!!!!!!!!!!

gameoverman

gameoverman

I saw Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection at the cinema.  I was too young to watch the earlier ones, but I saw them on video/TV.  I watched Alien Resurrection 4 times when it came out.  Looking back, I'm glad I did, as it was the last Alien movie released for over 10 years.

Dekapitator

Dekapitator

I saw the Alien movies when I was 5-6. The first one I saw was Alien. "I watched it with my parents." If I remember correctly, my mother quickly lost interest in the movie and left, while my dad fell asleep, so it was almost like watching it alone. Didn't have any nightmares. I liked the Aliens' look alot and after watching the other movies my interest in them grew. I started drawing the Xenos, when I got older and got the computer+internet I searched the net for information etc. and the rest is history.

Grid Alien

Grid Alien

My Dad and I watched Alien Reserection together when iwas was in day care (four years old) so at that time i was to young to be scared of movies, let me tell you tho my mom got really pissed at my dad for showing me that (mosty because i started saying the the f word) so after that i wateched all the other films

Grid Alien

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Well when i was four i saw the first alien movies back to back...to back, and i remember that i was entranced by the way that these creatures were so F'N smart, the first Alien movie, was like scary in a way, because so few people are in a ship and most rooms are small, while that Damn Alien can be hiding anywhere and kill you before you even know it. Going anywhere alone on the ship would freak anyone out with an Alien from god knows where, ready to strike. The second movie Aliens, amazed me because even well trained marines weren't ready to face creatures that used stealth and cunning to get to you. These things for the first time really showed how smart they are in this movie. And the queen was awesome, the way that i noticed that she practically let Ripley leave when she called back her children from attacking her, and Ripley either by revenge or stupdidity decided to attack her anyway hence a cool battle against the alien queen and her demise. Alien 3 was interesting because they decided to go with the one Alien killing everyone approach. I mean even then i thought it was ridiculuos that this one Alien would be able to kill so many people, but then again there were huge open spaces which makes it even better so that the Alien could hide. Seeing as how this time it was a dog alien i was looking forward to what it would like, but i was sort of dissapointed because i really wanted to see something different with how the way it looked like, and correct if i'm wrong but at least they made it faster than most Aliens. Alien Resurrection i watched with my family, it had been four and a half years since i had seen an Alien movie, and was looking forward to what they would do this time around. The only awesome thing that i noticed that i didn't know before was that the Weylan-Yutani corp. or whatever, was corrupt and that they had been searching or trying to get an Alien speciman to bring back to earth, this made me want to see the original three to rediscover these films just when i had first saw them years ago at the age of four.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed